1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brosol h30/31 carb leaking idle and power jets

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by saabman, May 19, 2015.

1. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

ok it's not quiet a kombi but it's on a 1600 tp

The brosol 30/31 has two jets on the side of the carby power and idle jets.

But these don't seem to seal well. I can blow air in through a drilling and bubbles come out through from around the thread.

Looking at the construction of the jet it's self it appears to have two sealing surfaces -
    1 on the face around the jet it's self and the second is a shoulder just before the start of the thread.

The problem is the carby it's self has now shoulder for the second surface to mate against which means the thread is the only place it can seal and it's a rather loose thread so no chance of the thread sealing.

I've read lots about the erratic opperation of the Brosol carbies and wondering if this sealing (lack thereof ) is the cause of the problem.

To rectify it I am considering using Teflon thread tape on the threads to get them to seal up.

I'm certainly no carby guru so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. Any comments or suggestions would be warmly received.

Also some technical documentation on these carbies would be great if some one has some they could share.

2. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

not sure, but i have a re bushed and re built 34pict-3 you can have for $50 if that helps you out? Will need air cut off jet probably have at work and have some spare idle and main jets that may help you out. was gonna out on my beetle but never got round to it.

3. saabman

Thanks Kai, I'll see how I go between now and the week end. If I can't get it right I'll take you up on your offer.

Thanks for your response to regarding the blinkers - the standard blinker globes and joining the two "active"wires together did the trick - the globes were some what of a tight squeeze in the housing for my fat fingers :)

4. saabman

I put thread tape on the jets threads - stopped the leaks but didn't help the running.

Fired up the 34pict 3 runs heaps better - idles immensely better but still dies in the arse when I open throttle from idle :(

I've got a permit to drive the thing around today so will hit the road and see how it performs in real life.

5. saabman

Taking it for a drive it was ok but not great. So I changed idle jets - worse changed accelerator pump setting no better so I stuck a timing light on it to see what was happening with the timing - and holy cow it was ok at idle but much above idle the timing was all,over the place jumping back and forth - with or with out vacuum line connected - this is with one of those Chinese vacuum advance dizzies. This erratic timing was no good.

I dug around and found a 009 dizzy and popped that in - what a difference. Just looking with the timing light it was steady across the rev range and opening the throttle suddenly while it stumbled a bit it would pick up and the engine would continue to run - with the Chinese dizzy it would just die.

A quick run around the block confirmed that it drives HEAPS better - slight stumble but ok.

I'm on the look out tomorrow for a proper Bosch vacuum advance dizzy :)

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I've got some genuine VW with unknown condition or origin that I will take for sale tomorrow. Come and see me early.

7. saabman

I'll be there

8. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Hey Bernie let us know how the distributor goes.

9. saabman

I cleaned it up this afternoon and went to fit it up but the rotor button shaft is smaller :( so I'll need to find a rotor button for it.

I've written down the numbers and I'll hunt one down tonight.

Thanks for finding that for me.

10. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Is it the same as a late t3?

11. saabman

Don't know yet - I've worked out that it is a type 3 dizzy with the restarded timing on number 3.

But no listing yet for the rotor button.

12. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

13. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I found my spares from my beetle and ill send them to you today.