1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake light switch

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by melissa, Sep 14, 2019.

1. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Just got Spotty back but no brake lights - found this had come off - but there is no way that it will reach to go back on - should it be on there? Its a 3 pin.
    brake switch 1.jpg brake switch 2.jpg brake switch 3.jpg

2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You have two switches,have the connections been swapped around?

3. melissa

No I don't think so because that wiring is even shorter and doesn't look like it has been touched..

4. Wayne murray

Have you tried getting it on,as the switch looks like it has had been on.Does your brake light work?
    I don't know where a rhd master cylinder switches should be but on my cars the switches and hoses are on the other side of each other. I'm sure mine has been changed can't remember which way it was.
    IMG_20190914_112550.jpg IMG_20190914_112601.jpg

5. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Disconnect the other one & try putting the one that was off, back on first and pay attention to routing the wires in the most direct way.

6. melissa

After lots of swearing we got it plugged back in but still no brake lights. I have checked the bulbs - they are good - I still have tail lights but no brake lights. o_O

7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

With all the mucking around it may have blown the fuse.
    Hopefully not broken a wire.

Time to beak out the multimeter

8. Wayne murray

The one or both of the switches it self may be stuffed, you may have to test the switches.
    o_O

I don't believe youo_O about the swearing ;)but after you test the brake switch by the Bentley you may be swearing at me.:eek: :DBentley how to test the switches.
    IMG_20190915_120428.jpg

TeeBee and Grantus like this.
  9. melissa

I checked the fuse - I even changed it just in case but that didn't help. I would not know what to do with a multi meter

10. melissa

Thanks Wayne - will have to try that.

11. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Hi Melissa,

being a split system, either one of the two switches should activate the lights. you may have been running on just one of the switches and now that may have died. considering you aren't confident checking for power at the switch with a multimeter, i'd just screw two new switches in...

some people run with one switch and the second one is just a 'plug' - usually because the hand brake cable can interfere with the second switch or 'saw' through the wiring (if it's on that side of the master cylinder)

if you are quick you shouldn't drop much brake fluid

as an aside - once after a complete rebuild, i had an air bubble at a switch and didn't get brake lights (i backed the switch out a bit and let the fluid/air bleed through)...i don't think this is your current problem unless you've had it dry and i don't think it will happen if you screw new switches into a wet cylinder.

Patrick

Wayne murray and Grantus like this.
  12. melissa

Thanks Patrick - the motor has been out twice since Easter. When I unplugged the shorter one yesterday so I could plug in the longer one that I found hanging - which started this thread - the brake lights still didn't work so I actually did do the Bentley check without realising - didn't I?

13. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

yes...that is a check for the switches which assumes power is getting to the switch

14. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

If you connect the black and black and red wires from one of the switches together and turn on the ignition you should have brake lights. If not it isn't the switches that are the problem. If they do work, swap both switches out and be prepared for one of the new ones not to work as I have seen a few new ones that aren't good either. Fact of life and new parts I suppose. At any rate you really need to know they are working first.

If they dont work you need to check the earths next to the lights at the back are clean, they are just spade connectors and get corrosion and also loosen up over time. Just in board of the lights inside the engine bay.

Easier with a multimeter or a test light but a start if you dont have them or arent confident using them.

Adrian

syncro likes this.
  15. melissa

I did check the earths at the back tail lights - have a new switch on order.

Mordred and David H like this.