1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beryl Hit up the Ass this Arvo

Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by Syncro27, Dec 13, 2012.

1. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

She looks amazing, love that colour.

2. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Looks fantastic!! - great how bad things sometimes turn out for the better - you have to be very happy with that :)

3. jb4845

jb4845 Member

Fantastic - Beryl looks lovely now, not that she wasn't a good looker before ;)

That little accident has been a blessing in disguise - good stuff Scott

4. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

Bloody hell that looks nice!
    I am now officially embarassed by the distressed state of my kombi.

Steve

5. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Lovely work Scott.She is one serious headturner now. Look forward to seeing her in the sheet metal. John Doherty in Adelaide:cool:

6. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Thanks all,

Beryls starter motor died today so she is not coming to the Bus Stop but I am sure she will be seen by a fair few soon enough.

I think the NRMA all know me by face and name now.

She runs well once started but the starter does not even turn.

A fun job for when we return.

Still very happy and I have dropped my drivers seat off to be re-trimmed in new TMI covers.

Love my colour painted dash too!

7. Greg N

Greg N Member

Wow! Beryl looks amazing :cool:

8. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Yes, very Awsome.. :)

9. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Zzzzappped the spammer!

10. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Hey Jon long time no hear. Heard you got married :) congrats.

11. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

Looks awesome Syncro, it's pretty much my desired ride. Lowlight, beryl green and a dickie seat to boot. The only thing it needs now is me in the drivers seat.;)

12. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Hi Phil, yeah been busy, thanks mate!
    Thread hi jack over!

13. kombivan

kombivan New Member

bnrparts on ebay have good starter motors and get here very quick from the states about 150.00 delivered full rebuild.

14. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Pull it apart give it a clean and replace what's worn out.

15. Syncro27

I keep forgrtting to update this thread.

Anyway, Beryl is working fine again now with a re-conditioned starter plus a new battery.

Batteries dont like sitting still for 6 weeks and being used to start a van that only move 10 feet and gets turned off.

Anywaythe battery was nearly 5 years old - so not bad a life span in a hot kombi engine bay.

I also finally completed the repair puzzle with some brand new deluxe rear bumper trims from Pat in Thailand. Very shiny and the fit real nice.

I only really needed one but everything comes in pairs these days.

Now fitted and looking more like when she was first purchased:

New in plastic wrap:
    [​IMG]

One side done and the other half way:
    [​IMG]

Helped having a replacement deluxe rear bar to get the holes already drilled.

All Done and 100% fixed:
    [​IMG]

16. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

Beryl is looking much happier now Scott. Time to get out and take her for a cruise. :cool:

17. Syncro27

Thanks Julian.

Just cruised up to Kempsey and back to deliver my syncro gearbox for repair as the boss broke it again - she seems to have this hate of 2nd gear.

Anyway Beryl went flawlessly - brilliantly even despite driving through what felt like a cyclone rain a few times on the way up yesterday - down to 40km/hr as I couldnt see where I was going.

I even managed to thow up some curtains and sleep in her at a mates place in Port - very cosy!

If the syncro gearbox bill is not too bad - seems like I only need a new 2nd gear (it was missing 3 teeth) and a couple of bearings (which you replace every time the gearbox is open) yet I might install a taller 4th gear $$$ - I wshould be able to get out more.

Although with the extremely heavy rain the windscreen seal leaks slightly - so a I need a new one of them. More $$$.

18. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

That's great beryl is performing well.

Re the windscreen - mine was leaking a tad and I suspected rust so pulled it out fixed a small spot of rust and put a new seal in and the damn thing still leaked! Pulled it out and put sealant around the seal where it met the body and it still leaked! After watching it realy closely found the water was Comming in between the glass and the rubber.

I ran a bit of sealant around the glass and all is fixed.

The sealant I used was called Dab-off made by wurth.
    It doesn't set like the rubbish you find at most auto shops. It's realy easy to clean up the excess - it's like a realy sticky blue tac.

19. Syncro27

Bernie,

I have a plan to get one of those wide (Cal) seals as mine just has the standard width one which allows the water to sit under the windscreen which I dont like.

When the previous repairer did my welding on Beryl (not the current repairer - he was great), I went for a drive in very heavy rain after and the windscreen leaked like a sieve - went back to him and he told me to get someone to seal it up with windscreen sealer - (dont you love the driveway warrnty these shithead repairers give). Anyway I went away pissed off vowing never to return there again and found a really good old school windscreen guy and he sealed it up and it never leaked again.

Problem is - once the gunk is on the seal and you take the windscreen out again then put it back after major surgery - it never really seals well again whilst the sealer is still on the rubber seal. You would need to spend hours removing the gunk and have no windscreen in the mean time - great for bugs in your teeth driving!

Hence, I am going to invest in a new wide lip seal for my windscreen and then have this fantastic windscreen repairer install it. Then it wont leak.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  20. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

aplna = a plan....?