1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Briefly, my 5 Beetles………

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GW2200, Dec 3, 2021.

1. GW2200

GW2200 Active Member

1972 - 1978:-

VW Beetle no.1: painted it burnt orange with house paint. In Flinders Ranges driving along stoney dirt ditch in rugged road, severely sharp, pulled exhaust muffler away from connecting pipes. Decibel level 747 Jumbo. Cut open spent soft drink cans, rolled them making tubes and twist wired around them to fit like extension exhaust pipes. Decibel level half 747 Jumbo. Left FR followed barely drivable dirt track somewhere around Woomera area to avoid attention (big noise). Beetle had a stroke (no compression) and died. Two days later burnt Beetle (something to do) and prepared for being no more. Smoke inadvertently attracted homestead man from afar; rescued.

VW Beetle no.2: had 1300cc engine. An inlet valve burnt out while approaching Onslow. Engine not happy. Found discarded red dirt encrusted 1200cc engine in ancient mechanic’s boneyard. Dropped engine using little hydraulic jack and Egyptian technology (doing impossible things with simple stuff and lateral thinking). Extracted inlet valve from it and put into no.2 Beetle. Got me to Darwin eventually that year and then died at traffic lights.

VW Beetle no. 3: bought it off mechanic in Paraburdoo where I worked in the mine. Was a bit battered but had big bore kit bringing 1300cc to 1800cc. Big power! Driving along just outside Surfer’s Paradise, picked up female hitch-hiker to drop her off at SP. Striking up a conversation, she said, “VW huh, they’re supposed to be really reliable.” Bang! Motor suddenly blew up. Let her out, later abandoned vehicle and became a hitch-hiker.

VW Beetle no.4: cannot remember engine size but body held together by paint and hope. Ambling along dirt road towards Elliston (SA) rear tyre was stabbed by a huge nail. Replaced the tyre with ancient scant pressured spare tyre which blew a short distance later. I continued driving and the tyre caught fire but I kept driving as Elliston was near and, I made it. Got out of Beetle, no people about (tiny town), then VW became engulfed and a few blokes appeared and offered me a beer. I said I did not drink, they then consoled me for that fact.

VW Beetle no.5: Ah heaven! Freshly married and wife had 1972 Superbug 1600cc (heaven refers to wife, of course) but Bug had oil gushing from flywheel housing and ran a bit rough. Pulled engine and rebuilt it - alas, about three months later Bug met unavoidable collision and Beetle history ends here.

And yet after five Beetles that have ‘passed’ I still love VWs (and my wife, of course).

2. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

time to buy a kombi i recon to continue the journey... cheers

3. GW2200

GW2200 Active Member

A few years later, I did. A 1979 green and white, fuel injected, 2 litre, T2 (8 seater) entered my VW life and I had it converted to a campervan by Trakka in 1982 . Company owner, Dave Berry (vale sadly) told me at gthe time it would be the last T2 converted as such by Trakka, because of the advent of the T3. We (madam wife and me) called it 'The Bus' because it had a BUS badge on the rear hatch door. The Bus travelled Australia extensively without any hiccups. Many years later sold it to a friend (good home) and bought a 1989 yellow T3 automatic Trakka campervan because we liked the larger interior and, we also called it The Bus; out of habit. Then years on we sold the T3 and bought a 1989 white T3 Trakka Syncro campervan because we (me really) wanted to explore more with minimal risk of getting stuck. And, to this day we also call it The Bus - so, the T2 still lives inside us, if only my name.

Syncro27 likes this.
  4. Jurgen Grossmutter

Jurgen Grossmutter Well-Known Member

I've had similar experiences but also had heaps of fun. There has never been a more fun production car than the Beetle.

5. GW2200

GW2200 Active Member

I agree. Truly a fundamental car with simplicity at its heart. The body shape, over-sized headlights (bug like) and that distinctive Boxer engine tat..tat..tat sound (even non VW people know that sound is a Beetle). Would love to own a nice one today, but that really would be an indulgence because I own a late model Golf and my beloved T3 Syncro campervan. Just an aside; I noticed your email is from thebusstop - I recently bought a pedal lock from there, very happy.

6. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

Bugger.... I was looking forward to an abbey road beetle story

Anyway it's still a good story