1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awning tent....

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Rosscoe, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Member

Hi, yes it is me again, sorry.
    This is our current setup, the awning tent is a Kings from 4WD Supacentre, it actually works quite well but we have found that it is not big enough to live in for an extended period of time, the other issue that has been brought to our attention is that if it rains the poles have a tendency to bend due to the weight of the pooling water. Even with one side of the front of the awning being lowered quite significantly to allow the water to run off. The way we have fitted the awning to the roof racks also allows water (Rain) to come through the gap under the racks and enter the tent area. Does anyone here have a solution for us on what you would recommend to fix this issue. We are considering a drive away tent and awning from Just Kampers, BUT we will still have the same issue of the gap under our awning and racks, of course we could get rid of the racks we have and install the awning straight on to the roof of the Kombi, but that means drilling through the roof, I am NOT keen on doing that. Does anyone have any photos of a system that we could use to alleviate these issue, (weather proofing and size) The 1st and 3rd picture is from Just Kampers website and the 2nd picture the current setup we have. J82106-0_6.jpg 20190326_1419441.jpg J82106-2_4.jpg

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Rosscoe likes this.
  3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Can't see the roof racks in that:(.
    This is an original setup. Once you 'close' the attachment point you can keep going in that gable shape as far as you
    need. Attachment gets closed with figure 8 trim that clips to gutter & slides onto corded canvas on the annexe.
    https://www.justkampers.com.au/search/result/?q=awning clip strip
    If you trim that one you've got to the gutter position I reckon it'll be good to go & just keep adding space:)!
    Pole bend be a Chinese manufacturing problem:(.
    Annexe.JPG
    Cheers

omelette81, Elsie 76 and Rosscoe like this.
  4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

An awning like yours will always collapse as the roof is not pitched......
    At a kg/ltr. ponding water destroys more awnings in campgrounds than anything else because of this.
    I use an extendable centre pole, with a broad flat cross made out of aluminium that sits on top, to form a peak in my awning. These are available at camping supply shops and allow you to form a high point in the middle of any flat areas.
    My awning is pitched but would otherwise still have ponding water trapped without this gizmo. It’s always the last thing I put up before bed when it’s not raining ! I’ve heard too many midnight collapses when the weather turns overnight.
    I’m out today but will post a pic. tonight.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Rosscoe and melissa like this.
  5. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

With my drive away awning, to cover the gap, I attached a fly to the awning and then tied it to the other side of the roof rack...extra insulation inside the van too

Rosscoe and melissa like this.
  6. omelette81

omelette81 Active Member

Saw these while i was in England @ Alive & Dubbin, looked well made and they would ship to Australia. Considering getting 1 for our 72 bus when ready.

7. omelette81

omelette81 Active Member

upload_2019-8-4_16-46-35.png
    upload_2019-8-4_16-47-1.png

Rosscoe and TeeBee like this.
  8. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Member

Thank you everyone, so many on here always willing to help with advice.

Ninga and TeeBee like this.