1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

air cooled fuel lines

Discussion in 'Performance' started by chris taylor, May 11, 2016.

1. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Once again that question of fuel lines raises its ugly head.

Walked into the garage this morning and there it was , that awful smell of leaking fuel, so down on my knees, look under the rear end and sure enough there it is ,drip by drip ,petrol leaking once again from the hose between the tank and the filter, the one that I wont touch,{the others I would}
    As it was only a small leak got it down to Mechanics to be fixed.
    Then came the discussion of hoses . SAE J30 R7 is the hose that is currently being used .
    Something kept telling me that this no longer the hose I should be having fitted as it is no longer suitable for todays fuels which have that dreaded ETHANOL added to it ,
    I then found a site [www.volksbolts.com] which gives one all the low down on what fuel hoses are suitable foe what application and the R7 hose is not compatible with Ethanol and should not be used . It appears that SAE J30 R9 is compatible and is the only hose that should be used where Ethanol is an issue.
    If you have any doubts about this, please check this web site for more information.

www.volksbolts.com

2. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

SAE J30 R7 is ethanol compatible, a quick search will tell you that. Yes R9 is a better hose, less permeation through the hose, higher pressure rating(fuel injection over carb applications

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  3. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Ethanol NOT recommended for Kombi..

StevieVW likes this.
  4. chris taylor

G/day mackaymanx thanks for your input ,according to" Volksbolts" the only one that is resistant to ethanol is the R9 rated f/inj hose.
    Also "Goss " fuel hose Reps are now saying that for air cooled engines fuel hoses should be using hoses with an R9 rating ,any thing less could be unwise .
    Ihave been using R7 and this is why I am having a few problems.
    My van is now using all R9 rated fuel lines so will see how it goes.
    If you check the web site that I put on the previous post you will see what I mean.
    many regards Chris

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  5. deger

deger Active Member

Great info. Where did you source your fuel line from?

6. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Bursons stock goss hose. I have been told to avoid ethanol fuel or fuel less than octane 95 rating.

7. deger

deger Active Member

Paul, thanks for this info. I agree with what you've been told about fuel choices. We only put premium into Moby as I do with my 64 MG. I'm due to replace our fuel lines and just wanted to know what was the best choice of quality hose. We don't use much hose so I think it pays to use the best you can get.

8. chris taylor

Bursons , I strongly recommend that every body reads the information that is available on the Volksbolts site so you can fully understand what this is all about . this site will explain what each R rated hose is designed for .
    The R9 rated hose is impervious to biofuels and especially ethanol, it also has a pressure rating of 100psi where other hoses have 50psi and it is mainly rated as a fuel injection hose.

9. chris taylor

Although my preference is 95 it is not always available in country towns .
    One other point that comes to light with this subject is that in Australia any Ethanol blended fuel must have by law a corrosion inhibitor added to it , this information is freely available on the Bio-Fuel web site established by the Aust Govt. Not sure how that works but that what they say.

10. deger

deger Active Member

Chris, is there any difference between 95 and 98 for the Kombi ? I was told to only use 98 but 95 would do in a pinch.

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Difference between 95_98 octane wont affect stock kombi engine.

12. chris taylor

When I have had to use 98 oct I have not noticed any difference also My mechanic said what cbus said it will not hurt the engine at all so either one is ok in my book.

13. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Do not notice any difference between 91, 95, 98 in our stock 2 litre.

14. chris taylor

That's an interesting observation Alpal, I did notice a difference between 91 and 95 I think, but no difference between 95 and 98 , but having said that was there a difference or was it my imagination. what ever it was I will stay with 95 and be safe and the extra cost per tank is equivalent to a cup of coffee. ;)

Resnort likes this.
  15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Differences are largely dependent on individual engines.
    Lots of variables in condition and tune.

Some engines will have better combustion on a particular fuel and accordingly better power and efficiency

Basicaly no difference in energy contained in the blends but the higher RON can allow for mechanical improvements to gain greater power and efficiency.

16. chris taylor

Yes cbus, have heard this before, was reading a statement made by a bloke in states { who used to build and race VWs} in regards to different oct ratings in fuel, and in his opinion on a stock standard engine there was no visible difference in performance, temp, or fuel consumption, His name was from memory was something like, Berne Racing, who by the way is now deceased. Like you he was of the opinion that any improvement comes from correct tuning not higher or lower Octane fuel, [food for thought] . Never the less I will stay with 95 for my own peace of mind until until it can be proven to be a waste of money or otherwise.
    The more one digs the more complicated it gets:rolleyes: but it is interesting.

17. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

Premiums are cleaner leaving much less carbon crap and build up over time, depending on a good tune obviously.

Also less likely to contain ethanol

chris taylor likes this.
  18. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That's to inhibit the corrosion that the fuel causes. I've just seen a tank from a T3 that the guy has been using ethanol in. Rust holes everywhere. At a pinch I would rather use 91 than ethanol.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  19. chris taylor

. At a pinch I would rather use 91 than ethanol.[/QUOTE]

Yep your right Phill, at a pinch, but there is a lot scare tactics going on in relation to ethanol being put in higher oct fuels to reduce the cost to the fuel outlets , I cant say that it does not occur but I would say its unlikely, due to the strict regulations put in place by the controlling bodies. Hopefully those strict policies are still being upheld.

syncro likes this.
  20. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

I did not realise it was possible to purchase 91 octane fuel that didn't have ethanol in it?

Resnort likes this.