1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody else's kombi leaking in the heavy rain recently?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by joninmelbourne, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

If you don’t buy KY jelly by the drum full, like Barry must...:eek:

You can also use trim detailer, for the same slippery result, that treats the rubber at the same time. ;)

E7B0B717-A05F-4638-88E5-E6B5140208DE.jpeg

Syncro27, Surfing72 and melissa like this.
  2. Surfing72

Surfing72 Well-Known Member

Good advice. Bus stop has the rubber for about $65 so I might cut the old one out and see what Im in for regarding rust before replacing the windscreen.

Grantus and David H like this.
  3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Good chance you will break a laminated pushing it out.
    Getting it back in can also be tricky.
    Worth checking local price for refit.

Entry for water indicated could be anywhere around windscreen seal, rust, aerial on pillar, windscreen wiper hole.
    Indicator seals can also leak.
    A hit all inside the seams and pillars with lanolin will assist greatly to extend body life.
    Especially for a coastal Kombi.

Surfing72 likes this.
  4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

After new front panel I got my first ever leak:(. Was thru wiper hole. Chewing gum gasket;) fixed it.
    Looks like some repairs needed @Surfing72 .
    My lami screen in/out 4 times with a screen chip. Be gentle from the inside.
    Cheers

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    Surfing72 likes this.
  5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Check you seals around the wipers and washer jets - possible these are cactus and could also be .... finding where it is entering will be a challenge ...... you could also be getting some excessive condensation taken the way the heat and humidity has been :rolleyes:

https://www.thebusstop.com.au/1968–...erior-Electrics-68-79/Wiper-Spindle-seal-pair

https://www.thebusstop.com.au/1968–...erior-Electrics-68-79/Wiper-Spindle-Caps-Pair

https://www.thebusstop.com.au/1968–...r-Electrics-68-79/Windscreen-Washer-Jet-68-91 - there is a seal which I thought you could buy separately but removing the washer jet can lead to the retaining tabs breaking off SO best to go with new jets that include the seal ;) - they don't just push in .... you have to twist them once tabs and slots in body are aligned.

6. Surfing72

Surfing72 Well-Known Member

Thanks fellas. I did notice the wiper spindle seals looked suspicious. Bus stop doesn't have em in stock though. I might try replacing seals one at a time from cheapest to most expensive in an attempt to find the problem.

David H likes this.
  7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

If TBS doesn't have the spindle seals then try Mick Motors @ Northgate Qld ;) ..... There's 3 VW enthusiast there - Mick, Ross & Graham :D to help you.

Surfing72 likes this.
  8. David H

Take the screen out & give some time for the bus to be off the road for what you discover:(

Surfing72 likes this.
  9. David H

My spindle seals were new & leaked for the first time in 40 yrs:mad:. It seems to be the way stiff rubber 'beds'. Different grade of rubber:(. Less flexible. Thus why chewing gum made up the 'flexible part'.
    2 Layers of leak protection with your wipers Dan. Caps & rubbers. then it lands on........There is a horizontal platform under your windscreen that can hold lots of water due to capillary action & only 'roll off' when you take off!! & land on your feet!!
    The under dash of these buses needs to have your head under the dash to sort out the leak;)!

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Jethro and Surfing72 like this.