1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awning vs. Gazebo

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by The 4 of bus, Jan 2, 2019.

1. The 4 of bus

The 4 of bus Member

Yeah, they are in their second production now, have fixed some of the teething problems from the first run. They look quite good

melissa likes this.
  2. mr930

mr930 Active Member

We have a rhino batwing awning on ours. It is great, goes out and around the rear as well.

oldman, cbus, tintop and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Great topic and fantastic to see everyone's set ups. We have done a fair bit of travelling since we Gertie came along a bit over a year ago. Have been travelling with Cath and Myself + 2 teenage kids on most trips. Very happy with our camp solution. Goals were for quick setup, flexibility, drive off capability, no permanent awning mounted on outside, small when packed up, room for 4 to sit out of sun or rain and simple. Only mod to Kombi was to mount 4 Stainless D hooks under pop top, 2.4m x 3m tarp with corresponding carrabeeners for easy clip on. 4 poles + ropes and pegs. all fits under R&R seat when stowed. To drive away just un-clip the carrabeeners and drop the flap down. Kids have two OZ Tent Bunkers which don't need to be under the awning or even anywhere near the kombi for that matter!!. They go on the front roof rack and are super quick to set up and down (1 min) and are fully storm proof. Only modification we will make is to have the awning made up on a retro canvas something like this (https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/307863324512798425). Pics below are this Christmas/New Year at Scotts Head.
    upload_2019-1-5_21-44-55.png

upload_2019-1-5_21-45-53.png

4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I like them! Do they have a fly on them?

Oz tents are great.
    We have the Blackwolf - another 2 minutes up and down set up.

To me it is all about a quick getaway.

Some setups are a good hour packing poles and tarps

When it’s raining you need to be able get on the road quickly

5. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Yep, great quality, they have the fly's on them in the pic. You can take it off and just sleep with the midgy proof insect screen if weather looks good. They are basically an off the ground swag that fold out like a camp chair type arrangement.
    Cheers
    Geoff

Barry likes this.
  6. autron

autron Member

we have one each side helps keep the sun off the sides and heating up inside

19959302_10209699648023692_8568281523856091729_n.jpg

7. Petra

Petra Member

H
    hi there what do you mean by fastening points?
    Sorry I know it’s an old post.

8. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Hopefully @tillis will answer.

So - what (I think) he means is some how you need to fix the tarp on the drivers side.

Simplest way is to have ropes going over the Kombi to pegs?

Otherwise Tillis May have a way where something clamps onto the driver gutter that allows you to tie a rope to?

Hope this give some ideas

9. tillis

tillis Well-Known Member

Yeah I think I just had long enough cords to tie to bull bar door handle and rear bumper...havnt been anywhere for so long that trip seems like a dream!

David H likes this.
  10. Kazz

Kazz Well-Known Member

upload_2020-4-11_14-23-14.jpeg

Wayne murray likes this.
  11. Kazz

Kazz Well-Known Member

upload_2020-4-11_14-25-6.jpeg
    We have had a few versions that have been all good.

Attached Files:

12. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I use this drive away tent for longer stays sat 3 days or more. Connects to the van & can leave sliding door open & step straight into the tent.
    IMG_0543.JPG IMG_0544.JPG

Kazz and Wayne murray like this.
  13. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

You can sort of see our gazebo in our avatar pic, home made, very strong and high enough to park the kombi under and pop the roof. Took near an hr to erect so it was only good for longer camps. The trap ended up getting a hole burnt in it .... long story, so we bought one of those fold up jobs that you pull the top over and Velcro the sides with straps and has a spring in the centre to hold the top up and keep it tight. The legs extended long enough to still drive Kombi under it and pop the top, tied down solid and if there was any question we threw a truck ratchet strap over it and pegged that down. Took about 20 mins to erect and put away, not as waterproof but great as a sun shade to keep the kombi cool inside and have some where marked out that was your spot with all your gear under cover.

T1 Terry