1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

breaking caravelles

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by volkswagenbug1977, Aug 11, 2009.

1. volkswagenbug1977

volkswagenbug1977 Member

Hi,

I dont know if this is the right forum to ask, I have a 82 aircooled caravelle fuel injected auto, which I want to keep for as long. I just dont know why people are breaking up decent looking caravelles. Is it because parts dont come along easy? or ist it because having and maintaining one is too expensive? As what I'm experiencing now, since my van's engine is being re conditioned.

Is it because once the fuel injection(electronic) fails, there is no parts available...or even the auto trans is also very scarce to search?
    Thanks!

2. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

We are doing a 98 caravelle auto gear box at the moment and we are getting no change out of $5,000. So maybe the older cars are cheaper to repair thats why people dont keep these ones?

3. Low Rida

Low Rida Member

When you have one as I have breaking and the gearbox and engine are either being used on another project or not working, the rest of the van might as well be used for parts.
    My one also has front end damage. I bought it to restore but another identical one came along with a Suburu Turbo engine and it worked out cheaper to buy this one rather than restore the damaged one. I can't believe how expensive the VW engines and gearbox's are in Aus for the T3.
    Anyway the one I am breaking will be resurrected into something a little different and I guarantee it won't go un noticed at its debut next year at the Nationals!:umm:

4. volkswagenbug1977

volkswagenbug1977 Member

Yeah your definitely right, to have vw engines reconditioned...it will cost you a leg and an arm...with the price I'm paying for reconditioning my aircooled engine...I could buy a decent not so worn out european car...
    but liking these VWs has been me...im afflicted with this sickness since my youthful days...other people are attracted to other worldly things...but me...i have my eye on my vw...hahaha

5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

With a little less than 4,500 T3's ever sold in Aus, in the 12 years of T3 between 1980 and 1992, the main issue is that it's just not attractive for people to stock parts, on the off chance that a T3 owner will come to them to buy stuff. :eek:

So there's no chance of ever getting enough "demand" to warrant a "mass production" (and cheaper shelf price), of any of the bits required.

It's a battle...... but I keep persisting... :wtf:

6. jerrys_bus

jerrys_bus Active Member

dose this make them one of the rarer kombi's then?

and there fore my aircoolled one even more so :D

7. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Yes Chris - the aircooled T3 is of fewer numbers than the watercooled - we only had them for 2 years.

8. Grantus

Well according to the figures in the link, 673 aircooled sold prior to the wasserboxter, and 262 total, sold the year the 1.9 watercooled was introduced, so how many of that 262, were old aircooled stock , and how many were newbies, is not defined... :rolleyes:

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=18049

9. Grantus

1980 to 1984 was the aircooled period.... late 1984 was the first watercooled..!

your maths is up there! :lol:

10. melissa

Sorry, long day... although I am yet to see any here from before 82 (off the top of my head)

11. melissa

Aah..now looking back at that link, there was 59 sold in 81. So really we only had them for 3 years.

12. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

If that's the case mine must have been the first! Purchased August '84 1.9l WBX Caravelle CL. :)

I do have a copy of the May '84 Wheels write up showing a NSW registered GL 1.9 although that may have been a pre-shipment for evaluation ?

13. DunnoDub

DunnoDub Member

It is interesting to look at the sales on the 'Go Westy' site and see what they are charging for their 'revamped' Vanagons - upwards of $30 000US!! But even then they still have me tempted...:lol:

jon

14. Sunset Garage

Sunset Garage Active Member

The 'Go Westy' site really highlights just how popular T3 Westfalia's are in the U.S. They pay big money for good DC's as well, cos they were never for sale there. The UK is similar with very good T3's selling for a lot more than we are willing to pay over here.

I just bought an 87 Caravelle just for the armrest seats, tacho and a spare auto gearbox. There is no rust in the body and it looks very straight, but as not many people are interested in them, they go for peanuts! The laws of supply and demand, I can remember when lowlights were cheap because they weren't splits... Now look at the price of an early bay microbus!

I doubt T3's will ever reach the popularity of their earlier cousins, but I can guarantee they will become rarer if the prices keep dropping. UK importers will be all over these models like a rash (if they haven't already copped on) just like they did when splits were cheap here, and then just like they did when bays were cheap here. Compared to their ones...Hardly any, if next to no rust, and RHD to boot! Better start snapping them up now before they are as rare as a split with no rust in the original nose!

15. melissa

This is exactly why I spent the money and restored my Banana Sundae. It had a very small amount of rust, a near perfect interior and a blown motor. It ended up so good that I didn't want to take it camping or anywhere it was going to get roughed up.

Scott's T3 is a personal import from the UK - it has twin slider doors. Unfortunately it came with UK standard rust but we will tackle that eventually. It also has a motor thats different to other watercooled 85 models where it still has carbies instead of fuel injected.

16. bay76

bay76 Member

There has been two aircooled 82's on ebay in the last few months, both in Brisbane the last one sold for under a grand.
    Both looked to good to wreck? But I was looking for that reason for parts only.
    Also we are running an aircooled 82 with scat carby's, no more electronic fuel injection back to basics.

17. volkswagenbug1977

volkswagenbug1977 Member

How did you put scat's carbies on? Wouldn't they stick out of the engine compartment? since the efi are flat and the carbies are a bit taller? Thanks!

18. bay76

bay76 Member

Sorry my mistake Webber carby's with low profile air cleaners made for type 3, they just fit.

19. kombi kountry

kombi kountry New Member