1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Board Racks on a Pop-top.

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by 65busser, Nov 19, 2011.

1. 65busser

65busser Member

We have a customer who wants to put board racks on his Camper. The racks would need to attach to the pop-top cap. Anyone done this or have pics of a Camper with surf board racks?
    Cheers
    Brad

2. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

Hey Brad,

hope these pics helps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cheers

justin in ballarat

this was actually part of the poptop i was going to remove and fix when we repair the poptop

3. Rossco WA

Rossco WA Member

I've got Rola racks on mine, just screwed to the roof, stainless fittings, look good, work good.

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Gotta pic Rossco ?

5. milly

milly Well-Known Member

Ditto Rossco, like oldman said, can you post some pic's very interested in rola's for milly.

6. 79_micro_bus

79_micro_bus Member

Not enought room in the van for this bloke Brad ?

7. Rossco WA

Rossco WA Member

Here ya go, only they are Rhino Sportz, not Rola, much the same, was thinking of the wife's car on the Rola.
    Pretty sure these are good for 80kgs each, just screwed through the roof with a larger stainless washer on the inside to spread the load over the underside of the GRP roof, so no cracking etc. Can't show photo inside as roof liner covers it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  8. HunchyHillBilly

HunchyHillBilly Member

If you are going to fit the racks then I would suggest that the 30+ year old glass be reinforced with additional fibreglass to spread the load.

You don't want them coming back in 3 months with stress fractures in the glass and expecting you to fix it cause you fitted them.

I've seen people tying surf skis to roof racks and then driving down the highway, the wind force could pull fixings through the old glass and the whole lot get airborne.

Cheers.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  9. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

That's a tidy set-up Rossco :cool: Forces on board racks are - generally - in a downward direction as a result of the rocker in the 'board facing forward. The increased area of those Rhino's base would help resist any "puncture" action that might otherwise occur if straight out bolts were used to mount the racks. I can't see there being an issue with the fibreglass' integrity unless it is obviously dry,cracked & in a weakened state to start with. Only issue could possibly be if you were planning on doing 130 kph for 6hrs straight. The airflow pushing over the windscreen & up & under the 'boards would almost negate the downward pressure, in my opinion.
    I've carried 'boards all my life on all sorts of racks, including the webbing, temporary ones. They were attached to a tinny hire car for a run down to Margaret River last Christmas & caused no noticeable downward or upward pressures while driving.

Just my thoughts..... Cheers, Mark

10. HunchyHillBilly

HunchyHillBilly Member

oldman, light loads or small surface areas probably won't be an issue especially when anchored to metal, the popup roofs were never designed to have roof racks attached.

All I'm saying is that fibreglass fatigues with age and lets go quickly when fatigued/cracked I know this because I was in the boat repair and board manufacturing industry.

Sure you'll probably be right but a little reinforcing before hand could save a lot of grief later.

11. 65busser

65busser Member

Appreciate all the info guys. Hadn't thought about potential force of air at speed. Those are nice Rossco. Thing is we're not removing the cap headlining so we need to secure from the sides.
    Rhino do a canopy mounting so we can mount on the side of the cap. Like yours Justin but a bit more modern perhaps.
    They insist on fitting them so I reckon I'll take them up on that and they can handle any issues.
    Good point Matt but he wants to carry the kids inside and the boards on top .... or was it the other way round? Not sure.
    Thanks again guys. Issue just about solved. Gotta love KC.
    Cheers
    Brad
    Thanks for the pics too

12. LOMBI

LOMBI Member

Lombi uses the gutter mount type

You can get the gutter bracket which attaches to the fiberglass

The mounting has quite a large reinforcement strip on the back of the fiberglass

You will see a lot of tradies use this type of bracket to mount racks on to their fiberglass ute canopies

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011