1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australia's Fastest Kombi - Let the fun begin.

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by 65busser, Jul 4, 2008.

1. 65busser

65busser Member

Ok guys. Got the following email today. It's on for young and old. Already putting a mexican team together.
    Cheers
    Brad

HI Guys,

Hoping you can help us, could you please put the word out to your members/users or employees about an exciting new internet TV show Heavy is producing to find “Australia’s fastest Kombi”.

We’re looking for one team to represent their state and build a Kombi van from scratch, source parts and get it to Sydney mid September to participate in a time trial at Sydney Dragway. The fastest van and winning team will receive $10,000 in cash and get to keep the van. So if you’re keen to enter your friends, club or garage think “Top Gear meets “American Chopper” where State vs state, man vs machine, kombi vs the clock !!

The competition starts at the end of July, in which teams have 6 weeks to tinker with the vans and participate in the Sydney time trial on week Seven. Each team will be allocated video camera’s, phones, internet cards and laptops to film the restoration, and the journey spent in coming to Sydney right up to the race day.

Some competition rules are;

· Heavy.com will provide each team a $10,000 budget to purchase a van, source parts and travel

· All vans must not be newer than 1975 model, have 2.0L engines and teams can only use traditional and standard parts.

· Each team must have a minimum of 5 team members in which at least one must be female

· Each team must provide a secure workshop/garage to work and store the van throughout the competition

· Teams must provide 30 minutes of footage each week to Heavy to produce a weekly show on www.Heavy.com. Footage will include teams sourcing the vans and parts, working on the vans, testing it, dealing with issues etc.. using a team member that has some filming and camera experience is a plus.

· The vans must be presented dent free and painted for the time trial at Sydney Dragway. Teams must display their team names and logo on the side of the van

· Each team must appoint a team captain who is responsible for that team adhering to all the competition rules.

Please contact Nathan Ruff on Nathan.ruff@heavy.com or 0410 608 329 with any interested participants. Heavy.com will be meeting and casting next week, so there is not time to lose!

Please circulate to any VW enthusiasts you know.

Call me any questions, anytime

Regards

Nathan

Nathan Ruff

Australian Sales Director

Heavy Australia

nathan.ruff@heavy.com

Mobile 0410 608 329

Fax 02 9799 8079

8 Kenneth Street

Bondi,Sydney,NSW,2026

www.heavy.com

2. air_cooled_brain

air_cooled_brain New Member

should be a bit of fun!

3. Airmon

Airmon New Member

How confident are you this bloke isn't pulling your leg?
    And there is no "Sydney Dragway", if he meant WSID I would have thought he would say it, I've never heard of it referred to as "Sydney dragway".

If its for real though sounds good to me!

4. understanding_mercury

understanding_mercury Member

haha airmon i like your scepticism but hell if this bloke is for real i'd put my hand up for a queensland team :)

5. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Thats mean, sorry i cant be a part of this. kombi vans are just for familys and such just to slow trip the highways.

but if you get someone to compete, then good for you, that means they are not kombi guys. they are just in for the money and glory.

thats my three pence worth. But if that is what you like, bring it on. Any one in SA going to try out.

cant wait to see the outcome.

brian

6. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

Aww, come on Brian...it takes all sorts to make the kombi wheels spin...some fast, some slow! I'd love to see the show!!! ;)

7. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

I hope its for real and it gets a few teams participating.
    If I had the time I would jump at it :cool:

8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

$10k isn't going to go to far with current prices

9. Live&Direc

Live&Direc Member

$10K - that'd be fuel for the WA team to get there!

10. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

I'm keen for Tassie team

If this is for real I'm keen!

Got two buses stripped and waiting ready! Trouble is on my own I got no skills whatsoever!

Team Tassie?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  11. Archeress

Archeress Guest

2.0 litre engine?...bugger that lets me out then...would have been keen but not about to swap an engine at this stage...will watch with interest.