1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Armour Plate glass Id help?

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by TimberTray, Oct 13, 2015.

1. TimberTray

TimberTray New Member

Hey guys,

My splitty has a set of Armour plate windows, I have done a lot of reading on this and I saw mention of a way to work out the age by the location of the dot above a particular letter. Does anyone have a break down of that code?
    My dot is located above the T in plate.

Thanks
    TimberTray

2. Ted2

Ted2 Active Member

Yea there's a system to work out the date of the glass. It's not 100% reliable as glass can be swapped out. My understanding is the dot above the number represents year the glass was made. Count the number of digits starting from the left to the number with the dot - in your case it's 10, suggesting glass made in 1960. Throw up the chassis number and one of the experts on here will be able to tell you the month & year your bus was made. My guess, based on the pics you put up in another post is your bus is a 61 year model. Again just a guess - chassis number will give you a definitive answer.

Assume you have seen this http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/split-identification.22/

3. TimberTray

TimberTray New Member

Thanks for the reply Ted2, I am struggling with the chassis number a bit, the ute has had a fair section of metal work removed in the rear under the Timber tray so I haven't located any numbers yet.

4. Ted2

Ted2 Active Member

What about the ID plate? Is it still with the ute?

5. Ted2

Ted2 Active Member

Your interior pic might give you a couple of clues, or potentially confuse the issue even more :(
    You don't have a fuel gauge. Some conjecture as to when they were introduced here in Oz but popular opinion is July 1961.
    Check your seat mounts - 61 had hump back seat with three mounting positions - both vertical and horizontal. Your seat doesn't look like a hump back - again assuming it's original to ute. Your ute has nipple indicators up front - are they original? No semaphores or welded up holes? Tail lights in tray pic are early type - 55 to 57.
    What's with the bar on left hand side - is that a PMG thing. Any other evidence other than colour of ute's PMG heritage?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    TimberTray likes this.
  6. TimberTray

TimberTray New Member

Thanks ted2, I will have a look tonight. I have the seat out and I am unaware of seatbelt mounts and where they are located. I can take some pics of the dash and behind the seat to help out.
    TimberTray

7. Ted2

Ted2 Active Member

Sorry mate, I meant seat mounts not seat belt mounts. Original post edited to correct my typo.

8. TimberTray

TimberTray New Member

Cool, I'll take a pic of the back of the seat, which I assume it is original going by condition and style, the seat mounts and the indicator area, both inside and out.
    Thanks for all your help
    TimberTray

9. TimberTray

TimberTray New Member

10. TimberTray

TimberTray New Member

Not the best pic of seat mounts

11. TimberTray

TimberTray New Member

12. TimberTray

TimberTray New Member

13. TimberTray

TimberTray New Member

Seat bottom and back

14. TimberTray

TimberTray New Member

15. TimberTray

TimberTray New Member

16. TimberTray

TimberTray New Member

Front and rear of the nipple indicators

17. TimberTray

TimberTray New Member

18. TimberTray

TimberTray New Member

I also pulled the speedo, is that 5 60 the month and year of manufacture? May 1960?
    I hope these pic help you help me Ted2.
    Thanks again
    TimberTray

19. Ted2

Ted2 Active Member

Yes mate, the numbers on the speedo represents the date of manufacture of the speedo. If speedo is original to your ute then it will be a 1960 model. Definitely not a 61 as has single position seat mounts. Wiring to nipple indicators looks factory suggesting non-semaphore model. Have a look at top hinge on doors, on the inside between the 3 rivets that hold the hinge to the door, there should be some numbers which hopefully will be around the date on the speedo.

20. TimberTray

TimberTray New Member

Can do Ted2. Can you confirm whether the bench seat is the original? I can't see how it would mount with out posts to sit in the mount grooves.