1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery Problem / Drain

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by frosty, Mar 15, 2020.

1. frosty

frosty New Member

I took my 76 vw kombi for a short test drive around the block after replacing the gear box coupling. The next morning I jumped in to go to work. Turned it over and it slowly turned over about three times. Dead battery. Went to work came home and disconnected the battery and put it on charge for 48Hrs. Took it off and left in for a day or two and checked the voltage. Reading about 13v. So I connected up the positive got my 20 amp multi-meter and placed one end on the negative terminal and the other on the negative strap. Sparks went flying and multi-meter over loaded. So I pulled all the fuses out and tryed again, same result. So I disconnected the starter motor, hot start relay and voltage regulator and tryed again but same result.
    I don't have a dual battery set up and the battery is 6/7 years old.

So what could be causing this?? A faulty battery??

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

No
    Faulty batteries don’t cause current flow.

Something is.

Just a matter of finding it

3. frosty

frosty New Member

So any ideas of what would be pulling more than 20 amps?

4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

A short off the battery somewhere.

Pull all bulbs for starters.

Look at the radio.

It is something before the fuse as it isn’t blowing fuses.

Dumb thought
    Did you take battery out?

5. frosty

frosty New Member

Ok so started re-checking everything. Found I hadn't taken one of the wire's to the start motor fully off (Major Face PALM). So took it fully off and now 0 amps being drawn. Replaced all the fuses, reconnected hot start relay and voltage meter. Still 0 amps.

So does that mean my starter solenoid is jammed on?? If so can that just be replaced or are the starter and solenoid one unit??

6. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

The issue to start with having issues starting it could be starter motor. One thing a bad starter motor does is flatten the battery. Get a auto electrician to rebuild your starter motor,you can just replace the solenoid if that is the problem or you can get a new high torque starter. Answer is in your court.

7. frosty

frosty New Member

Update:- Decided to give the solenoid a gentle tap, clean the connectors and re-connect the wires one at a time. No problem. Re-connected battery and started it, turned it off and disconnected negative to test again, no drain at all. So have re-connected battery and will leave it over night. Seems the starter was drawing current even though it was off and all it needed was disconnecting and re-connecting but still doesn't explain why.

8. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Because it’s not fused.

If your solenoid is jammed on it is connecting your battery to your starters.

You have two choices.

1. Rebuilding your starter and solenoid AND replacement of the bushing.

2. Put a new brushless Wasp starter in.

Please tick option 2

9. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Also, not a direct part of this problem but since you mentioned you have one, look at removing the hot start relay and replace the ignition switch which is likely the problem that prompted the install of it in the first place. Once the contacts burn a bit with 40 years of use the resistance goes up and can cause low voltage at the starter solenoid and the ignition coil making it hard to start.

One of those common issues which lead to a bad day down the line. The 74-79 bay switches are about 20 to 30 bucks. Good to have a spare in the tool box as you can temporarily fit it to get you home.

Adrian

syncro, Wayne murray and David H like this.
  10. deger

deger Active Member

Barry, what is the ‘Wasp’starter ??

11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

deger likes this.
  12. deger

deger Active Member

Ahhh, now that looks like just the ticket for Moby too. Great thread. Thanks.