1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another New Shed

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by saabman, Apr 25, 2013.

1. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

this weekend with ythe aid of a couple of my siblings we went from this

[​IMG]

to this

[​IMG]

Just a tip for anyone considering building a colour bond shed - READ your bill of materials and READ your plans and realy get a handle on how high things can be - the ridge of the roof in this thing enede up being 4.8m high and I thought a 3m ladder would be usefull :lol:
    ended up haveingto hire a 4.2m ladder to get the purlins screwed in alongthe top.

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Nice big shed Bernie. One thing I wish I had done when we had our garage built was painting the concrete BEFORE we put any cars in there. Now there are oil and grease marks on the concrete, I would struggle to get them clean enough to be able to paint it - at least if I had painted it first, the oil spots would have wiped up.

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Looking good Bernie. and wise words of course from Melissa.

Yes, seal/paint/treat the clean slab as soon as it's under cover. (Good clean with a mild phosphoric acid solution, prior to any application will ensure it will stick solid).

The inslab heating is plumbing / hot water???:rolleyes:

4. saabman

yes the slab will be painted/ sealed / coated in something before the application of kombi oil :lol:

I painted the shed at the previous abode and certainly made it easier to clean.

there are a lot of things on the market - determine the best value for money is the tough bit..

Give it good degrease and and acid wash Mel and use an oil based paint might do the trick.

Yes Grant its a hydronic system. I have 3 solar hotwater collectors to go on the roof - and on the look out for a couple more. - they will do the heating duty.

5. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Bernie...lookin' good - again - mate !!
    You'll be an expert on Man caves soon !!
    As far as sealing the slab goes....a solvent based, paving paint - like Berger Jet Pave - would be my recommendation.
    We used to use it on the driveways at Golden Fleece & it worked really well...grease & oil resistant, available in all sorts of colours, easy to use, very quick drying & touches up readily.
    Just my 2 bobs worth. Cheers, Mark

6. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Bernie.....love the shed - yopu cant beat a big shead with loads of head clearance.

I can see a hoist being installed in there!

Regarding the oil stains - just shove cardboard boxes under the VW's and they can discrace themsleves on them - sort of like putting paper down in the laundry for the puppy training.

Very easy!

7. saabman

Trouble is the Kombis NEVER learn to take them selves outside to do it ...

8. saabman

Whoo hoo after a big couple of days I now have 3 walls !!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  9. sclarke7171

sclarke7171 Member

Nice work. Loves good shed. Mines damn high. But only a 6x6. Enough for a bench, bikes and 1 car !!!!
    image.jpg

10. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

More kombi restos on their way hey Bernie?

11. saabman

If your got the height and no floor space you need to be damn good at stacking things :lol:

That's the plan Scott.
    I've got the other kombi and the beetle to do.

- actually my kombi is in need of some live at the moment - is not running real well :(

12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

At this rate Bernie, you'll have completed more Kombi resto sheds, than resto'd Kombis in the same timeframe!:p

13. sclarke7171

sclarke7171 Member

Yep I've got 8' high shelves that take milk crates. Then a small mezz level. Bicycles hang from the roof. It's a bit like Tetris.

14. Miss Leah

Miss Leah Member

Love the work Bernie!

15. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Bernie that's not a shed, that's a VW auditorium.... awesome job bud.

Want to build me one?

16. Frank

Frank Active Member

Nice one - what do you do while your siblings do the work Bernie?

17. saabman

try and keep then on the job Frank - its a hard job :lol:

18. saabman

[​IMG]

Well I think it's done!

Just waiting for the council inspector to turn up 15 mins late so far. As soon as he has been I can fill in the drainage ditches (60m worth) and then start on the trenching for the power still debating weather to put 3 phase in the shed or not - it's a 70m run from the fuse box to the shed so lots of money.

19. saabman

I've painted the floor already in a grey paving paint from Lincoln paints a local paint manufacturer.
    It's the same stuff I used in my previous shed and had no more trouble with it than others using jet dry which was twice the price. Unfortunately it appears that getting a good concrete finish in Goulburn is impossible. The concreters here are lousy. I won't waste my time with local "trades men" in fiture

[​IMG]

20. saabman

Well it passed - but I need to fit more screws in the roof sheets :eek:

No to realy get to work ;)