1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bus Stop 2016 Wrap up

Discussion in 'The Kombi Club Bus Stop 2016' started by KombiMadness, Mar 28, 2016.

1. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Just got home after an epic 2 day journey down to Forbes on Thursday (arriving Friday), and the same 2 day journey on Sunday going back (arriving an hour ago).
    Hmm, 4 days of driving for 2 days of Bus Stop? The bean counters would say, this is not sustainable, your business is running at a loss! To them I would retort, " you didn't see all the amazing Space Theme costumes - that alone made the journey worth it!"

Great camping spot by the river, great company, awesome Kombis, imbibing alcoholic beverages whilst talking crap - what could be better. Well, not meeting the legendary John Doherty, Esquire was a bit of a disappointment :(
    But I'll get over it and hopefully the esteemed gentleman will be at Lake Macquarie in 2017!

Drive home safe, everyone :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Debstar, Roo, 73kombi and 10 others like this.
  2. liz bradley

liz bradley Member

We too have arrived safely home. BLUBUS didn't miss a beat. Had a few no doubt cranky followers on the steep inclines, but hey, not everyone is in a hurry. Can I just say again how fantastic it was that all you guys welcomed us as new members and really made us feel at home. Thanks to Kaz and Mike for loaning us pushcars for the rally, to Anne Maree for a warm welcome, to Michelle for her brilliant planning and as always to Lorraine for that brilliant laugh and open arms. We are keen to catch up with as many as possible at Berry, whenever that is scheduled, at Old Bar in October and again next Easter at BusStop 2017. Cheers

Debstar, Billy Boy, 73kombi and 7 others like this.
  3. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

The Sunburnt Express made it home even after I drove it half of the way. Thanks to all for the warm welcome and sorry we didn't get around to all camps. But there's always next time. Thanks also for all the encouragement and comments on the 23, it is still sinking in that we are out there driving it now. Was funny to come home to an empty spot in the shed, where it has been for some time. Dno is over there now putting some of the tools away that have been spread from one end to the other.

Debstar, 73kombi, mish13 and 9 others like this.
  4. Shaun

Shaun Member

We've made it home too (we didn't have very far to go, but took the scenic route). Thanks very much for a great weekend and for being so warm and welcoming to us first time Bus Stop attendees. We enjoyed meeting you all and our 8 yr old is very proud of his VW Easter Egg Hunt bag! He didn't want to leave and I bet all his school friends will hear nothing but kombis, kombis, kombis tomorrow! We hope to be back in 2017. Safe travelling all:)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Debstar, 73kombi, mish13 and 6 others like this.
  5. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

G'day Groovers. I'm still dealing with my PBSD (post bus stop depression) so I'll post again later. In the meantime, I'm trying to put another movie montage together and thought I could incorporate the prime news footage. Does anyone know about the copyright laws and permission rights on such things?

Chrissy.

Debstar and melissa like this.
  6. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

no idea but just credit them for it and if you get a 'Dear Bill" letter you just remove the footage.

Debstar, 73kombi and Ninga like this.
  7. wenmac

wenmac Active Member

The way I look at it is, It's on the internet, it's fair game. :cool:

Ninga likes this.
  8. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

That's what Paul said too :D

wenmac likes this.
  9. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Rolled out Tuesday morn Kruizin with Chris and John and headed to Newcastle to terrorize the family. . Easy run till 50km to go and the sky darkened and let go big time. Kept rolling at 60kph max until it eased. Few more heavy showers en route and arrive safely as did Chris and John to their destination.
    And the review? Great event. Well attended with a nice batch of first timers.. Bus Stop 'Virgins".
    Camp ground gets my tick, compact, green, and it all worked!
    Congrats and thanks to organisers especially Mish and Virginia..
    Now time for a rest..

Debstar, 73kombi, mish13 and 6 others like this.
  10. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Little Red made it home under her own steam!!! yay :p

What a fabulous Bus Stop - massive props to Michelle and Virginia for pulling it all together - you did a marvellous job with the ideal location. Weather was great until Meriwa where we copped a heavy downpour on the way home.

The trip down to the Bus Stop on Thursday started off well until we got to Dunedoo where I filled up Little Red from half a tank. About 5 minutes down the road she started missing and loss of power, I pulled over, she didn't stop but I gave her a good rev and all was good again until I got to 35kms out of Parkes. The day was getting warm but I didn't think it was extreme. She was missing and like she was starving for fuel. I pulled over again, told Scott to keep going to the park, and I waited for the NRMA. After about 30 minutes, the guy turns up, he thinks there is junk in the carbs so he takes off the air filter, revs it with his hand over to hopefully clear anything blocking the jet and fingers crossed, all is good again. So he has to go to another job, gives me his number and some mechanics cards for Parkes in case it happens again and off I go. All is going well until I get 5kms from Forbes - the same symptoms only worse - so I call my personal NRMA guy but its out of his area so I have to call the NRMA again - they send his boss out and he has a look but I am only about 200m from their workshop so he gets me to go there (after parking and waiting, she starts and drives fine) they empty carby and fuel filter and think it is sorted - I then drive to the park to find that Scott got a flat tyre as he went in to the park...

So nice to catch up with all of you lovely Kombi Clubbers - a huge thank you goes out to Col, Stevie, Peter, Geoff, Dean and every other person that helped out with suggestions or advice with Little Red - lots of things combined - points closing, spark plugs, carby, valves and especially rubbish gaskets on the new muffler that made for a very loud and hot engine bay - the amazing thing is that I had a muffler kit with good gaskets that I had bought over 12 months ago in the box of magic tricks in the back - this was fitted up and suddenly nice and quiet and no more hot exhaust going into engine bay. You guys got me home and next step will be to get proper carby and dizzy instead of Chinese.

To everyone that wished me happy birthday and gave me presents and cards- how lucky am I to spend it with you all and have a fancy dress night thrown in?? - we had a great night and it was so good to see you all dressed up and getting involved.

This Bus Stop showed how people will help each other out when they can. It reinforces why we are members here and it is a nice feeling. We have not long got home and unpacked - little Gracie was crying yesterday and saying she didn't want to leave - she was expressing how we were all feeling, poor little treasure. I look forward to catching up with lots of you over the coming year and planning for next year's Bus Stop on my own doorstep. I hope everyone else enjoyed themselves too.

Debstar, 73kombi, mish13 and 10 others like this.
  11. jobell

jobell Active Member

Great weekend! Thank you to Michelle and Virginia for all your efforts in bringing this together. It was lovely to see some of the same faces as previous years as well as many new, as well as such a fantastic collection of kombis. My and Chris' third Bus Stop and the best yet. Miss D purred all the way home (thank goodness!) and even made a new kombi friend in Young on the way. Hope to see you all again next year, if not sooner!

Debstar, 73kombi, mish13 and 3 others like this.
  12. Tickle

Tickle Active Member

We've also just made it home, minus Custard, who we had to leave behind in a little caravan park in the middle of nowhere. She will be towed home in the next few days.
    Besides that little hiccup, I had a great time at busstop, the weather was kind to us and the park was just lovely. It made a difference that everyone in the town was also very welcoming of us.
    Looking forward to 2017 already ✌️

Debstar, 73kombi, mish13 and 4 others like this.
  13. David McMahon

David McMahon Member

What a great Bustop it was...Bev and I have not stopped talking about it since arriving home in Old Bar..Congratulations to Michelle and Virginia for organising such a successful event.....My "highlights" we're : 1. The fabulous Caravan Park , 2. The dress-up Dinner and 3. The model kombi races......Thank you everyone for just being there and talking to me.....it made it such a wonderful time...I am already looking forward to the next one at Easter 2017.....see you all again at Valla and Old Bar....regards, Bev and David McMahon

Debstar, 73kombi, mish13 and 2 others like this.
  14. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

So who won the large RC kombi event this year? There was no-one there with their dodgy meccano setup (ie. yours truly) swamping the radio signals to take the chequered flag. I am thinking of taking a less intrusive setup next time so I just have to rely on driving skill and bribes;)

Debstar and 73kombi like this.
  15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yep. thanks big time Mish and Virginia.
    All the planning and work made for a smooth w/e and choice of park was excellent with cruisy operators and pleasant riverside surroundings. Makes all the difference. Sufficient to make me take the break on future trips qld to vic etc.

And of course all the usual and new suspects that give the reason to make the journey.

Except for one JD who failed to show after paying for my sat night dinner and insisting I attend.:rolleyes:
    Last time I get the best shorts and lippy on and wait for you boy:p. Trust you are well and primed for next year.

Didn't catch all to say goodbye but we all know what the Le-mans start of a 1000km dash home is like.

cheers

Debstar, 73kombi, mish13 and 4 others like this.
  16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday Paul.
    focus for next year for most may be GPS control.
    And for Tangles - straight line ability? or more correctly , ability to go in a straight line

17. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

Nah. Just gonna work on more speed.

jobell likes this.
  18. Joy Kombi Wolfsburg

Joy Kombi Wolfsburg Well-Known Member

Hey Melissa, we found Scott's glasses washed up down stream. Will bring to next busstop.
    image.jpeg

Debstar, BrianK, 73kombi and 2 others like this.
  19. Alpal

That would be Mark "Oldman". Dedicated the win to the invisible JD.

Debstar, 73kombi and KombiMadness like this.
  20. Alpal

Scotty has a boof head???

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016