1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bringing back a rusty 63 splitty

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Learning, May 25, 2019.

1. Learning

Learning New Member

Hello - am new to forums generally so please go easy:)
    Bought a 63 Splitty because they are awesome, but also love the idea of bringing something back from the scrap heap. Have already been told all sorts of things i did not really want to hear about my 63. But am hoping to get some positive insight on how to best approach major,.. major rust repair, buying replacement panels that fit and where the best places are get parts. A future challange is where to get a new roof, but that's in the future. Working ground up, the first major challenge is to replace the floors, starting with the area above the engine. These parts do not seem to be available as replacement panels. (Justkampers, MickMotors...) Does anyone know where i can get this rear floor section? back tray.jpg

TeeBee and polland like this.
  2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club! :)

Major task ahead for you...... until you can enjoy the ride. ;)

Gerson panels from Columbia, tend to make make most split repair panels for all years.

Das Resto is the current importer and supplier.

http://dasrestoparts.com.au/

Syncro27, TeeBee and David H like this.
  3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Learning & welcome to the Kombi Club. Introduce yourself here https://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/new-members.1674/page-90. We were all new here once;).
    I can't help you with that bit of floor but I'm sure the crew here can:).
    Beaten by Grantus once more. Does this member not sleep;). Nationals in Sydney are an EARLY start if you live in Canberra;).
    Cheers with the resto. Can I have any left over dollars @Learning :p.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Poptop, Learning and Wayne murray like this.
  4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Hi Learning,Welcome to the KC,splittys aren't my territory but I would ring das resto http://dasrestoparts.com.au/ as Grantus beat me to it:rolleyes: . Speak to Steve to see what he can get for you in panels required,get the best panels you can afford,as they do normally fit better . You have a big task in front of you,take one bite at a time.:) Enjoy

TeeBee and David H like this.
  5. Grantus

How can you sleep when they are broadcasting the F1 qualifying live from Monaco, from 11pm? :rolleyes:

And yes, I’ve set the alarm for 4.45am.... ;)

6. Learning

Learning New Member

Thank you all for the very warm welcome and 'off the bat' great advice!... will be sure to contact Das Resto and talk to Steve.. let the hording begin:)

7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

8. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

welcome to the k.c.
    We love lots of pictures of progress an help if we can.
    You contact www.bmclassicAustralia.com.au in Melbourne on there on f.b. or phone 0434 271 667.
    they sell the complete roofs and other stuff you cant get off the others.
    they restore vw,s an porsches..
    Oh an for help, best look at lots of other peoples restos to get a idea of what your up for if your doing it yourself or thinking of taking a second mortgage on your house to pay some one else to rebuild it.
    cheeers

TeeBee, Learning and David H like this.
  9. Learning

Learning New Member

Thank you for the lead,.. the car culture down in Melbourne is thriving!

10. Grantus

Link doesn’t work.......:(

But this one does.....;)

https://bmclassicsaustralia.com.au/

11. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

12. Learning

Learning New Member

@77/kombi/surfer - Thanks for the re-link.. was very interested after the post,. so a quick google search did the trick,.. interestingly parts are supplied by quote rather than price list. Regardless,.. good lead, thank you:)

13. Learning

Learning New Member

While the rust in coming froth, in unexpected volume... (suspect it was parked in a greenhouse at 900% humidity for the past 20 years!?) ... unfortunately the whole body now has to come apart (literally).
    Which got me to thinking... to electric or not to electric... (will be in need of finding some of those spare dollars that David H is talking about:eek:),.. but will it be worth it? While the prospect of having something worth more than was put in, is always nice, am not looking to sell when done. So the question is, with the finished exterior look being be very close to stock, will a 15K electric conversion with 120k range make the car stay at market rate, be worth more or less?

Attached Files:

14. Ted2

Ted2 Member

Can't comment on electric v stock running gear, however there can be a significant lead time between ordering and receiving replacement panels. Budget on 6-9 months or possibly longer. New roof and other replacement metal will probably cost circa $15k-$20k. Bus will need to be media blasted (around $2k). If you're handy with a grinder and welder you will save on metalwork which could cost north of $30k if done by a resto shop. Bodywork and paint is easily another double digit $k expense. Running gear, depending on which way you go will cost $5k - $10k. Could be a lot more if you go for a high performance setup or electric. Then you have trim, chrome work, electrics etc. Inclusive of the cost of a bus a full blown outsourced resto will cost circa $100k these days. Your 63 with small window hatch is currently more desirable than > 64 buses, but not as desirable as ribbed bumper semaphore buses.

77/kombi/surfer likes this.
  15. Don 56

Don 56 New Member

How about a few more photos so we can see what you are in for.
    I am nearing the end of some major rust repairs on a 1960 kombi I bought about a year ago.

David H likes this.
  16. Grantus

And where are your progress photos? :rolleyes:

:p

Wayne murray likes this.
  17. Don 56

Don 56 New Member

I certainly have taken before and after photos.
    I just need to dig them up, buried somewhere in the computer.
    Maybe I will do that under a new post

polland and Grantus like this.
  18. Grantus

Sounds like a plan. :)

19. Learning

Learning New Member

before and after shots would be great,.. at this point i am only dreaming about after,. @Ted2, true words about the effort and cost of panels. @Grantus,.. major task all right:)... am now fully appreciating just how major!
    Have gone through the list of new panels needed to bring this 63 back, and the math just does not work:( ... onto plan B.
    Found a potential donor for my 63, but is is a 65. Definitely want to stay with the smaller back door, but aside from that, the donor was flooded with sump oil to slow/stop the rust years ago... is this a problem? Have heard that the oil smell is terrible and without de-greasing / washing (introducing potential for rust) it is very hard to get rid of?
    Shout to for plan B, if anyone knows of a dry 63 body with little rust,.. I have a chassis;)... please let me know.
    Here are some pictures of before and now... after is some time off,.. this will be a long ride. But must say,.. i have been surprised at every turn about how friendly the Kombi community is,.. makes it worth it, for yet another reason...:)
    kombi2crop.jpg IMG_2613.jpg IMG_2712.jpg