1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody else's kombi leaking in the heavy rain recently?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by joninmelbourne, Mar 28, 2008.

1. joninmelbourne

joninmelbourne New Member

Here in Melbourne we have had several days of heavy rain, and my poor old 1979 kombi is parked on the road. This morning there was small puddle of water in the passenger foot well, and to the left of the fuse box under the glovebox was damp, but the fuse box seemed dry. Also there was water in the middle of the camper area, under one of those bloody poptop vents which are well known for their leakyness. I hope the rain won't short circuit anything, its annoying but at least it wasn't dripping onto the bed. I guess a new set of door seals and possibly windscreen seals would be a good start, plus silicone on any gaps. Anybody else with similar problems?

2. 1975 Westfalia

1975 Westfalia Member

Rain ???

Ah rain...! yes I remember that precipitation stuff that is meant to fall from the sky. Haven't seen much of it in SA of late.

When it does rain heavily, Otto usually has puddles in the under-dash tray. I've put blutack on the little holes at the base of the windscreen and it stopped it for a while, till the blutack cracked up. All shall hopefully be rectified when we do the resto-respray.

3. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Yep. I have to replace the windscreen rubber fairly soon, too!

Baz

4. the invisible smith

the invisible smith New Member

Like wise... as well as side window rubbers.

5. Big Bus

Big Bus Member

I bet it'll need more than a rubber , more like a new window sill rust repair

6. Leigh77

Leigh77 Member

Yeh, my windscreen is leaking lke nothing else, its ok in a light shower, but after that, might jus as well not have a windscreen, but anything rubber in my bus jus needs replacing, most seals are original. hahaha.

7. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

Best bet if electrics are wet is to let them dry out fully before using. Shorts are much more likely if water is sitting. Once dry, it is like it never happenned!

8. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

My camper leaks but only when driving in heavy rain. The seal was never put in properly. That's what you get by using a roadside window fitter rather than taking it to a proper windscreen shop. Should have gone to O'Briens. It will require the window to come out and put back in probably with a new rubber.

9. Mrs Peel

Mrs Peel Member

I guys...I know this thread a little older.....But we thought it was just us that had a leaky windscreen, but it seems just the 'norm' with kombis.

However, we changed the windscreen rubber to a proper German seal, and the rust underneath didnt seem that bad on the sill, however still leaks when it rains a little harder.... WTF???

We intalled new speakers in the kick panels, which will get ruined eventually with this issue, so we now only drive it in the sunny weather (thank fully not our everyday driver), however, can anyone suggest what else to do......

The rubber came from Roy, which was advised it would be a tighter fit, even the professional windsreen fitters said it was tight..

There seems to be slight water at the back of the kick panel, puddle on the floor and water beading on the dashboard closest to the windscreen , where they meet.

ADVICE ANYONE???

10. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Have you had a look around your wipers, or around your aerial?

11. maccakmb174

maccakmb174 New Member

i get water dripping on my feet while driving in heavy rain...also leaks down through the front side windows,back side windows,sliding windows,back window.its nice to be woken up by a steady drip of water in the middle of the night on your feet in a wet bed :)

12. understanding_mercury

understanding_mercury Member

Lol Ruth I'm glad I'm not the only one who considers blu-tack a good solution!!

I used to have to have a saucepan on the floor by the sliding door whenever it rain heavy until I changed the door seal.

13. Cai

Cai New Member

my solution is a tube of selley's cant really recommend it, doesnt look so appealing to the eye!

14. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

We have had all the rust removed and a new windscreen seal and we are now getting that water leaking down near the passenger side's foot area.We also have a leak that comes in above the fridge but for the life of us we cant work out where the water is coming in.The car has had every seal replaced so we have no idea what to try next. Lucky the car is in a garage most of the time, but when we are out I worry the 34 year old timber work will get destroyed.Seems there are a few people with this problem, I will be interested in watching this thread.

15. vwkid

vwkid New Member

here in perth its actually quite hot :)
    but i did notice today while i was giving her a wash she was leaking in through the passenger side window...
    i think it may just be the window rubbers

16. Surfing72

Surfing72 Well-Known Member

Looking for advice friends. I drove in heavy rain yesterday on my way to the surf. The Kombi was then parked on level ground. When I finished surfing I drove home and there was water dripping onto my feet. It seemed to pool somewhere under the dash as it was worse when I would turn corners up hill etc.. I've driven our Kombi everyday for the last year in all kinds of weather and never experienced this before. I can tolerate most water leaks but wet feet while driving frustrates me. Are there any common areas that leak I should investigate. Windscreen seal etc looks good to me but its hard to say when it comes to water... Might just buy some gumboots:)

17. Surfing72

OK so I just had a better inspection and Im guessing that although the windscreen looks OK from outside it may still be the issue due to rust perhaps. If you look at the photo I have taken behind the steering column you may be able to see the water on the lip between the yellow surface and black surface. Im starting to learn that I'll be constantly chasing rust in this old girl:(
    IMG_0684.jpeg

18. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Have you ever had the windscreen out?

Might be worth buying a new rubber and cutting the old one out.

Then hatch a plan

Syncro27 and Surfing72 like this.
  19. Surfing72

No mate I haven't had it out. I'll have to give it a go though and see what is going on underneath. Hopefully its nothing to drastic. Any tips on windscreen removal / Replacement?

20. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Whilst I have not done a Kombi one I have done a 1303 beetle many times.
    1303 is curved more so in theory is harder.

If your old rubber is soft then it is possible to reuse.
    If you are going to push out start at a top corner.
    I find a towel and using 2 feet best.
    Get an accomplice to “flick” and start the rubber.
    As soon as there is movement- BACK OFF the pressure.

Actually - cutting it out is best.
    But a quality new rubber

To reinstall.
    1.5mm multi strand wire wrapped 120% around the screen, a HUGE handful of KY liberally applied and sit the screen in the bottom 2 corners.
    Someone on a ladder applying firm pressure on the top is the screen (obviously from the outside) and slowly pull the wire from the inside.
    Wrap and twist the wire around say a screwdriver so it locks with all that KY everywhere

Syncro27, David H and Surfing72 like this.