1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best place to buy a gearbox?

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Desmond, May 24, 2014.

1. Desmond

Desmond New Member

Hi all, I did a search for this and couldn't find what I was after.

My mechanic put a second hand gearbox in only two years ago and it's already gone! I'd like to do it properly this time. Does anyone know where I can buy a new or decent refurbished one? I am based in Victoria and have a 74 Bay with a Type 4 engine.

Thanks for any help

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

3. Desmond

Desmond New Member

Thanks for your reply Barry

I had a 2L, but the mechanic changed the engine last year and I have a feeling it's an 1800 - tried to call him, but he's not in today. I'll find that out for sure first, then contact Rod.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
    Cheers

4. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Look at getting the box rebuilt.

If you can get you hands on the 2litre box you originally had. A rebuild should cost around $1800.

Buying a second hand box is a bit of a gamble as you have allready experienced.

5. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

So who rebuilds boxes in Melbourne??

6. Desmond

Desmond New Member

Thanks for your reply Saabman. I ended up getting a refurbished one installed. Just picked it up two days ago, funnily enough. It cost $1800, too.

I've driven it once and I'm not sure if it's a great gearbox, so far. It is a proper two litre one, though. Going to see how it handles over the weekend, the problem is it doesn't click into second, like the rest of the gears. It does go in, though. I think I need a new mechanic, just struggling to find the right one around my way!

I'd be keen to know who is best to get a rebuild done in Melbourne for future reference, also.

Cheers!

7. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Yes, that price is for basics....

If you have secondary issues like gears that need replacing/housing machining, then that will need to be added.

8. 79_micro_bus

79_micro_bus Member

I had a rebuilt gearbox for sale for $1,850.

If anyone has a 2 litre gearboxes for sale I'd be interested in hearing from you. Especially if you live in Melbourne.

9. NonnoTony48

NonnoTony48 Member

Mine Was Worked on by Volksrepair in Airport West. I have phone No, and address if needed.

Cheers Tony.:)

10. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

I am also interested in dead or dying 2L gearboxes.... from anywhere in the country.