1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

air cooled fuel lines

Discussion in 'Performance' started by chris taylor, May 11, 2016.

1. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

some still do, Freedom for example has an E10 91 and a basic 91

2. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

If I can find a NON ethanol 91 in Brunswick heads this weekend I will drive home to brisbane on it and report back. What is the worst that could happen? Should I expect running hotter, pinging, inability to climb hills or is there the possibility of permanent damage. I am already convinced ethanol should be avoided.

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Maybe, which could lead to permanent damage. This time of year would be less likely than in summer.

Probably not.

There is the possibility.

Why do you want to use 91? I wont even put it in my lawnmower.

Resnort likes this.
  4. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

great response. older leaded fuels etc had a higher octane than 91 anyway. in saying that my airpumper was leaded and still says min 91 printed in the ring around the filler neck

5. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

]
    cbus theres a message in there somewhere me thinks......:)

6. chris taylor

If its ethanol free I would think you shouldn't have any problems at all, albeit a bit sluggish perhaps. and not to flash on the hills and maybe a bit hotter but drop it back a cog and all is well.

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

If it shows any of those issues then it is a problem as the fuel either isnt igniting easily or its suffering preignition.
    Both not healthy for the engine

There is no difference in the energy value of the fuel.

syncro likes this.
  8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

It may show if your engine tolerates 91.?

Other than that it shows nothing as we already know that some engines are fine in it and others are not.
    Its the engine variations that are making the difference .

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I also thought that all 91 in qld had been mandated to contain ethanol??
    Maybe you will have better chance in that other country;)

10. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

I have an oil temp gauge so can monitor the temps. To answer the why, I just sometimes like to find out via demonstration rather than theory or opinion where it is possible. That is part of the fun of a vehicle like this to me, wouldn't consider it with a modern car that I expect to operate at 100% availability. I am already sure that using 98 runs cooler and even slightly better mileage, but not enough to justify the extra cost per litre. As col stated, in qld I may not have the choice anyway as it seems all to be e91.

11. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Will probably make negligible difference on oil temperature. Cylinder head temperature gauge may show a difference. If it runs cooler on 98 I would be using that. If it runs hotter it is damaging your engine. Do the maths and work out the cost difference over an extended period of time. Then add in to the equation if you require a head replacement after a few years.

It's a bit like how long is a piece of string. I'm just a bit cautious. ;)

I, like many others stuffed a VW motor many years ago by using standard fuel.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  12. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

why people risk a $10k engine rebuild on 10c a litre is beyond me. if you want to save money on fuel, ride a bike.

syncro and Ben49 like this.
  13. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

I guess that why I was asking. If there is a chance it could break my engine, I won't risk the experiment. The engine was rebuilt in 1992 by Roger at Southside VW and has only done 120k since then so I am hoping it will keep on going on.

14. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

I agree with the sentiment, it is only $5 a tank after all.

However, I was just offering to conduct the experiment and hopefully put the issue to bed for the benefit of others in this forum. If you read an earlier post, the 91 option is probably not even available to me in QLD, so it is not driven by the $$.

That is the first I have heard of 91 actually trashing an engine.

15. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

not directly. but if your engine isnt tuned properly (has vacuum leaks, poor spark etc) then pre igintion or detonation can wreck valves and guides. causing excess heat at the heads you can even drop a valve seat.

16. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I tried that experiment in 1971 and failed miserably!:(
    It cost me new valves and some head work. Was told by mechanics to never use standard fuel again.

17. chris taylor

I would rather spend my $10 a week now than $10000 in one hit latter. think of it like an insurance policy, its a lot easier that way.

18. chris taylor

Seems a bit odd to say the least that down here in the nether regions of this great land we have e10 plus 91 but you do not, not sure why that would be ???

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  19. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That's why I use genuine or OEM oil filters and good oil.

20. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I am not 100% sure on that.
    Qld is a different country tho and it is at times politicaly advantageous to crack out the smoke and mirrors and feign cheap support for the local sugar industry.

Do recall some suggestion of it tho.

syncro likes this.