1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone had any experience putting a modern stereo unit into a T2. Like touch screen, apple play etc

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by Harry Johnson-Holmes, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Harry Johnson-Holmes

Harry Johnson-Holmes New Member

I've got a JBL unit that does enough with bluetooth and aux etc but I'm interested if anyone gone the full monty and gotten one of the LCD touch screens with reverse cams, maps, phone calls blah blah blah. Would be a cool project if I can follow some form of instructions specific to T2.

Cheers guys!

2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Never done it but have seen a few people that have.
    Consider,depends on what unit you go for is that the dash has to be cut to fit the unit.
    If you don't drive the car daily modern radios,use power for memory and can drain power,end up with a flat battery if not driven regular.

wirrah, TeeBee, Barry and 1 other person like this.
  3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

I tried to put a more modern unit in a T3 - issue was the depth of the unit :eek:(as they say it's only the depth that varies) and the gauge of the wiring :confused: attached to it that you had to connect ..... it wasn't fun exercise and ended up returning it and staying with what was there.
    Had seen some that have a fold out screen which was a possibility but it would have needed a facia to tidy up the mounting ;)

4. omelette81

omelette81 Active Member

Hi
    Done plenty in other cars and space behind is generally the issue but in a T2 you should have plenty of room to mount it somewhere in the dash but with alot of cutting, so a major project. I was thinking of mounting something behind my front seats so as to keep the standard dash look but to still have the functions of a modern setup especially the bluetooth phone because most come with a mirophone which can be mounted separate to Head Unit and it should have a separate remote to be able to use it in the front anyway. As @Wayne murray says think about power to coz it will drain battery.
    If you want reverse camera function you can get some pretty small tidy units to mount on dash or on rear view mirror.

TeeBee likes this.
  5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Bit of an ask Harry with the curve on a Kombi dash over the height of the flat touch screen but nothing insurmountable:).
    I've just run with a modern DIN bluetooth/cd/usb/colour match stereo. This also requires a cutting of the aperture:(. P1110726.JPG
    Got a tow bar so don't need a reversing camera:p.
    Cheers

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Poptop, Elsie 76 and TeeBee like this.