1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awning vs. Gazebo

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by The 4 of bus, Jan 2, 2019.

1. The 4 of bus

The 4 of bus Member

Hi folks,

Time has come for us to decide on either getting an awning or a gazebo. Maybe leaning towards the gazebo so we can set it up and drive away if need be.

What do you guys prefer and why?

Jethro likes this.
  2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

Gazebo /large tent is good as you can use it away from the kombi.

Which is handy when your kombi breaks down .

I do travel with both an awning and a large tent.

Depends how long we are staying and what the weather is like.
    which we set up ... sometimes both.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Awnings are great for a quick reliable setup.
    I’ve had one now for about 5 or 6 years and would be lost without it.....
    Downside, as posted, is that you have to break camp to drive anywhere....so a supplementary tent is great for longer stays...
    Gazebos can be fantastic but are downright dangerous in high wind situations.....I’ve seen a few, over the years, banging over and around kombis in the middle of the night when a storm kicks in.
    Everyone has their preference.....get along to a Bus Stop or other camping weekend and check out what folks have.
    Cheers,
    Mark

4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Agreed

5. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

After a very near catastrophe at Island Bend a few years back I have got in to the habit of rolling in the awning each night. It is only a few minutes work and then roll it out in the morning. That night the winds were so severe that my mates small dome tent had poles broken. The wind came from nowhere as it was a beautiful, calm night sitting next to the fire before we went to bed. Having said that, I would not be without the awning.

Ian

6. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

gazebo.jpg

We use a gazebo - it fits across the kombi when packed up, just under the overhang of the bed seat. If you have cabinets along the drivers side, it would not fit. This one has walls that can be added and you can also get a tent that fits one whole side so that your stuff is hidden and secure if you are away from camp. Yes they can fly away - we did not secure it well enough at Swansea Bus Stop but that was our fault, not the gazebo.

7. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

We have both and use the awning for short trips or overnighters and the tent for longer stays. But the tent is real easy to put up and fairly easy to pull down (when its dry).

Good thing is with an awning - you can roll them up wet and they are fixed outside the vehicle - the tent really needs to be fairly dry as all the grass and dirt comes with a wet tent.

[​IMG]

Grantus, Jethro and David H like this.
  8. Whitie

Whitie Well-Known Member

382015 092a.jpg We use either depending on how long we're staying, worth spending the $$$ for a quality Gazebo, "buy cheap buy twice"
    On the road we'd put the RR bed down & lay it on the mattress or on the roof racks.
    Some of the lean to's are great also, cheap, light n easy to store.
    Much prefer awning, its up in seconds, beer time comes sooner:D

9. melissa

10. tillis

tillis Well-Known Member

Hey for simplicity, 3.6m 5m tarp $20 from Aldi...a few tent poles and some fastening points on drivers side...goes right over the roof...used it many times and tarp is easy and clean to fold while still on the roof!

WP_20180704_018.jpg

11. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Depends how many of us there are & how long we're going for. Just partner & I , short stay weekend, we use awning. Awning.jpg2.jpg
    For longer camping we use a freestanding Kombi tent so we can leave it & contents & not pack anything. Just one J trim to undo from Kombi gutter.
    If there is going to be 4 of you I'd go with the latched on tent that you can drive away from.
    Back when there were 4 of us this is what I used. P1040686.jpg2.jpg
    Kitchen (Kombi), dining & leisure (middle), camper trailer (double bed & bunk beds), tailgate is ensuite:D. This works well if you're there for a bit;). If the bus is needed just 5 ropes to disconnect to leave.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  12. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

we use a drive away awning...just unclip it and go.

i peg a rope to the ground from wheel to wheel so when i come back i just park in exactly the same spot so it just clips back on

also have a fly for shorter stays

wyangala 1.jpg Cotter.jpg

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

FB_IMG_1546517600747.jpg my awning set up..is just a tarp and some tent poles plus I clamp the tarp to the pop top.
    The tarp fold flat and is stored bettween the mattress and the engine lid.

onetrackwonder, Mordred and Jethro like this.
  14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

My current gazebo..is actually a tent...works well for me as a mobile office. FB_IMG_1546517820787.jpg

onetrackwonder and Jethro like this.
  15. The 4 of bus

The 4 of bus Member

Ah so many awesome setups.

Have you guys seen these before?
    https://sheltapod.com

We are taking our 2 dogs around with us so thought it might be handy to be able to put them in the tent section for when we are cleaning up or cooking etc

onetrackwonder likes this.
  16. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

I got this gazebo from bunnings about 60 or$ 70...looks great in this picture..about 4 am the next morning and a storm hit..the gazebo was left as a twisted ball ..
    Bunnings were great and gave me a full refund when I showed up with the wreckage and the receipt.
    FB_IMG_1546518083589.jpg

17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

Got this one recently from BCF $39 on sale...seems pretty good easy to set up.

FB_IMG_1546518835148.jpg FB_IMG_1546518827770.jpg FB_IMG_1546518818196.jpg

Syncro27 likes this.
  18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

Shelta pod looks fantastic...
    Curious to see how small it packs down.
    I probably would not get one just because of the price...but if someone gifted me one..I would be happy.

19. melissa

I think I did see them when they were first starting out - was it a bit like "crowdfunded"?

20. Whitie

Whitie Well-Known Member

Wollombi, they say its always better with a partner :rolleyes: IMG_0937.JPG

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019