1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Bloody Child Restraint Question Sorry

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by AidanParko, Sep 14, 2014.

1. AidanParko

AidanParko New Member

Gday guys,

Im currently in NSW, with a '75 microbus thats registered in W.A. and in a few months I'll be moving to Tassie.

Anyone able to give me solid advice on what I need to do with regards to getting a child seat restraint mounted in the rear of the vehicle?
    Which states require a crab bar vs anchors? I guess Tassie is my ultimate final destination, so it would make sense to please the powers that be down there.

Approximate costs and/or authorised installers (or can I do it myself?) in the Newcastle area would be awesome if you know too.

Any help appreciated.

Ta

Aidan

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I don't know about Tassie rules but the place where I had my CRAB bar installed years ago is no longer there in Cardiff.

Go to page 9 of this link : http://www.mynrma.com.au/media/child_restraint_fitters.pdf

and check out some of those installers - they will be able to answer your questions

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I really do not see why a CRAB bar is required in a T2. T3s are approved without it.

In the end it is up to the approved installer.

4. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Some T2s don't have mounting points for the child restraint bolts.

5. AidanParko

AidanParko New Member

Ok great, ta. So is it essential that it is installed by an approved fitter to be legal?
    And wherabouts would the mounting points for the child restraint bolts be, if I did infact have them on my bus?

Ta again

6. Harribo

Harribo Member

My anchor point is fitted to the top of the engine bay. It has a spreader plate underneath with a captive nut and the anchor point bolts on to this.

I had it fitted by an authorised fitter in sa. You should be able to find a local fitter near you that will install one. As long as they are an approved installer they should fit it in line with current australian standards

http://www.transport.tas.gov.au/roadsafety/people/carseats

According to this it looks like you need an anchor point, no mention of a crab bar

7. phantom

phantom Member

I looked into child restraints for my '75 last year and was informed by a local installer (ACT) that the only legal way to do it in my car was for an expanding pole in the back behind the seat, bolted to the wall panels (not sure if this is what you are calling a crab bar). Further, it would have to go where the spare wheel is stored, thus losing that storage. And, it would be over the top of the inside engine hatch. It would be bolted in with special bolts so that it can't be removed by the home handyman. And it was going to cost just over $600.
    Losing my spare wheel storage and half the engine access wasn't a pleasing though, neither was the $600 bill, so I didn't get it done (not a big requirement). Not sure what other states will find in their rules and regs.

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I'd go to another installer.