1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buggergary's 76 sopru camper Flipper

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Buggergary, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Buggergary

Buggergary Member

Hi all since introducing myself in January in the new members section I thought i would start my own post here in members rides. At this stage I don't intend in doing a full restoration just attend to some small rust issues and stop any more progressing then get everything working and hopefully get it back on the road on special interest rego so we can start using it :)
    I have been into volkswagens for 40ish years but mainly beetles and this is my first experience with a komb. I usually do all my own work if i can and will have a go at anything and enjoy tinkering and getting things to work again.
    The story with this kombi started with my sons friend mentioning to him that his parents had a camper for sale. I had made it known to everyone that i was looking for a decent camper so my son took the details and contacted me.
    The price was a firm $15k which i thought was a bit steep from the pictures that i was sent but thought i had better go check it out just in case. So it turns out i'm glad that i did because seeing it in the flesh revealed what i think is a solid buss needing a bit of attention.
    These are the pics i took on the first inspection. 45708021_1943418399294327_1110996945851121664_n.jpg DSC02377.jpg DSC02382.jpg DSC02385.jpg DSC02378.jpg DSC02379.jpg DSC02387.jpg DSC02390.jpg DSC02392.jpg DSC02383.jpg

2. Buggergary

Buggergary Member

3. Buggergary

Buggergary Member

It has rust in the passenger side footwell but all the doglegs look clear and the drivers side footwell looks clear. There are some small bubbles in the bottom of the sliding door but the sills look solid.
    The 3 flipper windows have rust but two look like i might be able to restore them and there is rust bubbled in the panels under the flipper windows.
    both battery trays have rust but look solid and hopefully i can save them if they aren't too far gone.there is a small line of rust on the panel near the drivers side engine lid.
    The roof has a lot of surface rust but it doesn't look deep and drip channels look solid. Not sure what it's like under the pop top fiberglass. The front has a couple of small dents and a small bit of bubbles on one corner of the ridge just above the bumper buldge.
    Mechanically it starts and runs nicely it has some oil over the gearbox and parts of the motor near the oil fill spout and it has a split rocker cover gasket.I only got to go a short distance down a gravel road for a test run but all the gears worked and the shifter felt good.There are a few thumps and rattles but it hasn't been on the road for 8 years so i'll have to go through everything to get rego anyway.
    Overall it thought it was going to be a good buy so i made an offer and a deal was done for $14k so think i have done well.

Barry likes this.
  4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Looks solid.
    At least it’s original and you can see what has been done. Big plus I n my opinion.
    Guess the big question is what is under the pop top but that’s for another day

Congratulations

Buggergary likes this.
  5. Buggergary

Buggergary Member

Tks Barry yes the fact that it looks like no one has tried to restore it before appealed to me. It does have a couple of dodgy repairs on the drivers side rear wheel arch and and on the passenger side but they just look like scrapes they tried to cover up.. It looks all standard and everything that should be there looks to be still there.It has spent the last 8 years in a carport so i'm hoping it's not too bad under the fiberglass but that will be for a later date once i have it back on the road and get to use it for a bit. I have gone over the surface rusty bits with penatrol so far so hopefully it will slow things a bit till then. I don't mind the worn used look so it may stay that way for a bit :)

Barry likes this.
  6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Agree , sound buy and unmolested.
    All perfectly fixable . fingers crossed re under poptop but that's all do-able as well without over capitalising as long as you're doing it yourself.
    Good buy. In time to save it before it becomes a major task.

Buggergary likes this.
  7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Congrats ;) .... thoughts echoed above by Barry and Col :D

Buggergary likes this.
  8. Buggergary

Buggergary Member

Ok on with the story :) Once the deal was done the saga of picking it up started. With bugs i used to just hire a trailer and go pick them up so in i went to hire a trailer then i got hit with the how heavy is the vehicle you are towing as your only allowed 1200kg! Not knowing i headed for google and found campers can be 1500kg+ so towing it myself was out of the question as it was 150km from my place and i couldn't just sneak it home. Luckily one of my work mates suggested someone that restores kombi's that lives an hour away from us and he has a flat bed truck that he uses. I have known this fella for years but never knew he had one.So contact was made and a good price settled on and a day organized :)
    Pick up day went well we loaded the kombi and sent it on it's way while i loaded the ranger with the extras that were included. I hadn't really paid attention when checking out the kombi they said there was other stuff but i didn't expect what they dragged out of the shed for me.
    There was a roof rack that came with the conversion, windscreen stone guard, a driveaway tent with all the poles and rope, the original carbies (a reconditioned set was fitted when the engine was rebuilt with new heads 10 years earlier) plus all the books that originally came with the camper. They also wrote down two previous owners that they knew of and in the service book it was reviled that the kombi was originally purchased by a lawyer in my town Smithton in 1976 from Kevin jack motors of launceston.
    DSC02403.jpg DSC02406.jpg DSC02407.jpg
    Finally home :)
    DSC02410.jpg DSC02418.jpg DSC02421.jpg DSC02422.jpg

onetrackwonder, OSF, Syncro27 and 2 others like this.
  9. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Congratulations in receiving your new camper.As mentioned:rolleyes: it looks like a very nice original unmolested bus,which makes it worth more.:) With some TLC which your are going to give it,it will serve you well.

10. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Bonus bits as well as an original bus:D. I've got the same tent. Still perfect 42 years later:).
    Nice provenance.
    Cheers

11. Buggergary

Buggergary Member

tks everyone yes i think i have found a good one and am very happy so far :) I'm itching to get into it but have other things to complete about the house before winter gets here. I have a shed and large carport to work in so hopefully over winter i can get it ready for rego before summer next year.
    I have mapped out a bit of a plan which involves cleaning and polishing and plenty of penatrol in every place i can get it.
    I am thinking of removing engine and gearbox so i can access the battery areas and sort them as well as clean up the oil on the gearbox and engine,redo the cv boots and replace all fuel related hoses before
    re installing it all back in again.
    Unfortunately I am going to have to remove the stove and fridge and the 240v system as i have been advised that it's difficult to get rego now without getting certificates for their systems and a gas certificate would involve replacing stove and fridge with new ones anyway plus many $$$$$.
    I'm thinking we could live with solar and a deep cell battery system with led lights and a small inverter and a canister stove which is portable and fit into the original stove slot. Plus a 12v 4x4 fridge should suit our needs. I'll hang on to the original bits though as i like to keep things as they came from the factory if i can you never know one day they may be reinstalled.

I have had it since late november but have sneaked some little plays with it over the last few months :) The wipers were seized so i removed half the dash to get them out and dismantled the wiper unit and with a bit of a struggle and a gas torch managed to get the shafts out without any damage so i could clean them up and lube and reassemble. Once back in I only had one speed with no return so i dismantled the wiper switch and found one of the terminals had melted into the plastic housing and not making contact. I made up a new contact and crimped it into place and spent a bit of time getting the 4 springs and contacts back together :( While i was in there i removed the washer valve and installed a micro switch so i can chuck the air washer system that leaks all over your knees. A washer pump was purchased from Wish for $4 and my plan is to install it down beside the washer tank. Sorry no picks with the wiper restoration because i know you lot like to see picks :) I do have some of the micro switch before i reinstalled the wiper switch.
    49136599_286184738758227_8450972067599220736_n.jpg before
    49348442_2206521906334598_6977968945596727296_n.jpg 49183589_501280030397916_7115129091266707456_n.jpg after.

Syncro27 likes this.
  12. Buggergary

Buggergary Member

Had a look at the drivers side door lock today on flipper.Removed the latch and cleaned off the old sticky grease and re lubed so everything was moving freely again. I have never been able to get a key into the lock so removed the barrel and dismantled it. Found that someone had probably used the wrong key in it at some stage and found the tiny spring loaded flap that covers the key hole all bent up and filling the hole.After a fair bit of fiddling i managed to get it back into shape and working again. I then crimped the cover back on the barrel and cleaned up the wafers and put it all back into the handle. The return spring on the end that activates the lock was all out of shape so had to bend and tweak it to get it to do it's job again.
    I also learnt that it was the same key pattern as the ignition which is a bonus because the passenger side must have an after market one fitted and uses a huge key that was different to the rest. Now with the drivers side one working perfectly again all the locks except the pass door are the same pattern. Hopefully i will be able to find another barrel for the pass side that i can modify to match the rest. WP_20190218_23_01_04_Pro (Small).jpg

David H likes this.
  13. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

You should be able to take that barrel and your key to a locksmith to re-key.

Butchers way is to stick your desired key in the exposed barrel and gently grind the protruding bits

Wayne murray, Buggergary and David H like this.
  14. Buggergary

Buggergary Member

Yea been there done that with beetles lol I have a heap of old beetle barrels so might see how i go and making one up first I rarely use a key on the passenger side anyway :)
    Plus i'm a bit of a tight a55 :p

Wayne murray and Barry like this.
  15. David H

I got one re keyed for $20:).
    Cheers

Buggergary likes this.
  16. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

That’s 3 beers at the pub

17. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Awesome camper with loads of fantastic bits :D

Buggergary likes this.
  18. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Great tent, I have 2, one for each of my T3's

Buggergary likes this.
  19. Buggergary

Buggergary Member

Had another play today and now i have all the kombi keyed the same :)
    I used the parts out of some beetle key barrels and after a lot of juggling and swapping of wafers i got another barrel that will work off the main key and fitted it to the pass front door which was the odd one out. Next i would like to find some blanks and see if i can get them cut from the numbers off the original key as all the keys i do have have had 43 years of hard wear and tare and are very worn and thin.
    Does anyone know where i can find some blanks with the vw on them?

David H likes this.
  20. David H

One of my tougher lessons ( I say this as it was 38 yrs ago & I still remember it!) was the entrusted person losing the only key:(, in the sand, some distance from home. Code on drivers door barrel saved the day after I broke in thru the Sopru roof & removed door card etc. Still did a lot of miles to get a new one or two! Now have 5 or 6 keys in various places:D.
    https://au.vwheritage.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=door key blank t2
    Cheers

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Buggergary likes this.