1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice - Towing a light trailer.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 68BUS, Apr 11, 2018.

1. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Sorry. Altered my post above when I read your earlier one properly ;)

I sometimes use servo truckstops. Can be disturbing with trucks starting thru the night.
    Some roadside ones may be trucks only?
    On others ensure you are parked so that trucks can enter and leave easily or they get touchy.

Some sites more suitable than others.

Definitely useful for free camps and overnight stops on the run plus a quick stop without unpacking the van.

You guys prob don't get to sleep in as long as me but still recon some light insulation in roof and walls ensure a warm night plus slow build up of heat from sun in morning.
    A house battery plus small flexible solar to run lights and any accessories.

Definitely an early morning pastry run rather than hrs of breaking camp :)

68BUS likes this.
  2. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Seen some good cabinets set up with a leisure battery in the lower part of the kitchen. Which would be ideal for us. Something that can charge off the bus but then we could hook up a trickle charger to at powered sites to save worrying about needed to hook the bus up. The fridge would still run off the bus battery due to the storage space of it. So the camper would only need to run lights and fans inside. So a 100amp hour would be more then enough I think.

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

4. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Yeah, Fridge is too big to go in the trailer. I have seen photos with tiny fridges in them but cannot see the point. Elliott eats more ham in a sitting then would fit in one.

5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

More like 3 months.

To save weight and money you could go much smaller and maybe use a gel battery.

68BUS likes this.
  6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Geeze . how big is the fridge. ?
    Next time you are past Gumpie I'll put you on to a farm that processes their own completly pasture raised pigs :)
    That should cause enough hassles next time he is presented with some water injected supermarket ham copy. :D

7. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Dont worry. Anita is already onto the nitrate free ham raised on a strict diet of the underarm hair of hippys and rainbows.
    Not sure how many litres but standard camp fridge / freezer. About the size of 3 1/2 cartons of beer stacked next to one another. So big enough to take a big chunk of room. Might work of front draw bar with some weather protection though.

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Might be a continual issue with drawbar weight with fridge.?

Something a lot of retards with 4wd need to learn is adjusting loads or headlights.
    :rolleyes:

You could start a mobile grog or bbq supply with that fridge.

Think I might prefer nitrates to hippy armpits. Could end up with a porcine version of Casu marzu.:eek:

9. jjdz

jjdz Active Member

We had 2 bikes on draw bar when we sold it we removed the bikes made a world of difference to ball weight so much lighter

10. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Brad, I regularly tow one of these:
    http://podtrailer.com.au/pod-trailer/
    As Col mentioned....sensible load placement over the axle, reduces tow ball weight.
    With a fully loaded camper,two people and towing the trailer loaded, I returned an average of 13.04 ltrs/100 km. on our round trip to Stanthorpe.
    The bus has a stock 2 ltr in very good condition, regularly maintained &serviced.
    If you drive to suit the load & conditions , you’ll have no issues I’m sure.
    PS. LOVE the Pod trailer !
    Cheers,
    Mark

11. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Cool looking trailer Mark.
    I am awaiting feedback from Autocraft Engineering for a package price for one of their tow systems. I look forward to getting the Teardrop hooked upto the bus and seeing how it goes.
    Will certainly make a difference for us traveling which will be nice.

12. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

I could 'borrow' your teardrop to test it out if you like Brad while you are waiting for that towbar?

13. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

More then welcome too mate. No rego for now and needs some work inside, but no issues once I have them sorted if you want to borrow for a weekend away.

14. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Hey Brad, we had a 1960s tear drop until last year. We put it behind our then 1600 kombi Cookie, on the flat it was if it wasn’t there, didn’t like the hills but. It only weighed 620 odd ks. Trying to find a pic, but no luck thus far.

15. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Only ones I can find thus far, will keep searching.

1819A9A1-F85C-43E4-B17A-C11DEB3D503B.png

Attached Files:

16. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Nice Brian,
    I am hoping that if I can be logical I can keep weight down. Reality is the tent we normally carry is about 50kg. Plus maybe another 30kg of other things we might not have to bring will keep additional weight the engine is pushing at about 300-400kg.

BrianK likes this.
  17. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Geeze Brian.
    First photo shows a fair load on the roof rack :eek:

68BUS likes this.
  18. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

You should be fine Brad.

Have distributed it well ey Col.

19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

How's cornering and supermarket carparks ?
    No probs re shockies.
    Should be permenantly hard on bump stops :eek:

BrianK likes this.
  20. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Ok you got me, game over.