1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by greenbay, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

Ireland toasts 250 years of Uncle Arthur's brew

Ireland toasts the 250th birthday this week of Guinness, the country's unofficial national drink, as the iconic brand battles to hold its own in the global economic downturn.

The company is celebrating the decision by Arthur Guinness, the son of a land steward, to sign a 9,000-year lease on a run-down brewery in Dublin's St. James's Gate in 1759.
    It was the birth of a drinks legend and the start of one of Ireland's biggest success stories: the consumption of the dark ale spread around the world and some 10 million pints are now downed every day in 150 countries.
    The birthday marketing hype will peak at 17:59 pm (1659 GMT) Thursday not just in Ireland but also in New York, Lagos and Kuala Lumpur with the toast "To Arthur!" to be followed by big name concerts and gigs.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...ears-of-uncle-arthurs-brew-20090923-g2bm.html

2. The Brewmaster

The Brewmaster New Member

Ahhhhhhhh ........ small quaint Irish local pub in Donegal on the west coast of Ireland after they were knocked out of the all-Ireland Hurling championship in 96.

It was a sad day but we helped commiserate their loss ........ :D ............. and my first taste of Guiness .............................ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

3. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

After working the weekend and the past 3 nights on night fill, today i have settled down to have a few miller chills.:lol: with a bundy red chaser.

4. Terrordales

I had OSI in for a service today & decided to head down to Wollongong to check out a couple of cameras.
    In order to get the camera facts correct I went to the Five Islands Brewing Company ( http://www.fiveislandsbrewery.com/1.html )for lunch & a couple of pints of Rust ( an amber ale) but fittingly named for a Kombi owner.:lol: a very pleasant couple of hours, sitting on the balconey & gazing out to sea.I've tried most of their beers & this is one of my favourites. Hopefully they'll have their beer tasting club back on again this summer.:D
    Not sure if I decided which will be the new camera but did have a delicious lunch & had I not had to drive home,I'd probably have had a couple more pints.:D

5. phatratpat

phatratpat New Member

was there in 92 !!......always playing catch up aint you !! young pup !!.....:p

6. Terrordales

I was there in 76.:p
    Now who's a young pup?:umm:

7. phatratpat

phatratpat New Member

DAM!! Don I knew you were old.....but I didnt think you were that old.......:p

8. The Brewmaster

................ and I suppose you were tasting Italian, German and Austrian beers up in the Dolomites skifields as well ............oh esteemed and hairy elder ............

......................waiting, waiting , waiting .................1......2.......3 .......4 .......5 ..............geee Patty's slowing down with his witty retorts ........:D .............

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  9. phatratpat

phatratpat New Member

never made it to Italy......they have beer ???.........:rolleyes:

10. The Brewmaster

.........................oh Patty .......... you have much to learn about beer from places .....................

Beer in the Dolomites is right on the Italian/Austrian border so you have the best of Italian, Austrian and German beers on tap and especially the quaint way they wet the glass before they pour from the tap.

Greece and Egypt on a school trip was also good but I loved the Everest beer in Nepal.

11. Terrordales

Have some respect child.:lol:
    They have some excellent beers in Italy.
    "Duo grande biera per favor."
    Second phrase I learnt in Italian, just after "duo espresso":p

12. The Brewmaster

Same two phrases I learnt but in the other order.

Third .......... ' ciao bella' .....................:D ........................ almost never came back

13. Terrordales

Forgot about that one.:lol:
    Everytime I've been in Italy I've thought about not coming back.
    Especially in the north:heart: .

14. The Brewmaster

Especially when the ladies are so nice ....................... and gorgeous .................. ;)

15. phatratpat

phatratpat New Member

OH !!! its off to the doghouse for you when the missus see,s this....:wtf:

16. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Is it that time of the week already???

Just made the trip to the fridge.

Fat Yak again. Hooked.

17. greenbay

greenbay New Member

well i'm slumming it with a few icy cans of tooheys new

18. generation fade

generation fade New Member

laid down a batch of dark ale today, had a creatures bright ale and hoegaarden for dinner

19. Marlyn

Marlyn Well-Known Member

started with a Sol ( courtesy of son #2 ) Hubert ( mick ) got him onto them better than Corona he reckons ! But just had to cleanse the palate with 3,4 no 5 James Squire Amber Ales........ready for a snore now!

20. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Currently on my 2nd beer for the day, Abbey Ale 7%.

[​IMG]