1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best vinyl care product?

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by LonePiper, Jun 23, 2014.

1. LonePiper

LonePiper Member

I'm planning to do some extensive reupholstery to my van in the near future, so I've been doing a little bit of research on how to care for it and make it last as long as possible.
    I just have a few questions (and mods - if this is in the wrong section, since I'm asking for advice not offering, feel free to move it :))
    Some products that usually come up are Blackfire, 303 Aerospace and a couple of others.
    (There's an interesting comparison here)

However, a company called Bowden has come up with their own product, simply called Vinyl Care. An article about it is here.
    The gist I'm getting from this, is that they developed the product because most other cleaners, while they give a very nice immediate result, contain chemicals and components that over a long period can actually harm vinyls.

Does anyone know anything about this? Does Bowden have a point, or are they just blowing smoke up our *rse to sell their product?
    Are there any other products anyone would suggest?

Cheers!

2. larrywaves

larrywaves Member

I was told to clean and protect my seats with a product called White Spirits, available from any hardware shop and not very expensive. I have used this on the seats door trims, Cupboards,even marks I sometimes get on the paint. The person who told me this is a very old school trimmer. It works great for me even though my seats and trims are white.

3. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

White Spirits is basically Pure Alcohol great at cleaning. For Protection I use Meguairs Natural Shine Protectant on my Door Trims, Seats and all Plastic and Vinyl trim bits, Its non Greasy, has ScotchGuard in it and lasts ages. Its not over shiny like some Vinyl sprays so no glare bouncing back etc. Of Course I clean everything prior to using it.
    I refuse to use Armorall I liken its effects to drinking lots of beer, whilst consuming things are great and your thirst is seemingly cured but once you stop, you are dehydrated and not great. Armorall is great whilst you use it but stop and thing dry out too quickly.
    I did have a 303 Sample product that was great cant remember the actual name etc, but have since got the Meguiars so stopped looking

4. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I think for the most part anything that is claimed to work will work. Brands such as Meguires and Armorall will be a good bet.
    But taking the time to clean and nourish the seats will add % to their life no matter how you do it.