1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue Mountains

Discussion in 'NSW' started by Kermit, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Kermit

Kermit Member

Anyone have any top spots in the Blue Mountain Megalong Valley area - Kombi accessible of course! Nice bit of bush?

Kermit

2. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Hey Kermit

If your going to the Megalong Valley the Megalong Valley Tea House is worth a stop - the scones are fantastic, the service was a little slow because they cook the scones while you wait, but it is worth the wait. A little further along the road is horse riding if your into that.

Jenolan Caves is worth a visit even if you don't go into any of the caves. If you intend to do a cave be sure to book as the good ones book out, we just did Orient Cave and it's well worth it.

Zig Zag railway is worth checking out - you can take on ride on a steam train.

A little be further on than Katoomba, Megalong Valley and Zig Zag is Lithgow, if you want to get of the main road then the Glow Worm tunnel is a great place to visit, the road is dirt so I wouldn't travel on it after rain - it's also free.

Lake Lyle is one of our favourite places and we often go there for day, you can swim in the lake, fish and just relax - here we are at the Lake http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?p=104666&highlight=Lake Lyle#post104666

Tarana Pub is also a favourite spot of ours and worth a visit.

The information centre at Lithgow will give you directions to the Glow Worm tunnel, Lake Lyle and Tarana Pub.

Hope that helps - when are you travelling to Katoomba & Megalong Vally?

Rev.

3. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

4. Kermit

Kermit Member

Thanks Guys!

Heading up for the last weekend in Jan. Showed the Boss the pic of the cat and she is not so keen :) now. We need to stay close to Blackheath as herself wants to do a trail run taking place at 7am on the Sunday Morning. I love the pics of Lake Lyall Rev, especially the Jacobs Creek and berries shot! very artistic. Looks a bit far from Blackheath unfortunately.

So Im still looking for that perfect camp. (new requirement - no cats :D )

5. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Lithgow is 30km from Blackheath, not sure what camping spots there are in Blackheath, but Lake Lyle is worth staying at.

6. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

Ian you have just planned my next holiday this one has been on the books for quite some time and i will be hitting the road come early march .

7. OberonViking

OberonViking Well-Known Member

On the way back from Janolen Caves come back through Oberon to be underwhelmed by the Big Trout. I'll post a photo of it, just as soon as I have a registered kombi to park in front of it.

8. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Clad to be of assistance - be sure to look us up.

Rev.

9. OberonViking

OberonViking Well-Known Member

:( the Rev. is now some kind of outer veneer for potential holiday makers? :umm:

10. ttmck

whats the name of that town thats a ghost town now in that region for life of me i just cant remember the name

11. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Do you mean Newnes? That's worth a visit as well.

Rev.

12. ttmck

Thats it mate . i will spend a bit of time camping over that neck of the woods ive heard so many good things about this area i thought it was high time i ventured over , i want to catch up with some kc members as well in nsw

Where would you recomend a good base camp to use that can then take in alot of that area

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  13. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Well in my opinion Lithgow is quite central, 40k's to katoomba, 55 to Jenolan caves and Bathurst, 50 to Oberon, Newens is about 20km. From lithgow you can head to Dubbo and spend a day or two at the zoo.

You stay at the caravan park which is right accross the road from
    us, less facilities but better camping can be found at lake lyle or free camping can be found along the fish river which is about 30k's out of town towards Tarana which has one of the best pubs I have been to.

Lithgow also has the second largest canyon in the world. Another place we like to go is Dun Swamp which is about 1.5 hours out of lithgow - it's very peacful plus it's the focus of a few UFO sittings :)

Hope that helps

Rev.

14. ttmck

Brilliant work ! cant wait to hit the road

15. 1975 Westfalia

1975 Westfalia Member

Jenolan Caves are like no other...

Jenolan Caves are spectacular, and the road down there scares me to the white knuckles. My hubby was not enthused when I mentioned 'caves', but he was blown away by them. We arrived at night time, when the entrance to the little place is lit up in a spectacular fashion, and parked in the car park overnight :eek: It was freezing in August, so hot water bottles were a must. While it was still open we had a drink in a bar just to keep warm.

The next morning the car park attendant didn't charge us for the days parking "because we had arrived before he did". :lol:

16. Kermit

Kermit Member

going Up the Hills

Hey Rev,

How does Shirl take the big hills? Bit worried about that long run up from Penrith. (Kermit has a 2l manual motor in a 1978 camper)

17. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Shirl kills them without any trouble at all, she is an 1800 with slightly larger rings and pistons which = something like 1855cc. Before I had the engine done I was running on 2.5 cylinders and still managed to climb the hills, it was really really slow (10km - 20km) but she made it. Now I go over the hills in 60km (the speed limit) without any problems. Take it easy and I am sure you will be fine.

Rev.

18. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Two French hikers are missing, after setting off on Wednesday to walk the 46 kms from Katoomba to the Jenolan Caves....

http://news.theage.com.au/national/french-hikers-missing-west-of-sydney-20090110-7dxr.html

Might be easier to drive it, I think....

I visited Katoomba many years ago (and stayed in the caravan park), there are some beautiful walks in the area, and some great geology.... I can't remember, though, if I visited the Jenolan Caves ...

19. Zozo

Zozo Member

We just stayed at Lake Lyle 2 nights ago, was quite a nice spot to stay and the Zig Zag was very cool!

20. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

I tawt i taw a putty tat.....;)