1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice on a 96 golf petrol 5 speed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SunnyJim, Feb 23, 2012.

1. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

Does anyone on this forum have experience with VW golfs? A 1996 petrol 2 litre 5 speed.
    I am looking at a first car for my daughter. It looks in good nick and price is good. However the owner let me know it has hot start problem that he has not got looked at yet.

With a Google you can find this issue is not limited to VW's.
    Does anyone know the likely remedy and what it would cost?

Do you think this is major enough not to buy the car?

2. SunnyJim

I bought it anyway, I guess I now have to join a golf forum!

3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

4. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Hi Sunny Jim

Just bought my son a golf 97 MK3 - you need to find a mechanic that has access to fault reader for this type of car - lots of senors and electrics - otherwise it will be hit and miss - but from experience it sounds like the ECU relay no #30 - but get it hook up to read the error codes its throwing.

5. SunnyJim

thanks guys

i did a little bit of work today and I cannot see any spark coming out of the coil and into the dizzy HT

I think that is a good place to start with

also I do not know a real lot about ECUs but I am assuming regarless this is a computerized car that when u turn the starter there should be spark at the dizzy HT

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Sounds like a Hall sensor in the distributor. Common problem.

7. Weeds

Weeds Member

Hey,

I own a 96 Golf, but mine is the VR6.

Join up vwwatercooled and look up Jmac, he is the water cooled guru mechanic and is based out on the Southside.

8. greenbay

greenbay New Member

Get her a corolla,it'll cause you both a lot less grief!

9. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Paul, flick Steve - kombirescue- a pm - he services these as well.Cheers, Mark

10. SunnyJim

it is not a kombi but still a VW!

thanks all for the suggestions

it is not a kombi but still a VW!

[​IMG]

11. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Paul,

Is that PINK!!! I see or is that just the colour being washed out in the photo??

Golf's are great by the way as long as one of your drivers doesnt do stunt training in it.

The Mk3 2.0L are a good and fairly simple fuel injected donk and very reliable from what I have heard. Listen to Phill Lander too - he has had quite a few Golfs in his days and knows lots about them. He pointed me to fix a common problem I had and it cost me nothing to fix.

12. SunnyJim

no not pink , it is very red

scott

no not pink , it is very red

hey Phil - syncro

good to know you know about the VW golf , I will have to pick your brains.

Can you tell me a bit more about the hall sensor as I don't yet have a Haynes Golf manual.

Does it feed the primary side (input) of the ignition coil? when the golf would not start I checked the output of the coil and there is no High voltge spark to feed the dizzy. This could be the actual coil itsef or maybe their is no input to the coil? I think this is a pulse and I have no oscilloscope or PC to check that

I am waiting on the arrival of a new coil to put in and then see how it goes

13. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Paul,

This sounds like what happened to me in my syncro. No spark from the coil so I replaced it and the ignition module to find no go then had to source a replacement optical sensor in the dizzy which is basically what Phill suggested. The sensors dont like heat and water which is how I killed mine - driving through massive craters filled with water on a stinking hot day.

New sensor and away he goes.

I found a guy in Sydney that calls himself GTI Import Parts. Seemed very reasonable and sells nothing but golf parts.

Let me know if you want his details.

14. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

It's inside the distributor and does the same thing as points.

15. Hally

Hally Member

Owned a 96 Mk3 Golf Rolling Stones Limited Edition when in the UK.....Very Very nice car..wish we ought it back with us.

We only had one issue where the coil pack died. When I pulled it out it was all swollen. RAC guy said it was a common problem. Not sure is it would attribute to your hot start problem, but it may. (I'm no auto elect)

Hally