1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bay window temporary windscreen - pass the parcel!!

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by happysyncro, Jan 14, 2019.

1. happysyncro

happysyncro Member

This used to be essential for outback travel in the days before laminated windscreens. It is a rolled up temporary windscreen for a VW type 2 Bay windscreen Kombi. This came with a 1700cc yes 1700 1973 Kombi that I bought(& sold) in 1977 in London to do the classic Aussie round Britain and Europe trip. Its basically high grade plastic that is braced with rods in a way that allows it to work as a temporary windscreen until it can be replaced. It says it still allows use of washers and wipers. Even today there are many places that you would have quite a wait for a VW windscreen replacement. As it rolls up compactly I brought it back to Australia with me in case of need but fortunately although it has since travelled to the 4 extreme compass points of Australia in T2, T3 Syncro and T5 4motion campers, I've never ever needed to break the seal on its container. It is only made for a T2 Bay window vehicle although it may fit others.
    P1290625.JPG P1290626.JPG P1290627.JPG P1290628.JPG Irreplaceable interesting VW nostalgia with possible practical value? The world's most travelled temporary windscreen?
    As an old bloke reflecting the pleasure I've had with Kombis and Kombi owners over many years I'm also susceptible to "encouraging the vibe" by giving it to someone with a good story on why I should give it to them for free.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    76kampa, Nozza, melissa and 3 others like this.
  2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

What a great piece! And an excellent journey! :)

Not even trying for ownership, but do trust it will end up in good and caring hands for future preservation. ;)

3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I would love to buy it! I don't think I have a story worthy of getting it for free but if we could work it out so that it didn't have to be posted but passed on like some olympic baton from KC member to KC member and I could get it at the Bus Stop? - with photos of it being passed on?

Jethro, Debstar, bern and 2 others like this.
  4. bern

bern Well-Known Member

real romantic idea with class, Melissa
    why not take it around Ozz, Mel to Tas etc and pics along the way of places and KCers...Coffee Table Book material VOLMA!!!
    and you sure are a deserving recipient
    happy new year with a bright idea and a vw relic to enjoy....ok folks add your name ...I am in Bris drvn sth some time soon.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Debstar and melissa like this.
  5. Grantus

Far safer than risking it being lost by Australia Post as well! ;)

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Au post might do the full au circuit as well :D

chris taylor and Wayne murray like this.
  7. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

It’d mostly likely go to places that it was never intended.....:rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Mark

Debstar likes this.
  8. happysyncro

happysyncro Member

Gee what terrific responses from late night musings by an old Kombi man. Melissa, I have to award you the windscreen for your "handing on the baton" idea as it satisfies Grantus' (and my) desire for it to go to "good and caring hands for future preservation" ; epitomises the ethos of the Kombi Club in using people power to educate, amuse, inspire and create selfless goodwill, and even has elements of block chain technology to put the frighteners on Linfox, Toll and Australia Post ! So any of you about to be vulgar enough to put in a monetary bid - TOO LATE - but we now need bids to get it from me (Roger North Carlton Victoria) to Melissa Newcastle NSW plus a brief posting (and photo?), where it is now and what was said on hand over. Probably requires a new thread as For Sale is no longer relevant.
    Whilst overseas offers to extend the journey via New York and Rio and Old London Town will undoubtedly flood in, I think it should still call Australia home and equally not go the Nullarbor, Perth, Darwin way round between Melbourne and Newcastle- but then again perhaps I lack vision?
    The challenge is on - who is going to pick it up from me in North Carlton and take it North? What do members reckon-1) get in all the bids and then plot a route or 2)get it on its way and keep bids coming in on a dynamic basis reflecting the progress? Should its carriage only be in a Kombi? Are you happy with these suggestions Melissa? Could be a good start to 2019 and provide some amusement.
    Finally could someone advise me how to change my profile picture from nothing to this one taken from my Kombis to the Kape journey that also answers the forum question recently posed "do you really need a Syncro?"

P1290634.JPG

76kampa, Jethro, Syncro27 and 3 others like this.
  9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I'm sure Melissa ,as admin, can handle a photo change and thread swap if desired.
    Regards, " do you really need a syncro? ".
    I would suggest that is parallel to ones sanity, or lack thereof.
    Yes I want one.
    Or is it more adventurous to attempt same in a bastardised 2WD ??

Syncro27 and Debstar like this.
  10. melissa

Thank you Roger!

Debstar likes this.
  11. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

My next trip to Melbourne will be early April on a cruise if you can't get anyone sooner.

Debstar likes this.
  12. happysyncro

happysyncro Member

Thanks you Melissa for fixing the photo change. Will be interesting to see what transpires. If all else fails I have a Daughter-in-law in Portland with a Father in Newcastle so will flag it with her as a back stop when/if travelling North. However having just gone up for Christmas that is not currently on the horizon. Anyway your idea has much more fun potential. Do you agree with, and can you carry out, the thread swap?
    cbus yes you got me in one on sanity but as you get older people take it as more normal behaviour. Mrs Cook probably said to the renowned Captain "You're going where?" all those years ago and if you look on UTube there are plenty of examples of what happens when you get the balance wrong. I think Darwin suggested it was how natural selection culls out the gene pool. Our 2008 trip to the Cape was filmed and put on utube as follows:-

<

See for yourself. I'm driving the Syncro that precedes the Bay T2 going down Gunshot. A good case where too much exuberance could be disastrous. It was all Syncros with the exception of a 4 motion T5 that didn't go down the old telegraph track and a lone Bay with a LSD and very chunky mud tyres that did. I understand he had to overhaul the gearbox on his return and we had to fix a shock absorber whilst away but no trouble apart from that. Not bad for 20-30 year old vehicles. Don't tell my wife but I'd do it again in a heartbeat with the same group of people but not sure I'd use the T5 even with 4motion and diff lock unless I did something about ground clearance.
    Phil great to hear from you and that you are cruising in more ways than one. I must be one of hundreds that have benefitted from you unique T3 knowledge and friendship over the years.
    The early responses fill me with confidence to see how this thread evolves.

76kampa, Syncro27, bern and 5 others like this.
  13. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

They shouldn't be able to break it not being glass.

Debstar and melissa like this.
  14. melissa

So lets start this off - is there anyone that lives near Roger in Carlton that is able to pick up the "baton" and get it moving towards me - either in Newcastle or to the Bus Stop in Mallacoota? We want a photo of the passing and post it here :)

15. happysyncro

happysyncro Member

Hi Melissa, Not going quite as quickly as I hoped but its early days yet and I'm still confident its only a question of being patient. Did you mean to write "or to the Bus Stop in Mallacoota". above? Its how I'd say Mudgearaba, Bus Stop's home in Queensland, if someone put too much sherry in the Christmas pudding, but do they also have an outlet in Mallacoota (Vic) that could get it to you if it gets to them?
    You don't seem like a person who would make a few seats short of a microbus typo.
    Cheers
    Roger
    PS I was told I had AB positive blood but I found it was actually a TypO.

76kampa and Debstar like this.
  16. Grantus

To clarify Mel’s suggestion, this years 2019 Easter Bus Stop gathering of Kombi Club members is happening in Mallacoota, Vic, and as she’s yet to miss a Bus Stop, she’ll def be there. ;)

Click on the link:

http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/bus-stop-2019-details.57070/

Maybe you could also attend, and do the hand over in person? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Debstar likes this.
  17. melissa

Thanks Roger - yes Grant is correct - I meant that it could be handed over at Mallacoota at Easter at The Bus Stop if we can't get others to get involved.

Your PS belongs in another thread ;)

Debstar likes this.
  18. 73kombi

73kombi Active Member

I think an official handing over ceremony at the Saturday night dinner is in order here!

19. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Alice and I would feel privileged if we can pass this on to Mallacoota.

73kombi, David H and melissa like this.
  20. happysyncro

happysyncro Member

So plan A (in preference order) we are looking for someone to get us going from Carlton northwards towards Melissa in Newcastle. (I could probably meet someone in the Northern Melbourne suburbs to hand over for the first stage if getting to Carlton is a problem. Here is an immediate opportunity to be involved in the fun and publicity of getting this relatively small item (rather like a rolled up newspaper) to one of KombiClub's administrators, generous with her time.
    plan B Alice and Wuz (VanHousing) are first cab off the rank offering to take it to Mallacoota at Easter. There's still quite a bit of time until Good Friday on the 19th April if we could plot definite offers to get it to Melissa prior to that. Do you want to keep this opportunity open a little longer Melissa? Otherwise, if you would prefer, we should congratulate and thank Alice and Wuz for their kind offer and let it go down to Mallacoota with them for a grand handing over ceremony at the Saturday night dinner? I regularly visit a son in Osbourne St Williamstown, so it would be no problem for me to get it to them.
    I hope I haven't oversold its qualities as I'm feeling a little like Brian's mother in "Life of Brian" -Its not the greatest vision ever made, its just a very haughty temporary windscreen!