1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Rego oil leak..

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by Ian and Shelley, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Ian and Shelley

Ian and Shelley Active Member

Also mentioned on Rego inspection was oil from front axle..it's on the rear side but I am not sure what should be there ( should I grease nipple be here)

See photo and any advice most welcome..

Thanks

rps20210115_190249.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2021
  2. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Is that the oil leak ? The grub screw holds the torsion bars in place, I would be surprised to see oil dripping on the ground from there.

3. Ian and Shelley

Another photo which may show it better...oil isn't dripping but a drop was present when inspected..after a wipe is not dripping but now intreaged to know what going on and what the threaded nut bit is for?

rps20210115_201652.jpg rps20210115_201629.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2021
  4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

What is directly above it? From where it is dripping from.
    Steering dampener hasn't leaked?
    Any brake lines above?
    Old grease will liquefied or separate ,but thought it would come more from idler pin (directly below where it is leaking). If it hasn't been greased for a long time, the grease might be separating.

Mordred likes this.
  5. Ian and Shelley

Old separating grease.. could be !!

Is it OK to remove grub screw then pump in Grease through the 2 grease nipples and watch what get pushed out through Grub screw?

6. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Just grease it through the 5 grease nipples that are on the front beam, keep putting grease in until you see fresh grease come out of either the top or bottom of the idler pin ,in center of front beam(one grease nipple) and one at top and bottom of each front beam tube at either end of the beam(four nipples) Pump grease in until fresh grease comes out off the torsion arm where it goes into the front beam. There are 5 grease nipples in total on the front beam!
    Have car jacked up.

Mordred and Mr Beckstar like this.
  7. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Don't pull the grub screw out it locks the torsion bars in place, just undo the nut, clean around it with degreaser/ brakeleen & put some sealant on the nut before tightening. I assume that the grease in the front end is very thin & needs a grease with a better quality grease.