1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bay Flipper Windows

Discussion in 'Body' started by TeeBee, Jan 14, 2019.

1. TeeBee

TeeBee Member

My flipper windows are looking very 'ordinary', with a little bit of rust on the frame. Can I restore them? Or would I have to buy new ones? Anyone got any hints on how to fix them up?

Kombi flipper window.jpg

2. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

they come out easy enough...may be more rust underneath....so rust converter and paint might not be enough. you can buy new frames from Mick Motors

TeeBee likes this.
  3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

New or restore.....either way you’ll have to remove them.....
    Once out, do what you can .......and if all else fails, replace em!
    Cheers,
    Mark

TeeBee likes this.
  4. TeeBee

TeeBee Member

It might be easier buying new frames I suppose. This one has the knob broken off on the inside. Do new frames come with the knobs? Or do I have to buy them separately? Anyone got instructions on how to remove them?
    Kombi flipper window 2.jpg

5. TeeBee

TeeBee Member

Of course, I could have looked this up myself, instead of asking you lot! Ha ha. So the knobs and frames are separate to buy. Geesh, the frames aren't cheap, are they? $160 each. o_O So hopefully I *might* be able to clean up the frames and just buy new knobs... If I can work out how to remove them...

6. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Hard to tell how bad the frame is ,if bits of the frame are missing due to rust ,replacement is the best bet.If pitted only repairing is possible.
    To remove the 1/4 window you should take out the 3/4 window first. You slide the 1/4 window back to the notch and there is a section on the 1/4 window that fits in that notch once you have reached it you can push it out from the top.
    New units come complete except outer rubber and are not cheap. I have remade the 1/4 from buying new parts before they where selling complete windows. You can buy individual parts
    The trouble of remaking them is not hard but no where near easy either. To replace the frame the glass sits in you need to completely pull the 1/4 window apart,
    Then you need a new glass frame, new rubber between the frame and glass ,new knob section ,new rivets to hold the complete knob section onto glass frame. the outer C shape frame might need replacing depends on how much rust and the outer post might also need replacing also due to rust and then the outer rubber might also need replacing,old rubber makes a job harder then it already needs to be. If the outer metal frames are any good you still will need to treat any rust and repaint to protect the frame again.
    https://www.justkampers.com.au/vw-t...ws-nearside-left-vw-type-2-bay-1967-1979.html
    [​IMG]

TeeBee and Grantus like this.
  7. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

i actually go the other way, flipper window first then the 3/4 window...by bending the tabs

IMG_20190114_194121.jpg IMG_20190114_194256.jpg

TeeBee and Grantus like this.
  8. Wayne murray

I was thinking the opposite to how you would put them in . Read under NOTE above:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  9. andrewjdriscoll

andrewjdriscoll Active Member

Hey Teebee,

In a similar quandary. $600 each per Bus Stop. $300 each per Justkampers. I got my niece to bring me back three from the UK. $1000AUD. I just haven't got around to fitting them. I really don't like the look of the sliders.

good luck,

AJD

TeeBee likes this.
  10. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

definitely easier with the 3/4 windows out but then you start fighting with the 3/4 window instead. i like putting the 3/4 window in (using some of the space of the flipper) then slide it backwards into the angled rear section...whatever works for you...but it is possible to only take out the flipper if that's the only one you need to work on

TeeBee likes this.
  11. Wayne murray

:eek:Costly to replace:eek:

12. Wayne murray

Do the new ones look like they are well made, Did yours come complete with outer rubber on? Some have them listed without outer rubber that was all.

13. TeeBee

TeeBee Member

They sure are! I don't think I need new glass, so I'm hoping to get away with just buying the frames.
    Screenshot_20190114-210445_Samsung Internet-01.jpeg

14. Wayne murray

:eek:Ouch:eek: What do you do? :rolleyes:o_O Fix it or let it rust more:eek: which will be more costly then that.:(
    Does it mention what the frame is made off?

15. TeeBee

TeeBee Member

I know.... :confused: I'll just have to take them out and see how much rust is hiding in there! o_O

oldman likes this.
  16. TeeBee

TeeBee Member

Nope, it doesn't say what they're made of.

17. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

18. TeeBee

TeeBee Member

@tintop - thanks for that. At least Mick's Motors is a little bit cheaper than JK.

19. andrewjdriscoll

Hey Wayne,

Do they look well made? Yes, they do, but, I've not taken the original ones out for a comparison. No, they din't come with outer rubbers. I was planning to reuse original 1972 glass and rubbers. In conversation with panel beater who believes it can be done and will be expensive. These are the same units carried by the Bus Stop. I bought them off Custom and Commercial (who supply the Bus Stop) in the UK. I was fortunate that my niece was returning from a semester at Leeds University and she brought them back in her hand luggage. I researched this extensively. Even if you buy the inner frame, you may still need the outer frame, rubbers, knobs etc. I bit the bullet. I now need to get the originals out, check for rust, swap glass over, spray paint new ones and install. Sort of why I have been sitting on my hands but, gee........the new ones look nice.

all the best,

AJD

Wayne murray likes this.
  20. andrewjdriscoll

I see they are now $632 @ the Bus Stop and $425 @ Just Kampers. Bloody Expensive.

AJD