1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake proportioning valve

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by Marksy, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Marksy

Marksy Member

Hi All
    Needing to replace brake proportioning valve on my 77 bay, have finally sourced one and was wondering if when I take the old one off do I need to put brake fluid in new one or will it all just fill up when brakes are flushed and bled, first time for me so any and all help will be greatly appreciated, cheers

2. Old Dubber

Old Dubber Active Member

It will just fill up when you bleed the brakes.

3. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

If it's the valve after the master cylinder on the chassis then you might want to read the manual.
    It basically says to unbolt the valve and tilt it before bleeding to get all the air out.

David H and oldman like this.
  4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Anyone got one of these spare? As well as a master cylinder?
    Hey @Marksy where did you get the valve?
    Cheers

5. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

What is wrong with the brake regulator that you have,as there isn't much inside one to go wrong,except the lack of changing brake fluid over the years and build up of gunk inside the unit stops it from working correctly. As mentioned above :rolleyes:where did you get one as they are NLA(no longer available) as far as I know:oops:.
    @rstucke what book mentions to tilt it?. As I'm not far away from bleeding my system. My books doesn't mention to tilt the system unless you are testing the device.
    I have the earlier brake regulator which also has the bleeder value at the top near the exit point on the regulator. The other brake regulator doesn't have the brake bleeder which would make sense that you may have to tilt it to make it work which would then expel any remaining air out of the unit. Just making sure I'm not missing something.

David H likes this.
  6. Marksy

Marksy Member

Hi All, cheers for the advice, David I got it from a guy in Freo who does heaps of fabricating, he got it off a donar bus , to me the one that’s on mine seems fine as in it doesn’t lock up or anything like that , I only got because when I got the bus checked over by the VW shop in Freo it was one of the things on the list they recommended changing ? They don’t open until the 20th so I’m planning on taking it down there so they can go through all the brake system if it turns out I don’t need it I’ll let you know Dave and save it for you.

David H likes this.
  7. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

You got me @Wayne murray .
    Dim recollection on my part.
    When I replaced the braking system on Blitz I disassembled, cleaned and re-assembled, then tested the regulator valve. I bled it in the tilted position and that's the bit I remembered apart from the manual description on testing.
    False info sorry.
    The manual definitely (I just had a look) states to bleed in the assembled position.
    I'll pull my head in now.