1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know what these engine bay wires are for?

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Bay75, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Bay75

Bay75 Member

I’m struggling to identify where these 3 wires go.

The brown, which I believe is the earth on kombi’s, goes nowhere and is taped up.
    The brown/white stripe seems to be connected to the white wire from the tow bar plug which is meant to be the earth wire if that is wired correctly.
    The other wire that is white or cream goes directly to the battery.
    The wires enter the main harness where my fingers are in the pic at the RH rear near the taillight.

Does anyone know what they feed or where they are meant to be terminated? I’m trying to tidy up the wiring and this is the final piece in the puzzle.

Attached Files:

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Can’t help with those ones, but just want to point out, that any /many previous owners, may use any colour wire handy, to do stuff, and can confuse future owners that hope the the wire colours should match the original VW intention. :confused:

Hopefully someone else here, will have more helpful info for you.......

3. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

brown/ white goes to fuel sender if down that end

4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

When you say "tow bar plug" are you meaning diagnostics plug? As some of those wires would be coming from that rectangle box top right inside engine bay,which if they come from there they are not needed as pretty much that diagnostic box is an obsolete unit ,with only one person I have heard has one of them machines to test it out.

5. Bay75

Bay75 Member

Ah ok thanks @rstucke. So it’s probably picking up an earth from the white wire it’s connected to.

I’ll try to trace the remote end and see if it heads to the fuel tank. The wiring diagram shows a solid brown wire from the gauge to sender.
    The location had me thinking it must be taillight related but I have them all working.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  6. Bay75

Bay75 Member

Thanks @Wayne murray , no this is definitely an aftermarket tow bar plug. I’ve been eyeing off the diagnostics plug wondering if I can use it in any way for fault finding but I’m not sure if it’s complete, as @Grantus mentioned things have been chopped up over time.

TeeBee, David H and Grantus like this.