1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bus stop 2012 ...Convoy details

Discussion in 'The Kombi Club Bus Stop 2012' started by vwfreak03, Jan 6, 2012.

1. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

It all depends a bit on who actually wants to meet in Ballarat. If there's a few of us, then we could possibly catch up for awhile. It's still a bit up in the air. There's even a possibility that I'll be the only one going that day (people's plans often change) and if so then I'll probably bypass Ballarat, unless my friend Kat needs to be picked up in Ballarat as opposed to her driving out to my place the night before. I also have to leave my dog in Ballarat for the duration, but my plan is to take her in the previous day. I also just got a PM from someone else who's asking about a Ballarat convoy.

At the moment, it looks very much like I'll be going in to Ballarat Thursday morning and leaving from there, so yes, hopefully we can catch up. A convoluted answer I realise, but even this close, plans do tend to change from day to day :umm: All I can say at this stage is to stay tuned.
    Aime.

2. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

don't blame you if you try and bypass Ballarat :lol: but keen to catch up if you come in

3. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

The current plan is to come into Ballarat Thursday morning, drop Molly off (my dog), pick up Kat then generally wander off towards Swan Hill.

If anybody else wants to tag along, then we'll have to arrange a meeting spot, a time to be there and a time to depart.

4. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Also, I've been checking the map and the shortest way is not through Maldon as I first thought. Here's the two routes and distances from Ballarat........

Swan Hill via Creswick, Maldon, Inglewood, Kerang = 305lkm.

Swan Hill via Creswick, Clunes, Maryborough, Dunolly, Inglewood, Kerang = 285klm.

Really, all I want to do it get there without hassles, so I'm voting for the most direct route. I'm sure Maldon isn't the only place with a good pie shop on the way.

Actually, someone has given "Gray's Bakery" a five star rating, but it might be a bit late for lunch. Maybe a cook-up in a wayside stop will suffice??

5. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Alice and I will not be konvoying up from Melbourne for the Bus Stop this year as we hope to beat the traffic out of Melbourne by leaving on Thursday (or earlier) and camping en route - but we look forward to greeting everyone when we get there! :)

6. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

I might just bump into you lot we are doing great ocean road first then going up . look forward to meeting some new faces and having a beer with you woz.

7. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

I will be going from Camperdown some time earlier in the week. I imagine I will see some people here and there through that week, but probably will catch the lion's share on the Friday and make up for the lack of Konvoi with Kruising and perhaps a small drink.

8. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Camping on route?? :eek:

It's only 300klm at best! You'll be there in 5 hours:wtf:

9. xerxes

xerxes Member

Haha Aime some kombis need a bit of a nanna nap on the way - 5 hours is a long time for Xerxes I know that!! :D

10. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

The 5 hours IS with "nana-naps" along the way:umm:

11. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

We are getting to Melb on Tuesday morn and then doing some sight seeing on the way there. Are booked to arrive Friday but might be talked in to changing this if there is a convoy from Ballarat area.

Adrian

12. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Still keen do do this if others are coming from Sydney early Thursday morning may leave earlier than 6am.

May need to adjust the route with the floods though depending on the weather between now and then.

13. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Doesn't look like they'll be much of a convoy from Ballarat at this stage. I think Wes is heading up earlier in the week. Kat and myself are heading up Thursday morning and you'd be welcome to join us or perhaps catch up along the way. Actually, I'm home all week leading up to Thursday, so if you wanted some free parking, I'm only 30mins the other side of Ballarat in a nice, quiet bush setting. You could take the kids to Sovereign Hill and/or Science-works just on the Ballarat side of Melbourne and just off the Westgate freeway. Katrina and kids also welcome. Just let me know, but of course I'm not being presumptuous. You might prefer to sight-see directly along the way. If you want to see the biggest second-hand and antique store, then drop in at Castlemaine. Ask any local and they'll point you in the right direction. You can even buy brass cannons there:eek:

And Adrian, if you go your own way I strongly suggest you stop in at the Lake Boga Catalina aircraft museum either going up or coming back. I believe flying one of those old planes was even worse than driving a Kombi with worn steering in a strong cross wind:lol:

Anyway, the picture will become clearer in the next couple of weeks. The event is getting closer and I actually felt a little tingle then at the mere thought of it all.

14. sacky

sacky Member

Im still leaving Calder Park BP at 8 am on the Thursday if anyone wants to tag a long take my time and get there by 2 pm i will be happy or meet others on the way.

15. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Heading North a few days pre-Easter for a Murray Valley Kombi Kruize. Catching up with friends and family pre Bus Stop!
    Se you at Swanny!

16. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Have you decided on a route yet Sacky?? If our paths intersect and the stars are aligned, there's a chance we might bump into each other somewhere along the way.

I'm leaving Thursday morning and at this stage going via Ballarat, Clunes, Maryborough, Dunolly, Inglewood, Serpentine, then up the Loddon Valley Highway to Kerang, then to Lake Boga to check out the Catalina museum and on to Swan Hill from there.

http://www.murrayriver.com.au/lake-boga-flying-boat-museum-980/

17. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Any idea which direction after melbourne? You will be more than welcome at my folk's place in Camperdown. I will shoot off the following day to visit my sister and so on. Or if you go down the great ocean road for example, I would like to come and say hello. PM me if you like?

(P.S. No, I don't need you to fix anything (yet))

18. sacky

sacky Member

Hi Aime it would be great to meet up on the road somewhere i will be going up the Calder to Eagle-hawk or Bridgewater for morning tea and take the Loddon and Murray Valley Hwy to Swan Hill stopping at Kerang for lunch. The only time frame i am sticking to is my 8 am departure and would like to be in Swan Hill by about 2 pm, so i do have some time to play with and working on about 3 to 4 hours to Kerang, this is the most direct route for me.

19. Kombi Kapers

Kombi Kapers Active Member

Nath and other northern Busstoppers,
    I won't be going to Bus Stop this year due to work committments. However I will be at my property in Cootamundra over Easter so I'm making an offer to you and any other northern convoyers - if you'd like to use Coota for an overnight stopover Easter Thu, then I'm offering my place to you to use.
    My place is a large suburban block which will take about 4 kombis in the back yard, and I also have access to the local airfield which has plenty of room and toilet facilities. Happy to offer all this and a Thu evening bbq completely free for my kombi pals.

According to Travelmate, Swan Hill is 525kms, 6.25 hours from Coota so not sure if it serves your purpose to arrive Swan Hill Fri earlyish. Anyway the offer's on the table so if you're interested drop me a private mail with your phone number and I'll give you a call.

John

20. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

will be leaving mildura early good friday .....anybody else heading to swan hill that way ?