1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto Box help

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Low Rida, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Low Rida

Low Rida Member

I have just bought an 89 Carat on Friday and it drove back from Coffs Harbour really well. Unfortunately when I tried to use it on Saturday morning I have lost all drive. I can select all gears and the cables are working correctly but there is no attempt to move at all. I have checked the oil and it appears the level is correct. Every now and then it does manage to find reverse but no forward gears at all.
    Does anyone have any ideas before I rip it out?
    Cheers Ian

2. transparu

transparu Member

Can you drive it "like a manual"?

Pull out the dip stick and look at the colour of the ATF. How is the LEVEL (measured with engine running, warm and in neutral) (after having moved the stick between all gears). Note if it is high.

If it is low, that MAY be your problem.

Smell it. If it smells burnt (there is no mistaking the smell) then there has been significant slippage in the transmission.

If it is brown and normal level and smells burnt, then it is almost certainly that the wear parts (clutches) in the transmission have had the gong.

If it does not smell but is high, it is likely that diff oil has got into the auto, though fluid movement is usually in the opposite direction.

If you can get it moving, does the situation improve as the engine (and transmission) get hotter? If this happens then iit is likely that the seals in the transmission have gone hard. This is a definite possibility. There ARE some softeners for the rubber seals that I have heard of, but can't recall.

I have rebuilt my '86 auto trans and have a few notes and photos. It is a straightforward but painstaking job. It is much more straight forward than a manual box or replacing bearings in an engine, for example. It takes time and cleanliness. I think it can cost $1500-$2000 to do though I did it for the cost of (imported) parts and the need to borrow two tools. I think the parts cost about $700 or so, from memory. It is well within a kombiclub member's ability.

Pmail be if you'd like to chat more.

dave

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  3. Low Rida

Low Rida Member

Thanks for the reply Dave.

The oil does look clean and does not smell burn't at all. It does appear to have too much in it though. When warm the level does look very high and does not seem to drop. The previous owner told me that it had a rebuild only 20,000 Kms ago! The only way I have managed to get it going was to give it some revs in Park and then when the revs drop slightly put it in reverse and it seems to go. It is then very lumpy when reversing. I did give it some welly coming back though on Friday as it has a 2ltr Turbo Suburu lump. The only lucky thing is that I do have a spare box in another van, I thought I would check all the obvious things first though before swapping them over.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers Ian

4. transparu

transparu Member

oops - that was $700 not $7700 for parts. I corrected it.

Fortunate you have another box Ian!
    dave

PS Strange: When I replied to your post there was another post here from someone on the Nth Coast saying he had an auto transmission for sale. That has disappeared!

5. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

That was Dave(menangler), he has a auto box from a 2.1
    Shoot him a pm if your interested Ian.

6. Menangler

Menangler Member

It was me, I then relised he had a spare so deleted it.

7. Low Rida

Low Rida Member

Thanks everyone for all your inputs and advise. Hopefully it will be back on the road at the weekend