1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awning Reviews

Discussion in 'Camping Australia' started by jangle63, Jan 1, 2009.

1. baydougal

baydougal Member

Hi Jen, yes its an RV4 size and I just use the flap off the deluxe panel to go over the top of the kombi. OZtent also sell an awning connector that zips to the tent and connects to tracking on your vehicle whatever it may be. Have a look on the website theres heaps of new stuff, the foxwing awning looks a snazzy piece of kit! I've just ordered two of the freestanding tents ( cr1 and cr2 ) one for shower, one for toilet. Theres demos of these on youtube.
    Cheers
    Phil

2. bay76

bay76 Member

Thanks for a positive view on the fiamma.
    If we get the one it will be fitted to an 82 camper also.
    A funny story-
    At Christmas we camped at Woodford folk festival and I had a big tarp up over the van as an awning with a pole in the middle to alow run off, while we where in the festival a huge storm hit when we got back to camp the middle pole had droped over but all the outer poles stayed up so with the side of the van as a support we had a giant swimming pool!
    The tarp was ok and I had one bent pole from the weight of the water, but up she went the next day.

This is my fear I suppose if you where not there to push of excess water, what would you come back to!

3. bay76

bay76 Member

Thanks Phil,

Have been looking at the demos on youtube and their web site.
    Have had my eye on a Oztent for years. Yeah that foxwing looks great.

I like the idea of driving away and keeping your site, one year at Minnie Waters we came back to a full set up on our site and had to ask the people to move. Leaving chairs and rope doesn't always work.
    Then I also like the idea of a pullout on the side of the van for all occasions.
    Can you unzip the Oztent awning off the front edge of the tent compartment and if you had the connector on your van use it as an awning on it's own with poles?
    Thanks Jen

4. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

That's understandable but if any awning is put up correctly with enough slope then water will not pool. I have had issues in the past with an annex on a caravan and tents that have pooled water and leaked. You learn pretty quickly.

5. Hally

Hally Member

We had a tunnel awning when we were in the UK. It was ok. Consisted of 3 hoops of standard segmented tent pole and had a strap that connected each end. (Will post pics later). It had the standard cuff that went up against the van and and inner tent. We also picked up a storm strap kit that had 4 pegs with springs and two large straps that went over the top of the awning for really windy weather. But that was in the UK (cost us 150 GBP when we brought it, but sold it with the Westy when we left. It did not owe us anything.

Currently we have a Rays Geo Family 8 which we hook up the flap of one of the doors to the poptop depending on how we are parked up. I also grabbed our old Cooleroo gazeebo and hooked it to the back of the van and had only two legs attached to it (pics to come)

While not ideal the Geo was reasonable value for money and has lasted 3 years with only one trip back to Rays for repair, which was under warranty.

I have also seen the Khyam awning and I would have to say it is the Bees Knees. Very easy to setup.

I remember seeeing the first version of the spacemaker awning at vanfest (2004 I think), it was HUUUGE! They sold very quickly, but apparently there were quality issues, which have since been rectified.

Here are some links
    http://www.campershop.co.uk/awnings.htm
    http://www.bluebird-type2.co.uk/awnings.htm

6. Cath&Co

Cath&Co New Member

Hi, I really like this annexe, can they be made to 'stand alone' & have you had any rain come in from where it joins to the kombi? Was it made in Vic, if so where please. Many thanks, Cath

7. 3Amigos

3Amigos Active Member

expo

this one was at the camping expo..pics not very good..but looked good,,,covered alot of area..just attached to the roof

[​IMG]

8. DancingDoonars

DancingDoonars Active Member

We bought our 30 second Oztent last week and we're not happy. It only took us 26 seconds to put up, not 30! I wonder if we can get our money back?:lol: :lol:

9. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

I'll have it if you don't want it!!:p :lol:

10. Wodewick

Wodewick New Member

This our drive away awning that we bought from Roy. This is our 2nd trip using it and have found it terrific. A bit fiddly to put up first time but easy after that and it seems to be pretty robust. Rod.[​IMG]

11. jas_taylor

jas_taylor New Member

When we go away in DakDak, the flip top flips out to creates an awning, or at least a covered area, with a bed on top. Takes about 10 seconds but you have to flip it back before you drive away. Well... I guess you don't have to flip it back, but it would cause some problems!

[​IMG]

12. Wodewick

Wodewick New Member

rooftop

You would want to remember that you are on the roof if you got up for a twinkle in the middle of the night.:lol: Actually looks like a good system. Rod.

13. Carolin

Carolin New Member

We used to have one of those flip tents on our station wagon when my sister and I were kids. Mum nick named it 'The Chicken Coop'. Rose and I would sleep in the car, and Mum and Dad in the Coop on top. When we rocked the car Mum would start shrieking like crazy. Boy that was fun!

Carolin

14. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

[​IMG]

Link Here
    My mate just got one for his Kombi

15. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

16. Alice in Kombiland

Alice in Kombiland Well-Known Member

17. LOMBI

LOMBI Member

LOMBI Awning

Custom made - full length with its own frame

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  18. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Can this be used if the poptop is up like Lombi's?

19. Jimmypar5

Jimmypar5 Member

20. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

Yes it sure can :)