1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bicheno and Freycinet National Park

Discussion in 'Tas' started by puttputtputt, Mar 8, 2008.

1. puttputtputt

puttputtputt New Member

Thought I'd share the first ever overnight trip I did in my bus! In 2007 a few mates and I decided to head down the east coast for a weekend as I had to pick up some full-size roof racks at the previous owner's shack in Bicheno. After putting the racks on the bus we realised we only had a couple of small straps for attachment but as former Scouts I think we did okay.
    [​IMG]
    I think this is near Freycinet.
    [​IMG]
    Bay of Fires perhaps? I'm not good with names!
    [​IMG]
    Almost at the National Park
    [​IMG]
    A few stray kayakers (can you see one of the two straps holding the racks in place heh)

2. puttputtputt

puttputtputt New Member

We drove into Freycinet National Park late in the evening, had more than a few drinks and left early the following morning.
    [​IMG]
    Mt Amos in the background
    Walked up Mt Amos, incredible view, and then down into Wineglass Bay for an *extremely* cold yet worthwhile swim.
    [​IMG]
    Getting up Amos..a walk which probably should not be done with thongs and jeans
    [​IMG]
    The view halfway up Amos. Not my legs - that was our dedicated photographer, another Ben :)

3. puttputtputt

puttputtputt New Member

[​IMG]
    The view at the top of Amos, Wineglass Bay all the way down there
    [​IMG]
    Such a lovely place!

And the weekend only got better. Beginning the drive home we saw a huge konvoy of bays, beetles and transports, all waving the flashing their lights. Such a beautiful sight - it was all I could do to not turn around and follow them back to Freycinet. Darn Uni.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A magical trip, I'm sure most Tassie buses would have ventured to the east coast and it's easy to see why!

Cheers
    Ben

4. Vanders

Vanders Active Member

A beautiful part of the world Ben. My ex runs the sea kayaking business down there. A worthwhile paddle experience, just don't mention my name when booking :)

5. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

ive done this now 3 times and just love every part of that coast in tassie , for any one who is thinking of going to tasmania its an absolute must do .

6. puttputtputt

puttputtputt New Member

Heh, will do Paul. It'd be a good business, there are some great private beaches to examine via paddling. I borrowed some boats off my old coach a few years ago and went for an excursion around the bay, it was a great experience. I think that was with an ex as well..jinx!

7. Shifter

Shifter New Member

God's little acre in Paradise!!!