1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awning that works - simple...

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by gdrabs, Nov 28, 2021.

1. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

I have the original awning rail with a Keder sail track that I removed years ago. After giving Wilson a bit of a clean I decided to re install it and realising just how simple and effective it is, I thought it would be worth sharing for handy hints.
    The rail was originally fitted back in 1976 when VW supplied a Harbour Blue kombi for camper conversion over here in Western Australia.
    It's a simple steel rail with gutter clamps and a aluminium sail track with the rail secured to the VW Campmobile luggage rack. The original tarp, canvas and guy ropes are still packed away under the house somewhere;) I grabbed a couple of the original poles and 2 new adjustable ones with a spreader for a peak and a new Reinforced Poly Tarp with Keder rope edge from econotarps. These are well made... check out econotarps.com.au in Bayswater WA - they deliver Australia wide.
    I couldn't find the gutter clamps so formed up some new ones from a bit of 3mm steel galv with round head bolts tucked neatly away to avoid catching the pop up - upper lip.
    The awning can be done with just 2 pegs and 2 poles but 4 pegs and 4 poles is rock solid and gives a peak - as set up in the photos.
    After looking and reading all the developments and ideas - I've just gone back to 1976, easy.... :)
    pic03.jpg pic01.jpg pic04.jpg pic05.jpg pic06.jpg pic07.jpg pic08.jpg pic9.jpg

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice work !
    I think you’d need to drop that apex considerably I’d wet weather, otherwise you’d have a torrent directed at the door.
    First time I’ve seen anything like this…..are you saying that it was part of a VW endorsed fitout, like Sopru ?
    Interesting, as there is nothing like this mentioned in the Campmobile handbooks…..
    As you say, a nice simple awning.
    Cheers,
    Mark

gdrabs likes this.
  3. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

Good point Mark, light rain ok - torrent I could move apex to the eyelets closer to dub (and lower poles).
    It was fitted at time of original fitout, not sure as official option? If no records - probably not, just a local thing... Wilson is going on display next weekend at 'the day of the Volkswagen'. I got in touch with the original owner who is now 96 and is coming with his family to be reunited with his old beloved kombi :)
    He still has a lot of fond memories and I'm told often reminisces to his family about Wilson. He kept a log of every kilometre he did in the kombi until the day I purchased it :)

Wayne murray likes this.
  4. oldman

So nice to have a kombi with such provenance :cool:
    Enjoy the show, I’m sure Wilson will be a star ….
    Cheers,
    Mark

gdrabs likes this.
  5. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

Thanks Mark, should be a good day...
    If it rains I'll move the poles...;)
    pic11.jpg pic12.jpg
    The back of the Keder rail sits about 30mm inside the gutter line and forms a channel with the tarp, but any overflow should fall on the pop top skirt and into the gutter. If winds blowing hard, shut door (but should drop tarp anyhow).

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  6. oldman

Only way to know what really works, is to have rain when you’re camping…..
    You’ll know pretty quickly what adjustments are needed !
    Cheers,
    Mark

gdrabs likes this.