1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Albert the 1976 microbus

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by TeeBee, May 7, 2019.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Sure sounds like a top end rebuild with the lack of power & smoke:(. Anyone done a compression test (it's how hard it can bang (produce power) inside the engine!)

Here's my best attempt for you;). Try this. Tell him you love him in German. Now repeat this out loud "Ich leibe dich". That should get your German personality (It's a very guttural language!) encouraged & endear him to you at the same time:p.
    Cheers

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  2. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if the first mechanic did one or not, but he was convinced that a rebuild was required. The current mechanic said it *might* just be the carby (if I'm lucky), but he would investigate.
    Oh dear, that could make things awkward! Ha ha! I did learn a little bit of German in high school. The only phrase I remember is, "es ist windig", (it is windy) - I don't think that will help much at all! :rolleyes:

3. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You might have to tell him "it is windy":confused: ,a lot being said but not much happening on the work front.:eek:;)

Ninga, Mr Beckstar, micklyan and 2 others like this.
  4. David H

Current mechanic is not a mechanic if he's not working from a factual position of engine compression.
    There is no need to remove engine to do 'carby' rich mixture (black smoke) stuff.
    Try this one on him with my high school German;).
    Scheiss Kopf or just go the basic dummkoff;):p:D.
    Cheers

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  5. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

:(
    Ha ha - I don't need to look those up! :D

6. David H

Like me ..you did learn some high school German;). Zwie bier bitte:). One for each of us:D
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar and TeeBee like this.
  7. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Well, I went to visit my mechanic yesterday and there's some good news! He did a bit more adjusting, then started up my bus last Monday and there was no smoke billowing out the back. He said it was the carbies after all, so a rebuild is not needed. He said there's a couple of other things he wants to fix - i.e., the auto chokes are broken, so he's ordered some parts to fix that, and he also wants to adjust the tappets. Depending on when the parts arrive, I should get Albert back next week. :) If I find, later on, that he needs an engine rebuild, I'll take him somewhere else, but things are sounding good so far. :D

Ninga, David H, micklyan and 6 others like this.
  8. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

good news (that he woke up to himself :eek:)
    ...as David previously said... black smoke indicates rich mixture. if it was blue smoke (oil) it would have been more likely that a tear down was needed

David H and TeeBee like this.
  9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Lot of friggin around beforebefore ch the basics.

Ensure you have some fresh fuel as well.
    Looses it's guts after sitting a few months.

MOST Important thing before driving is renew fuel lines unless they have been done recently.
    Have Mech check spiggot of fuel line into carbs for tight fit.

Best to drain and refresh if there's still some
    " miss" on the engine.
    New Fuel filter.
    New NGK plugs, new points, valve adjust, adjust carbs, new oil and filter, check no miss at idle once warmed up and also thru rev range.
    Check spark plug leads are copper core type.
    Check ends into dissy cap clean and firm.
    Listen for the crack of stray sparks.
    Connections on coil clean and firm
    Same for battery terminals.
    New or clean air filter.
    Check for stray sparking at night across spark plug leads. Don't worry about minor traces along cables.

Change oil again at a few hundred miles.
    Check how dirty it is.
    Check for crud inside oil strainer plate.
    Pull spark plugs straight after a highway run and check colours of electrodes. (Let it cool first)
    Check "Ratwell " site or manual for proceedures.

Degreaser underneath of engine only.
    Wipe inside engine bay if crudded with a rag .
    Check for oil leaks and identify sources.

A few miles with things set correctly and a couple of oil changes can clean up a bit if it has been neglected.

There's more but that will be a good start and begin your familiarisation with engine.

Read up the basics .
    https://www.ratwell.com

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Ninga, TeeBee and Mr Beckstar like this.
  10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

It you have reason to think that the mechanic is actually suitably qualified ( some supporting edividence / opinions from other customers would be good), then it may be worth having a couple of services done by him.
    At least he now has some idea of its condition.
    Another mech will be starting from scratch and this will cost again.
    The current mech may be inclined to be a bit more responsive now it appears fixable

If you don't have confidence in him then seek references for another.

Eventually it's worth learning what you can about maintaining your own vehicle regardless of the degree that you are likely to do such but initial services are best done by someone qualified as " hopefuly"?? they will be more inclined to check important issues .
    Even tho that can be hit and miss.:rolleyes:

Learning yourself is good but if you don't yet have the basics then you could miss important issues or have an expensive learning process.

Ask mech what has been done and expect an itemised account.
    This helps you learn, provides evidence, gives basics for any following work/ mechanic.

Ninga, David H, TeeBee and 2 others like this.
  11. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

He's a good mechanic, he works on my non-kombi car all the time and he's always been great. For some reason, he thought I wasn't "in a hurry", even though I made sure I didn't say this to him when I took my bus there. :rolleyes: Anyway, even though it took a while, I'm glad I took it to him, because he's saved me a lot of money. The last mechanic was just going to jump right in and do the top end rebuild. Lucky for me, there were a few "clues" that I needed to ditch the previous mechanic.

Yes, exactly what worries me... But I'll keep trying to learn some stuff at least.

Ninga, David H, cbus and 1 other person like this.
  12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

That sounds more positive.
    Stick with him.
    Along with the carb sorting ask ( in case you haven't already) him to give it a general checkever to ensure its safe and provide a list of things that may need attn sometime in the future.

I rechecked the pics you put up and it looks a quite tidy bus so that makes it more likely things might not be too bad
    But mechanical check will ascertain the reality.

I had approached it as a new bus with unknown history and some issues.
    So basically ignore most I have said in previous couple of posts.

Most definately get familiar with as much of the van as possible.
    The qualifier was for those with no previous mechanical experience and not much interest.

For everyone new to kombis it's a steep learning curve initially.
    But soon becomes second nature.
    As you tackle smaller jobs you realise it's not hard.
    But some can be a chase as you will notice in some posts even for suitably qualified peeps.
    Just the nature of diagnosis sometimes.
    There's nothing other than some of the machining jobs that is beyond the average owner.
    Sorting things yourself also increases confidence in the vehicles reliability for long trips etc.
    Once sorted they are pretty simple and cheap to run, other than fuel efficiency.

TeeBee likes this.
  13. David H

Great outcome TeeBee he didn't 'rip you off' just took his time;) & saved you money:D. I'd stay with him now he knows the vehicle & see how it goes with him.
    I guess he drove it whilst it was there & ask him what else needs to be done & gain a priority list from him. Useful for the bus & your cash;).
    Kombi mechanics seem to be casual about time:p. Mine used to give me a loaner car (his car) which helped his time management:cool:.
    Cheers

TeeBee likes this.
  14. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Yep, and no harsh German language was required. :)

Ninga, micklyan and David H like this.
  15. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Albert is back home :) and WOW, what a difference! The engine starts and runs so much better than before. It even sounds better. My mechanic told me that everything is running really well and there shouldn't be anything else I have to do to the engine (for now at least). Hooray!

Albert.jpg

Mr Beckstar, Ninga, melissa and 5 others like this.
  16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Excellent.
    Another example of just getting things adjusted right being the important thing.
    Enjoy.

Mr Beckstar, Ninga and TeeBee like this.
  17. micklyan

micklyan Member

Fantastic news. Albert looks happy to be home and l hope many adventures,smiles and waves and much enjoyment comes your way. Give me a yell if you’re heading down sth Gippsland way. Save travels

18. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Good stuff Tee bee! :)

Your wall panelling looks a bit too straight & level......... must really clash with your neighbours fence! :p

Mr Beckstar, Ninga, David H and 2 others like this.
  19. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Good to hear that,things are sorted out and Albert is back at home ,enjoying kombi live again.:D

20. David H

Nice to see Albert home;) & good that there's nothing on the 'to do' list ATM:D. Got those new chokes in just in time for winter so he'll start just as good in the cold;). Just cruising now without expense...YAY!:D.
    Now for the weekend..... a light cut & polish on the paint:p. Meguair's of course.
    Cheers

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Mr Beckstar and micklyan like this.