1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blocking off heat risers ?

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Marksy, May 2, 2019.

1. Marksy

Marksy Member

Hi All
    Just wondering Kate has no heater, so I need to block off heat risers, last owner used a Jim beam can for the round one and foil with cable tie for the oval one (looked raggy as) so was hoping someone had a better idea of what to do.
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Lots of questions to ask here

Heat risers refers to the inlet manifold on a type 1.
    Gather you are more talking the heater tubes coming off the shroud?

I am going to assume you have a type 1 upright motor?

Do you have heater boxes?

If no - then you cal block off at the shroud

If yes - you need to put the hoses back on.
    Otherwise heat builds up in the heater boxes and radiated onto the motor when you stop.
    You need to wash the heat away as you drive

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Photo would help :rolleyes:
    If a type 2/4 engine of 1700-1800-2000 litre then the lhs is circular and rhs is oval looking into the engine bay ie front of the engine.
    Does it have the heat exchangers?
    No heater could mean no exchangers or no fan to blow the air down through the heat exchangers up through the tubes so need a clearer picture of what is there ;)

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  4. Marksy

Marksy Member

Sorry for the lack of info , it’s type 4 engine 1800 , they’re the ones nearest to boot lid circle on left and oval on right, there’s no fan or heat exchangers hopefully photo works
    Thanks

D8032917-B866-46CE-A0B0-50AC316F054B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2019
    Aspudis and Mr Beckstar like this.
  5. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

quite often those black risers are removed and then the heat exhangers have caps on them.
    then you also seal off the hole in the tinware...or get tinware off an engine that didn't have the auxiliary fan in the engine compartment (that's the neatest way for the engine compartment).

but what about the other end of your heat exchangers? (towards the front of the van)...do you have risers for there - they are the ones you need if you want a heater - and probably a good idea to get the heat up where vw intended even if you don't connect up to the interior - just not sure what having open ends on the front of the heat exchangers down low would do

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  6. Marksy

Marksy Member

Hi tintop , there’s nothing at the front of them , no risers just open , all the other hoses for heat are there towards cab but nothing where the cables would connect to ?? In the photo you can see the front of them , so there’s nothing between that and the hoses that go to cab , hopefully that helps ??

941AB6CE-318C-41A7-AD36-EC25560392A3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2019
    Mr Beckstar likes this.
  7. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

on the front there's usually risers and control pods - when the flap is open on the control pod it goes through a flexible hose to the van...when the flap is closed on the control pod the heat goes out of the cap at the back (up high).

some thoughts (no facts)... what happens to the heat without these risers? - it would come out the front of the heat exchangers with the force of the fan but it would be working against the air from the van moving forward...if that force was stronger than the force of the fan you would be pushing heat into the engine compartment...if the fan is stronger then the heat might sit under the head longer or would blow back along the rocker cover...in any case not how VW designed

i would a least try to get hold of a set of risers and pods even if you don't connect the heat up to the van (to get the heat up as per design)

IMG_20190502_204910.jpg

or the flexible hoses as well to connect up the heater
    IMG_20190502_204636.jpg

Mr Beckstar, David H and Wayne murray like this.
  8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hey Marksy,
    The heater can actually work as a heater;) if all the bits are in the right place:D.
    Cheers

Wayne murray, Mr Beckstar and Mordred like this.
  9. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

There is an air feed from the main fan at the other end that pushes air through to the pods at the front to help cool the exhaust box and and lower the temp of the exhaust manifolds.
    The risers you are blocking off in the engine bay are for the booster fan to add air flow when engine revs are low(sitting in traffic in winter and you want some warmth). At the very least you want the pods and make sure the main fan ducting is fitted so the system works as designed. Less heat will mean longer life.

Adrian

Wayne murray, Mr Beckstar and David H like this.
  10. Marksy

Marksy Member

Cheers guys it all makes sense, would like to look into getting the heater connected, will have to put out the feelers here in the west and see if I can get what I need ( tintops top photo ) everything else is there just no booster fan which probably isn’t that big of a deal,
    Thanks

David H and Mr Beckstar like this.
  11. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Is that your heat exchanger? If so, it looks like you’ve cleaned it up and repainted which is good. Is the inside where the air flows clean too? If there’s been any oil leakage or other contaminant into the inside of the heat exchanger then you’ll smell that in the cab if you connect up the heater pipes. Also, if you have an exhaust leak inside the exchanger (unlikely but possible) then that could go to the cabin too and that’s dangerous for occupants. If the condition of the finned internal part is good then you should be fine.

I know this because when I first bought Harry and drove up my first hill I thought there was a fire behind the dash because smoke started pouring out. It turned out oil had leaked into a heat exchanger and was smoking and going through the heater ducts. That was a relief, although I didn’t work out what was happening until after I’d literally ripped out my original cardboard glove box liner trying to find the source of the fire.

Wayne murray, David H and KahunaKombi like this.
  12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

:D
    Major panic .

I have had a exhaust pipe disentegrate inside a heater box.
    Confusing at first as you hear the leak but it's louder inside cab than outside.
    Does burn the eyes.
    There's a couple of small holes on the underside of heater box and one can feel the pulse of air come out as that cyl fires.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    David H and Mr Beckstar like this.
  13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

And if you have put a new heavy coat of paint on heater box s don't panic when it stinks as it burns off :eek:

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  14. KahunaKombi

The booster fans are not that easy to get hold of :rolleyes:

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  15. KahunaKombi

16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Search bilge blowers.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  17. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Depending what parts you are chasing I have an engine bay fan and possibly the relay and mounting bracket, the kopex tubing hoses are best purchased new as used ones are usually fairly fragile and fall apart whilst trying to fit them. I also have one of the heater cables and connector if needed.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  18. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

yeah, I've quite happily driven Kombis with and without the booster fan ... like you say, no big deal without one

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  19. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

......and for some rego. inspections, you must have a working demister.....that requires a heater.
    If it was me, I’d be getting it all back to what it was designed to be in the first place......complete.
    Cheers,
    Mark

deger, grumble, Mr Beckstar and 3 others like this.