1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bus Stop Attrition Rate 2019

Discussion in 'The Kombi Club Bus stop 2019' started by Grantus, Apr 29, 2019.

?

Did you make it there and back?

1. Yes, no worries.

58.3%
  2. Had some issues, but sorted them on the way.

33.3%
  3. No, tray top was required.

8.3%
  1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Just curious as to how many starters, made it there and back under there own power, for future reference ?

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

1800 km round trip.....no problems at all.
    Towed the Pod and cruised on 95 on the highways.
    Another trip to prove that a stock engine set up by an experienced VW mechanic, regularly serviced and driven to the conditions will get you there and back.;)
    Very happy.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Grantus, Mordred, Mr Beckstar and 3 others like this.
  3. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

About 4,000km under the belt.
    First 2,500 was at full pelt up to 120km/hr. No issues... until there was an issue.
    Rebuilt dizzy, new coil and then we made it back at Kombi Speed.
    There was a tray top ride involved. But at least she got us home.
    I will kerb the right foot next time. ;)

Grantus, Mordred, Mr Beckstar and 2 others like this.
  4. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

All good getting there and most of the way back - needed the tray top to get home from Sydney - did not want to attempt the M1 running the way he was only to get stuck in traffic or cause traffic. Has not been looked at yet. Could have happened anywhere.

Grantus, Mordred, Mr Beckstar and 3 others like this.
  5. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

2500 + km round trip including up and over Mt Hotham and a bit of a wander through NE Vic on the way home to Mildura :)
    Only issue, the dashcam overheated while parked in the sun at Swan Hill..............big deal. :eek:

Grantus, Mordred, Mr Beckstar and 2 others like this.
  6. prone

prone Well-Known Member

Approximately 1400km round trip. Was in the T3 towing a pod trailer. Cruised at around 95-100km on the flat but was much slower up hills. The T3 did the trip easy though :)

7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

1600km round trip. Slow to fast...what a blast:). Not a single problem:D.
    Cheers

Grantus, Mordred and Mr Beckstar like this.
  8. Olive

Olive New Member

1700 klm with front tyres rubbing under guards when we hit a bump. Expert??? had redone front suspension but didnt seem to think that hitting the bump stop before the tyre hit the under body would be a better idea.
    Also poor starting & running rich (after being looked at the week before) was a little off putting.
    Anyway just another adventure!!!

9. Aspudis

Aspudis Active Member

We only needed a new set of points in Batemans Bay because Penny wouldn’t start up again after being turned off with 68BUS. Apart from that it was all good! 2000+km trip.

10. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I didn't realize that it ended up being points. Glenn said he came over to assist. It was a bit chaotic there, the kids had had enough by then too. But thanks for coming to our rescue.

I have the same issue. I have worn the metal shiny on both sides from scrubbing so hard. I am going to see what I have to do to rectify. Dare say new shocks and lifting the front a few splines. But need to find some time to check into that. Quite scary given the bumps on some of the freeway speed road around Mallacoota.

Grantus, David H and Aspudis like this.
  11. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

We did 1840 km return. The issues on Saturday morning and Monday morning were both due to a fairly new set of points failing which may have been due to a faulty condenser. Both were Bosch units installed less than 2000 km before we left for Bus Stop. I’ve kept the dwell between 44 and 48 degrees for their whole life and the contact surface was still flat. Really can’t see what else I could have done to prevent that. Electronic units can fail too and not original so that’s not the answer for me. Maybe a change of brand of points/consdenser as I’ve already had a Bosch condenser fail before I renewed them both. That one didn’t stop me though; it just made the idle miss a beat every now and then and the occasional stall at idle.

12. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Did 1200 Km round trip. With no issues what so ever,wash to get the bugs off and a polish required and I'm ready to go again.

13. Aspudis

Aspudis Active Member

That auto electrician at Batemans Bay where we stopped put in a different set of points than I had been using Chris. He told me not to use the ones I had in it. He gave me the box with the part number on the outside and told me to use them from now on. They had a ‘V’ at the end for ventilated. It’s in the glovebox so if you want it I’ll get the number when I get home.

Grantus, Mr Beckstar and MAP77 like this.
  14. arthur

arthur New Member

Left Burleigh on Sat before Easter. Went via the Barrington Tops in the mud and crossed the fords. After which we had trouble with tyres and wheel alignment. Travelled from Singleton along the Putty Road to Katoomba. Lived in luxury for 2 nights at the Fairmont at Leura. Next night at the golf club at Nowra for another wheel alignment the next morning. Finally, Mallacoota. What beautiful scenery on the way. What a lovely spot. What a great time with great people. Thank you everyone for making it special. Whilst there we found out we had to go to a funeral in Melbourne. Dave and Bev passed us near Bairnsdale. We never saw them again. They were flying. Showing that the T5 is quicker than a T2. We left there and drove north again to Albury. Went to Dawn Service at 5.30am. We drove to Gundagai for morning tea and they were having their Anzac March. We stopped and watched. We then drove to The Entrance for the night and drove home on Friday. 6200kms round trip. You know how much Bob loves driving. Cheers Bob & Sheryl

kombi69, Grantus, David H and 2 others like this.
  15. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

Everything was running smoothly......until we ran out of coffee 150kms from home......panic.

Grantus, TeeBee, David H and 4 others like this.
  16. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Past 2000km and now in Echuca via Eden back to Bruthen up over Hotham and Albury. Still a few days till we head home. Will vote once we make it back.

Helped with 4 buses this trip (inc Chris) that kept them off the tilt tray for Easter. Sad to hear about Spotty Herbert getting stuck in Sydney.

In Chris’s case, I was amazed that the near new points and condenser failed, and with no obvious damage on the points.

Adrian

17. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I ticked "no worries" but now realise I stubbed my toe and broke a head light

You get that...................

18. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Best not to kick your headlights barefoot...;)

TeeBee and Mr Beckstar like this.
  19. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Yes would be great if you could let me know. I’ve heard of Blue Streak SMP and Echlin but haven’t checked out where to get them. Hopefully i’ll Sort it by next year and the 2020 attrition rate will be reduced compared with this year. So far, 1 in 4 people had problems!

Grantus likes this.
  20. Aspudis

Aspudis Active Member

This is them. I don’t really have much of an idea about this stuff So I’m not saying they are any good. Not saying it’s anything to do with your problems. But if you’re looking for another type of points I guess it couldn’t hurt to try them.
    The contacts are ‘ventilated’ and have a hole through them so they are not solid like the ones I took out. He said that they cool down quicker and don’t burn as quick apparently.

CBBE7A2C-9224-4786-8F73-BAF8B6AFB306.jpeg

Mordred, Mr Beckstar, Grantus and 3 others like this.