1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice on best year camper to buy

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by gemma, Jan 28, 2008.

1. gemma

gemma New Member

Hi just joined in. I am thinking of turning back the years and buying another k kombie want a camper what do you all suggest I am thinking 76 model ???

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The later the better!
    They improved over the years and '77 to '79 had better build quality as they were made in Germany, but anything after '73 is good.

3. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

Definately agree with Phil and if you are looking for a quality Kombi that is going to be reliable follow his advice to the letter.

If you want a classic shape that is going to be even more sexy and cool as the years pass (not that all Kombis aren't sexy classics) then a lowlight bay window 68 - 71' is the go. Not as safe nor mechanically advanced as a later Bay but in my opinion oh so cool.

I am a little biased though!

Check out some of the restos on here.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  4. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

If you need just a little bit more room then an early '80's has about 6 inches more width and are still air cooled. Don't know much about the water cooled ones. Probably the same inside.

5. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Who couldn't love a lowlight!

6. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

If you like having in-dash fans, get a '76 as they stopped putting the "ambulance fans" in from '77 onwards. '76 had the same 2L engine and gearbox as later ones so performance will be the same, But as Phil said... better build quality and a few very minor but worthwhile detail improvements after '76 as they were all imported from Germany from '77 on when Aussie VW production in Melbourne ceased.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  7. gemma

gemma New Member

GEE thanks

thanks guys can"t wait to sell my damn Toyoto import Great motor but real pain for parts as the years go bye,corona ex. saloon.
    Will be seriously on the look out. definatly want a camper though, for the obcious reasons, and cant wait to start waving again.

8. joninmelbourne

joninmelbourne New Member

The early 80's air cooled Kombis are more prone to heating according to my VW mechanic as they weigh more than the 70's ones, but have the same engine and power output. This was the reason VW turn over to water cooling the engine. Cheers

9. Baldwithabeard

Baldwithabeard Active Member

...and what's wrong with the '72 lowlights ?

10. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

Its just those ugly rear lights, big square ears ..... the list goes on!

Nah - only kidding a good 72 lowlight would be hard to pass up!

11. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

No problems with my '82 air cooled. Done about 250,000ks + camping in all conditions from snow to 42+ C, on all kinds of road with probably 100K of that towing a trailer. I think it depends on how you treat it. The change to water cooled engines was driven by a need to comply with emissions and not overheating. In fact I have heard the opposite with the early water cooled beasts that tended to overheat.

12. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

Kombi dad is right i have known these later vw water cooled engines to have serious problems with over heating and can be absolute hell to try and fix
    i had one a 2 years ago it was a night mare to fix not for me but for the owners back pocket well it was for me as i was working on it . But it was still not fixed in the long run and it was just passed on to some one else despite every thing known to a me to fix it
    to this day it's still got me stumped and at the time very sleepless nights .

my advise is later the better but still be prepared to spend money on it no matter what condition its in . but once you have it the way you want it the money pits tends to increase again the positives very much outway the negatives with vw kombis . its a lifestyle , friendship , eye opener all in one neat package esp being a kombi club member is the best thing !!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008