1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative spare wheel storage !?!?

Discussion in 'Body' started by Guzzler Chief, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Guzzler Chief

Guzzler Chief New Member

Im looking for ideas of where to put my spare wheel on my '72 kombi, I dont like the mounting on the front and would like to get it out of the rear !?!? I was thinking about bolting it underneath somehow, anyone done this ?? Any suggestions, ideas, help, pictures would be most appreciated.

2. Marty

Marty Active Member

Idea?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Trav&Ren

Trav&Ren Member

Not many options I'm afraid.
    Here is a thread where the discussion was raised before:
    http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=13358

I'm sure I've seen someone with one on the roof before but if you don't like it on the front I doubt you want it on the roof.

Trav

4. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

That'd be me, trav, but it's a dumb idea. I just haven't had a better one yet.

5. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Bit big to have in the van or underneath. Got rid of the bull bar for a westy type carrier.
    It has split the front panel so will have to weld up and re-inforce.
    A TRAILOR???

6. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

Here is something I am in the middle of.
    The bracket and bar is solid but unfortunately the amount of pressure is able to flex the chassis rail.
    It swivels 180 degrees, (almost 180) but enough to get out of the way of the tailgate and engine hatch.
    I am now debating with myself to either add a tab mount to the rear tailgate to give it support or otherwise have a second arm to make it like an A frame back to the bumper.
    I prefer the first option but it does involve welding something to the lovely tailgate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. roqsta

roqsta Member

I have the bench seat in the front so it sits well out of the way but its a cow to get into the back seat without getting out of the bus! I did once have it bolted onto the back of the drivers seat. It seamed to work ok and didnt take up too much space.