1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asking ain't getting

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by OberonViking, Apr 5, 2021.

1. OberonViking

OberonViking Active Member

Hey y'all,
    I'm probably in a position to get back into Kombi lifestyle after a 10 year hiatus.
    I've seen a few buses advertised well over $20,000, they look to be in good condition but need a fair bit of refurbishment on the interior, and mechanically unknowable from the ads.

Are buses actually selling at these prices? Specifically bays with 8 seats.

2. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

welcome back Oberon viking,
    Since covid shut down all over seas travel all van types are selling for high prices.
    There a lot of kombi virgins spending big money getting kombis rebuilt in all the resto vw places which is pushing up demand for shiny paint refurbished buses on the road.
    I sold a 2003 lwb t4 van just a few months before covid hit and was struggling to get $3k for it , the same van now there asking $10k plus for.
    Basically a on the road van asking price is $20 - to $40k price range and some are asking way more . Microbuses with 8 seats are always in demand an have a higher resale value.
    Youll pay $3/4k just for the front, middle and rear seats these days in good nick!!
    Id say lots have bought kombis to use for weekend cruising to the coffee shops with the family or to have short stays around the area etc.
    There is still a few priced vans to be had but youve got to jump on them when they popup.

cheers

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back! A $20k bus in reasonable nick is a rarity these days..... From what I've seen that will buy rust and a tired engine. Good luck!
    Cheers, Mark

Syncro27, OberonViking and Mordred like this.
  4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Welcome back.
    My view is 30k about min for a tidy reliable bus.
    Refreshed ( properly ) paint, interior, mechanicals will pull $40k ish for a GOOD example .

oldman, OberonViking and Mordred like this.
  5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

T3 are now pulling what you would expect for a bay 10 yrs ago.

Syncro27, Dapom and OberonViking like this.
  6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

@OberonViking

Hey Robert,

I dropped into your place of work today for an hour, between 10 & 11 am in the Kanga Banga. A place I’ve not been, or had the urge to revisit, since 1975, but you weren’t locatable on the premises to say “hi”. :(

We did try, and I’m assured you are travelling well.;)

Cheers,

Grant

7. OberonViking

OberonViking Active Member

Thanks for trying Grant. It would’ve been good to say hi.

I actually spotted you as I went to work yesterday around midday, but figured there was little use in waving you down from my iMax.

I’ve already expressed interest in a vw run to Mt Tomah, even though I don’t have a Kombi yet…

8. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Midday, we were on our way from Rydges, to a lunch with another teacher / long term friend who’s birthday was on Saturday, and she came in from Portland, to catch up at The George. :)