1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brissy to ACT in 3 weeks

Discussion in 'NSW' started by KanadaKombi, Oct 18, 2008.

1. KanadaKombi

KanadaKombi New Member

Hi all KC members,
    We are a family of three (1 expat, 1 canadian and 1 50/50 3 yr old) coming to Oz for a three month trip from dec to feb.
    We have an 84 Westie waiting for us in Murwullimbah that we bought over the net thanks to the great world wide web and the Kombi club. We are going to be picking it up from Kombigeezer (the seller) at the beginning of December and then heading south to make it to Canberra for xmas with the folks.
    We have travelled this road before (albeit without the little tacker in tow) and want some advice for avoiding potential spots that are notoriously overcrowded as we will be unfortunately travelling in peak holiday season.
    I have been reading the KC posts and they have been so informative and well attended that I thought this could well be the most useful advice I could get.
    We don't have too many concerns with bushwacking to out of the way areas so feel free to divulge any little secret locals spots - confidentiality is assured!!:)
    Thanks
    Jeremy

2. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Depends on which way you go. There are a few places around Bingara, Barraba etc if you run down inland. Weden Moutains just outside of Grenfel is great but could be crowded at Christmas/New Year. I have travelled pretty widely inland. Not so keen on the coast as it gets pretty crowded during the school holidays. At other times it can be magnificent.

3. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

I dont have any advice about your travels but just wanted to say welcome to Aus.
    My daughter married a Canadian and they live in Brantford an hour out of Toronto,its a beautiful country but way to cold for me.

4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Jeremy,

Best I can offer is a fridge full beer at the end! :)

Some here already know, that I'm not only unfamiliar with camping spots, even my knowledge of how camping / caravan parks even work, is still unclear! :lol:

Enjoy your travels, and we'll catch up at the other end.

5. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

Hi there and welcome,
    Depending on the date I would love to offer you the first nights stopover at our place in Nimbin, we are only 1hour from Murwillumbah down the back road. Nimbin is somewhere that every kombi owner should visit, it is the home of the Hippie and Kombi's everywhere.
    Our place is affectionately called 'camp Keen' by many KC members who have stayed here and if you are coming through on a weekend this could be another good excuse for the next get together of KC members:D

6. steek

steek Member

When you do get to sunny , sin-filled Canberra, I'm always keen to show visitors the only real pub in these here parts, yee-hahh! Ach-Put-Ting!

I 'm also what's loosely refered to as an ex-patriot, whatever that means.

Cheers,

Keith

7. KanadaKombi

KanadaKombi New Member

Hey y'all, thanks for all your input.
    We will be hoping to stay coastal as much as possible but will give thought to some inland forays.
    The cold in Canada is what we are hoping to avoid on a more permanent basis so hopefully more trips back home will be in the pipe in the future!!:)
    We would love to pop through and see Nimbin - I'll keep you posted when we get dates closer to finalised if that works for you.
    cheers
    Jeremy

8. hels

hels New Member

If you are going coastal - I would suggest a stop at Mollymook / Ulladulla - beautiful spot however may be crowded at xmas :rolleyes:

I have heard there is some free camping round there though so may be worth the research...

9. sprinter

sprinter Member

My folks are in Armidale - so if you did decide to go inland you could go out from there to Gunnedah, Coonabarabran, Dubbo, Parkes etc.

If you're staying coastal then you gotta stop at all the BIG things! So after Nimbin head to Ballina (prawn), Coffs (banana)....

10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

That's a good suggestion - then just turn right at Batemans Bay, and Canberra is just under 2 hours away.

11. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Even in School holidays, most places you can get into for a single night so if you are prepared to up camp every day (very painfull with kids - but they eventually get used to it) you should be OK.

Just grab a caravan park directory bring your mobile phone and ring ahead to the next planned stop - there are usually a few caravan parks in most larger towns but you may have to settle for the worst spot in the park wherever that may be.

Kids dont usually enjoy driving for more than a couple of hours anyway (well mine dont - are we there yet?, are we there yet? - even with an on board DVD player).

Good luck - you will definately enjoy - especially in a kombi.

Cheers,

Scott