1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air flow meter t3 89

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by The zaps, Mar 27, 2020.

1. The zaps

The zaps New Member

Hey guys,

Im searching for an air flow meter to fit my 89 t3. if anyone has one or knows where I could pick one up?
    cheers, Zaps

2. hairyman

hairyman Active Member

Hey man, sorry you're not having much luck with this.

I had a look to see if anyone was selling a rebuild kit for the AFM but I haven't found one yet. I did find this thread on a forum which gave some good ideas and explanation on how to adjust the one part that is a regular water item, and how to set the AFM up properly http://www.k100-forum.com/t11055-bosch-air-flow-meter-restoration-summary

I don't know how hands on you are, but have you tried taking the square black lid off the top of the AFM to see what condition the tracks are in? This is the bit that is usually the culprit in a failing AFM. Sorry I can't come down and give you a hand, with the current 'roni-madness going on.

The zaps likes this.
  3. The zaps

The zaps New Member

you've been super helpful mate and I really appreciate it. ive had a look inside and it all seems to be working ok from what ive been told, ive taken off the CO2 sensor and its still doing the flat spot/cutting out. I'm going to try the lume/ impedence extension I'm getting off lucky Phil, (that's used for vanagon syndrome) if its not that ill have to start looking at other things, fuel injectors or something

hairyman likes this.
  4. The zaps

The zaps New Member

thanks again mate, and no worries.

hairyman likes this.
  5. hairyman

hairyman Active Member

It is frustrating because there are a couple of things I can think of that can cause what you are describing (and probably a bunch I haven't thought of).

AFM, Hall Sensor, T2 coolant temperature sensor, O2 sensor, fuel pressure, and vacuum leaks could all be contributing to this. Have you got the Digifant troubleshooting manual? http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/DigifantProTrainingManual.pdf is pretty good at walking a mechanic through the things that can be out of adjustment or not working in the Digifant system for different engine performance problems

The zaps and David H like this.
  6. beerboy

beerboy Well-Known Member

David H, The zaps and hairyman like this.
  7. hairyman

hairyman Active Member

David H and The zaps like this.