1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Disk Rubbing - Advice on Driving on it.

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by 68BUS, Dec 4, 2021.

1. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Hey folks,

I have noticed a new noise lately. When slowing down to stop or general low level speed I can hear what sounds like a pebble bouncing around in the front left wheels hubcap.

I have taken the hubcap off a couple of times and checked, and today I took all four hubcaps off and also took the front left wheel off to have a look what the noise is.

Whilst not the exact same sound, the brake disk is rubbing on the rear brake pad on the same wheel.
    I am assuming that it is too coincidental to not be the same noise, perhaps sounding different under load and braking.

My questions are;

1- If it is just the brake disk rubbing, other than annoyance can I drive it safely until I can get to the mechanic and afford to have the brake disks machined / brakes adjusted?

2- Is there something else that sounds like a pebble rolling about that I need to be more concerned with in the front end that may be making the different noise on the road but I cannot replicate in on a jack? I was worried there was a bearing somewhere in there that might be failing which may render us useless on the road and do more damage to surrounding areas.

To assist I have a youtube video of the noise when rolling the tyre whilst on jacks. And a couple of photos of the front end. It is a 1968 beam with bay disk brakes from an unknown to me year.

Thank you in advance.

Evie Disk Brake.jpg Evie Front End.jpg

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

That doesn’t sound healthy.

I doubt it, but have you checked play in the wheel bearing?

I’m guessing the pad has worn away and you are merat on metal.

When were the brakes last done.
    if not set up properly between front and rears you can chew through a set of discs in no time.

I wouldn’t be driving it.

oldman likes this.
  3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Brad, is there any sign of scoring on the rotor/s ?
    I picked up a small rock in the rear brakes of my bus….totally destroyed the shoes and scored the drum beyond salvage.
    I know you are running discs all ‘round but worth a check anyway.
    That noise doesn’t sound good….could also be a bearing collapsing. Easy enough to check now that you have the front wheel/s off…..they usually start as a low grumbling and get progressively worse…..well, that was the case on mine.
    Front near side was shot due to water ingress via the speedo cable in the car of the hub assembly.
    Have you been through water in the last couple of months….?
    Not what you need.
    Cheers,
    Mark

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Hi Brad.
    I tend to agree with above.
    Bearings can act differently when not under load.
    Not difficult to pull offending bearings out to check.
    Also check adjustment of bearings . Although they are meant to have a minute amount of play to prevent damage, if they are too loose they may allow disc too much play within calliper.
    The brake pads should pull back slightly when not applied so check each one for this.
    May need a rebuild on callipers?

Certainly would not be doing a long trip untill it's sorted.

oldman likes this.
  5. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Coop thanks folks. I will get it into my mechanics pre Christmas and I do not have the time or inclination to learn bearings in next couple of weeks
    No obvious scoring in the brake disk. If I look over the top I can see the disk wobble on each rotation to catch, only 1/4 mm but enough.

Sounds like a quick trip to the xmas markets a suburb away tomorrow will be okay though. I need the extra seats.

Cheers all.

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yeah local should be fine.

68BUS likes this.
  7. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Funny old cars.
    I drove Evie to a xmas party last night. And through poor timing, we ended up driving through yesterday's, very healthy storm.
    First thing I noticed was I forgot just how much the front leaks, might need to refresh my 6 year old rubbers.
    And secondly, this morning for the market run I could not hear the original sound, so maybe it was just some grit stuck in somewhere.
    I will keep and ear out on the next few drives.

8. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

At least you have an ear for the out of ordinary, Brad…..
    Lots of kombis are driven to destruction ‘cause their owners don’t recognise the tell tale signs that something is amiss….
    It’s a learned skill that comes with many miles under your belt ;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

9. Ted2

Ted2 Active Member

Hey Brad. I run the same front end setup as you in my splitty and had a similar issue. I had a rubbing/squeaky sound from the disc brake setup (new calipers, pads & rotors). Despite the rotors being brand new, I got the rotors machined which reduced the noise to some extent. Eventually the noise returned. In the end I swapped out the rotors from a better quality manufacturer and matched the pads (ATE from memory) which solved the issue. It was a lesson to self not to buy cheap rotors as I believe they warped after driving in the rain. Cheers John

ps it looks like you're running a late bay disc brake setup (5x112 PCD), so replacement parts would be late bay.

68BUS likes this.
  10. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Cool. Thank you everyone.
    Ted,
    I will check out the ATE pads for the next change.