1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best place to buy a new or reconditioned engine

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Desmond, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Desmond

Desmond New Member

Hi all,

I spotted this post here, but it's from 2007 and I believe The Bus Stop are no longer selling engines. I just wanted to ask for updated advice!
    http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?4602-Engine-options-for-a-71-Bay/page2

I have a 74 Bay, with a 2 litre, type 4 engine. It stopped working on Sat and the mechanic tells me it's seized up. I think he can only source second hand engines, but I want to hold onto this Van forever if possible, so I'd like to do a proper job of it :)

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a place to buy new or reconditioned engines? If not Australia, even overseas? There is a bloke called Laurie Pettitt in the UK who is a bit of a legend when it comes to rebuilding engines, just wondering if there's a go to guy in Australia?!

I'm based in Melbourne, if that helps.

Cheers

2. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

There is a few.

[h=3]Matt Berry Motor Sports[/h]
    • 5 Old Coach Way, Lake Macdonald Qld 4563
    • Phone: 07 5472 0212

http://www.stanpobjoy.com.au/

http://www.rodpenroseracing.com.au/

The above 3 are tried and trusted by many people in the community. There will certainly be others too but make sure you get recommendations for them before going down that path.
    Avoid overseas. No matter how good it will cost you a fortune in shipping if you want to claim any warranty.

3. Desmond

Desmond New Member

Hi Brad

Thanks for your reply. I've given two of them a call and waiting to hear back from Rod. They both were very helpful and it's a massive help pointing me in the right direction, so cheers!

I've been overseas for a while, but the engine in it now was originally a refurbished one installed by Wolfgang at Volkscourt in Thomastown. I thought I'd call him again to get a price - he quoted $4500 to rebuild the current engine. Just wondering if anyone else from Melbourne has used Volkscourt in recent years and if they come recommended these days?!

Cheers
    Paul

4. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

If someone had built me an engine and that engine died ... well I wouldn't be busting their door down.
    Matt builds a magic motor

5. Desmond

Desmond New Member

Fair call Vassy! I should add that it was 16 years ago the last refurb engine was installed by Volkscourt.

I did speak to Matt, he seemed to know his stuff, so I'm considering getting the engine shipped up to him and doing it that way. He's busy till the New Year, but it maybe worth the wait.

Thanks again for your replies.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  6. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

That price above doesn't even cover parts and machining at cost.

Important things YOU need to consider/machine/renew in a build;

-Case face and line bore/deck, drill/tap/plug galleries.
    -Camshaft/cam gear/lifter renewal.
    -Crank grind(that is if it is not bent), Anything more than 0.5mm undersize requires re-nitriding the crank.
    -Resize and re-bush the rods.
    -Machine flywheel+new clutch kit(incl spigot brg).
    -New QUALITY piston and barrel kit
    -New engine bearings and gaskets(Main/rod/cam+Elring Gasket kit+crank/hub seals).
    -Dynamic Balance ENTIRE rotating assembly, including pressure plate and fan.
    -New AMC Heads+remedial work to make them work and be reliable(other valves/seats,springs/collets, etc+machine for correct comp...they are wrong out of the box).
    -New Rocker shafts+replacement rockers if yours are scrubbed, new tappet adjusting screws.
    -New oil pump(all the originals are worn out)
    -Above includes trial build to double check tolerances, set up cam timing/valve geometry, Dynamic comp+deck height adjustment, main bearing machine for fitting(thrust if not standard) and CC heads to ensure equality/correct volume.

That is your long block covered...Then there are all the other bits that need to be re-worked/rebuilt/checked for spec correctness to make it reliable and long lasting.

-Thermostat setup.
    -Making sure you have ALL tinware and insulation, plugs, grommets, hoses.
    -All cold start controls.
    -rebuilt CORRECT distributor and carbs.
    -rebuilt Alternator
    -Repaired/new heater boxes
    -New engine mounts
    -engine bay seal

While it is out, you should do the following;

-Give the starter some love with new brushes, solenoid kit and starter bush.
    -Pull the bulkhead plate off and replace ALL the fuel tank breather/neck hoses.

And lastly, An Appointment for a Dyno run to check mixtures under load as any lean running will kill it in short order.

Above is My minimum for a build..there are other bits and pieces that I haven't included above. IMHO, $4500 is just slapping on a set of Brand "X" pistons/barrels/heads right out of the box and kicking the car out the door afterward.

Happy shopping! :)

7. olovw

olovw Member

yep, when i started researching how much it will cost me to rebuild my 2L I was hoping 4-5K, the more I looked into it I realised to do it PROPERLY it won't be that,varoius quotes and discussions with workshops confirmed my 'fears', at the end it was over 7K but basically have a brand new engine.

8. 1500king

Yep, you got it, it is what it is... Anything less is like taking a stroll with the Grim Reaper. You can get away with a top end build if the bottom end shows that it is still ok(clearances, cam check, etc,etc), but in 99% of engines, that is not the case.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  9. Desmond

Desmond New Member

Hi 1500King and olovw, thanks for your replies. I replied yesterday I thought, but that doesn't seem to have shown up!

Thanks for your in depth list 1500, I'll be using that as a checklist when I get the engine properly done. I was going to send it off to one of the guys in NSW to get done, but yesterday my mechanic found an engine at the wreckers that had been refurbished 1 year ago. He's going to take the old one out and install it for $3500 all up. Whilst I would like a proper job done, this is half the price, money is a bit tight at the moment and it will be done in time for us to take the old girl to Tassie and Loch Sport over Christmas, so I couldn't pass up that opportunity.

I hope I don't end up regretting this, I am dancing with the Reaper though!

Once again, thanks for your help everyone.

10. 1500king

That is what dismantlers all say to flog you $3500 of somebody elses problem....rock apes. Can't say you haven't been warned.

11. cameron

cameron Member

get proof! :)