1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery setup

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by auschook, Oct 27, 2012.

1. auschook

auschook Member

I am putting my kombi in to the vw mech on monday to get a second battery (Ritar AGM 100AH sealed ,deep cycle) put in. This is all fairlly new to me (i am a 58 yo female lol) so what is the best way to get it all decked out, it probably sounds like a dumb question but i want to get it right the first time and ANY advice would be much appreciated. I am also buying a 80 watt foldable solar panel.
    Thanx
    Jools

2. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

Personally I have the Ctek D250S controller.
    It does everything you need from isolate your starting battery (so that even if you flatten the 'house battery' you canstill start your car) to controlling the charging of the battery by both the solar and alternator/generator.

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

For a start I'd go to an auto electrician, not a mechanic.

4. leithbro

leithbro Member

Yeah, me too... or a battery outfit.

5. auschook

auschook Member

He has done electrical work on my kombi before so i trust him completely.

Jools

6. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

7. drivesafe

drivesafe Active Member

Hi Jools and how did you get on with your auxiliary battery fitting?

8. auschook

auschook Member

Hi Drivesafe i picked up my beloved "Frooty" today and all seems pretty straightforward (i think) .. i said i wanted it kept simple for my old head to get around it. Just a matter of switching over from car battery to aux battery and it charges whilst driving. He also fitted a 300 watt inverter i had. i just ordered an 80 watt portable solar panel so i will get that connected soon as well. i think they need one of those "courses for dummies" for people like me!! lol

Jools

9. drivesafe

drivesafe Active Member

Hi Jools and is that a manual switch or is it automatic?

10. TheYorkieBar

TheYorkieBar Active Member

Good on you Jools for trying to get your head around it and having a go....

11. auschook

auschook Member

It is a manual switch drivesafe, flick left to charge aux battery, right to charge car battery and in the middle charges both!!

12. drivesafe

drivesafe Active Member

Hi Jools and in the industry, that is known as an idiot switch set up.

This does not imply the user is an idiot, but the first time you forget and leave the switch in the wrong position and flatten your cranking battery, you will feel like an idiot.

This is the problem with getting a MECHANIC to fit electrics to a vehicle ( as Syncro warned ). See how you go with that set up but at some time in the future you might want to look at fitting a VSR ( Voltage Sensing Relay ).

This would make your set up fully automatic and remove the risk of accidentally flattening your cranking battery.

13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

A VSR can easily be added to your manual switch and you will have the best of both worlds.

14. auschook

auschook Member

I can get forgetful so i might look into the VSR switch, are they very exxy??

15. drivesafe

drivesafe Active Member

Hi Jools and while I was not trying to drum up business, I do make isolators and Kombi specific kits.

I just wish I had given you some heads up replies before you got your work done, but I am so flat-out with orders that I have only been checking the threads once every few days so I missed yours.

But again as Syncro posted, you can now set yourself up with an all in one system.

I have a new isolator that will not only protect your cranking battery from being over discharged but it allows you to run all your accessories but also protects your auxiliary battery from being over discharged.

All done automatically and I could make up a system that will connect to 2 of the studs on your switch you had fitted, making for a very simple installation.

Shame you weren’t on the other side of Brisbane, I could have done the install for you.

This special kit would be $145, including postage, for you as a KombiClub member.

16. auschook

auschook Member

You say 'simple installation' .. i know nothing about this type of thing as i am a 58 yo recycled hippy lol .. if i purchased the kit could pleeeease include a step by step installation giude?? Thanx mate i am interested in getting the kit. Cheers and many thanx
    Jools

17. Brent Jeal

Brent Jeal New Member

Hi drivesafe. I live on the sunshine coast and am looking at installing a second battery in my 76 Bay Camper. What would a complete kit cost me less the battery?

18. drivesafe

drivesafe Active Member

Hi Jools and do you have a set of terminal crimps.

If you do not know what I am talking about, please say so as this will guide me on how best to put a kit together for you.

Cheers, Tim.

19. drivesafe

drivesafe Active Member

Hi Brent and as posted, I am flat out but I am putting a new complete Kombi kit together and I will give you a price soon.

20. auschook

auschook Member

Sorry Tim i have no idea what "terminal crimps" are and thanx again for making it all a bit easier for me.
    Jools