1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake servo leak..

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by Ian and Shelley, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Ian and Shelley

Ian and Shelley Active Member

Hi...

I have a brake fluid leak from the booster or servo.....where it joins the master cylinder

Is this leak repairable or is a new booster required

Is there a leaky gasket I can replace .?

Thanks again

rps20210115_190426.jpg rps20210115_190338.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2021
  2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

There is a gasket between the master cylinder and the brake booster, that is to seal the booster. You shouldn't be getting brake fluid leaking from their. You have an old or original master cylinder (with the little hole) Need to replace master cylinder.
    The seals that are in the end of the master cylinder shaft that pushes the brake booster are leaking.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    KahunaKombi and tintop like this.
  3. Ian and Shelley

Thanks Wayne

Time to purchase a compete new kit

Appreciate your help

4. Ian and Shelley

Hi Wayne

VW Heritage have a complete Servo and Master Cylinder complete set for sale..

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com...ervo-with-master-cylinder-brazilian-spec.html

Bit confused by the description...
    This unit has three outlets to brakes, two front one rear.
    Can you confirm for me the current master cylinder is SAME ..3 outlets, 2 front and 1 rear?

Brake Servo with Master Cylinder Brazilian Spec
    211-612-103/G/C
    (2 Reviews)
    Brake servo with the master cylinder fitted.
    This unit has three outlets to brakes, two front one rear.
    Mounting studs are 89mm x 55mm apart. 12mm internal diameter servo hose required. 85mm apart lower reservoir required (fitted to all servo equipped bays)

Thanks

Ian

5. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Hi Ian, On different Kombis I've had there has always been some 'adapting' to do when I've put on another master cylinder or servo....the servo mounting studs may be spaced differently (elongate holes or make an adaptor if necessary) and the brake line and brake light switch positions on the master cylinder might be different (gently re-route brake lines if necessary or get brake place to make shiny new ones - keeping distance from handbrake cable). There's also blanking plugs if you have more outlets than pipes. It's all possible and looks like a good price. Patrick

Wayne murray and Barry like this.
  6. Wayne murray

You may not need a new booster!
    You know how your brakes work best!
    Test the booster (make it easier if the car has already been started) while the car is not running, pump the brake peddle and it should go firmer (hard) while foot still on pedal ,start the car, The pedal should go down when car has been started
    If it does the booster is fine, if it doesn't go down when car is started the booster is buggered.
    As mentioned by tintop:rolleyes: some new boosters have a different mounting bolt location which will need to be addressed on assembly, which makes it a little more time consuming to do
    Just check your booster mounting bolt spacings ,if you don't want to under take that extra job.
    tintop is spot on with the master cylinder as well, as there used to be RHD and LHD master cylinders ,but RHD are pretty much no longer available. So LHD units are your only option and re-rooting your solid brake lines to make it all work.
    You do have to re bleed the brake system with brake fluid when you replace your master cylinder but you would already know that.;):) Don't want to cause more issues but it may be worth checking rubber brake lines as well.
    You may only have to order once (postage costs) and minimises the amount of times you have to bleed the system hopefully.:D
    all the best Wayne

7. Ian and Shelley

Thank you Gentleman

I will pull out the booster and master cylinder this afternoon and see what we have..
    The booster looks pretty shabby and rusty so will probably replace the whole lot and give the Kombi a treat..

Thanks again

8. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

FYI we recently bought and fitted that exact m/c & servo combo to a customers car and were very happy with it. The price was great (spend an extra $5+ and get free shipping) and wasn't hard to tweak the brake line to fit it :cool:

Wayne murray, tintop, Barry and 2 others like this.
  9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Parts @ Mick Motors, Northgate Qld - https://www.mickmotors.com.au/category-brake-hydraulics-52.aspx

Sometimes by disturbing a part by removing it and replacing it, it may decide to give up the ghost ..... you're dealing/playing with what is going to help make you stop SO for peace of mind if it were me I'd go for a new booster and master and hang the expense ;)

10. Ian and Shelley

Hi....thanks for the info..
    Replacement parts arrived yesterday and hoping to install today..

The new parts have an additional metal plate with numerous drilled holes......does this plate stay in place and become secured between mounting bracket and booster ?

Thanks

11. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Extra metal plate could in fact be an adaptor plate for a different year/model if the booster is specified for a variety of years/models :rolleyes: ..... any instructions provided/included - if none then only way is to check by offering up the booster and see if the holes line up and if not then try the adaptor plate OR if plate is attached offer it up first and see if it fits ;)

12. Wayne murray

Booster you have came off Brazilian kombi, I'm not sure what the plate be used for either a adaptor plate ,or a template to where the new holes have to be. If you use the plate as an adaptor plate does the fixings from the old plate interfere with the holes for the new booster to fit.
    You can set it up to see, best bet if gazman answer your question as he has already fitted one.

13. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

That bus I mentioned was a euro import (RH slider) and originally had non-assisted brakes - I forgot all about it :oops: but it had one of those JK style servo brackets welded on with the diagonal slotted holes, so the new booster bolted straight on.
    If your new booster doesn't match your existing bolt pattern you might have to use that plate as a template and drill some new holes. I have also done this before to fit a commodore booster, wasn't too hard but the bolt holes for that one were right on the edge of the plate so we reinforced it with some flat bar-
    P1200199.JPG

Sorry, I certainly would have mentioned any bolt up issues but I completely forgot it had that weld-on adapter (we need a facepalm emoji...) . Keep us posted on how it fits, I'll offer all the help & advice I can!